"Really good" Indian restaurants in Berlin

90 posts in this topic

Sabzi is a Persian loanword commonly used in every-day Hindi. It means 'vegetable'. Therefore,  Lamb Sabzi is lamb with vegetables, and a perfectly legitimate sounding name for an Indian dish.

Mind you, just looked at the menu, and it looks like all the usual suspects for mediocre German-style Indian food are there, like "Chicken Mango" and other such horrors.

Despite my previous posts stating that such things do not exist, I can confirm that there is an indian (actually punjabi) restaurant in Berlin that is up to snuff. https://www.facebook.com/restaurantbahadur/ is maybe nothing special in the grand scheme of things, but in berlin it is one of a kind.  Good, varied and interesting curries, tandoori etc that would all pass muster on any british high street.  As its out in the uncool west it is rarely full and prices are reasonable. 

As with any indian restauirant it is worth talking to the waiter about how you like your food but in my experience they tend to get it about right.

FWIW I have taken a couple of punjabis (from both amritsar and pakistan) there and apart from the fun they had laughing with the staff they also liked the food as have all the brits I know who go there.

By far the best restaurant in Berlin is Agni @ Maobit. The chicken tikka's are another level. 

The Amrit or Mirchi on Oranienburger str are good as well.

On 13.6.2017, 16:19:24, slntscrms said:

The Amrit or Mirchi on Oranienburger str are good as well.

honestly?

Amrit and Mirchi are low rent cocktail bars masquerading as indian restaurants.

On 6/13/2017, 4:19:24, slntscrms said:

The chicken tikka's are another level. 

The chicken tikka is are another level.

My brain hurts.

16 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

honestly?

Amrit and Mirchi are low rent cocktail bars masquerading as indian restaurants.

I think Amrit was OKish many years ago, but nowadays it is really bad.

On 06/06/2017, 11:39:45, zwiebelfisch said:

Despite my previous posts stating that such things do not exist, I can confirm that there is an indian (actually punjabi) restaurant in Berlin that is up to snuff. https://www.facebook.com/restaurantbahadur/ is maybe nothing special in the grand scheme of things, but in berlin it is one of a kind.  Good, varied and interesting curries, tandoori etc that would all pass muster on any british high street.  As its out in the uncool west it is rarely full and prices are reasonable. As with any indian restauirant it is worth talking to the waiter about how you like your food but in my experience they tend to get it about right.

Well it took me over six months to make it to the wild Witwenbezirk aka Wilmersdorf, but I'm happy to report that @zwiebelfisch got it about right with Bahadur. In the UK it would probably not stand out particularly, but in Berlin it really does, if only because of the dire state of most Indian restaurants here. As this was our first visit we played it safe - samosas followed by Murgh Tikka Masala w/basmati rice, some papadums thrown in for free with (very hot) chutney. Maybe four out of five stars as I can't say it blew me away or was equal to my favourite Anglo-Indian eateries back in the UK; but well worth the trek. Pleasant service as well. The place was pretty full, so it looks like enough have discovered it. Hope they keep the standard up - just wish there were a few more like it instead of the insipid fare that you usually find over here.

Hey guys, Indian here, and a cooking enthusiast, following the discussion for a bit. Let me start off with an old Indian joke:

A man wanted to throw a party for 200 people in rural India. He gave the food business to a cook/caterer, and asked him for a list of things needed for the cooking. The caterer gave him the list, got the ingredients, and set to cook. 

A few hours before the party the man came running to the caterer and said, 'Hey I've made the mistake of inviting 300 additional people - how much more food do we need?'

The caterer replied, 'No problem sir, we have enough, all we need to do is to make the food spicier.' 

First off, 'Indian' doesn't have to be a synonym for 'spicy' or even 'curry' for that matter. We have many dishes that are neither spicy nor come with a sauce. In the Western state of Gujarat, it's not uncommon for most of the food on your plate to be sweet. Second, the best part of Indian cuisine (if there is such a thing) is the variety. India has so many cultures and states and variety that it's impossible to call it one cuisine - there are literally several hundred dishes that are completely different schools of flavour and preparation. 

The basic principle of Indian food is that unlike Europe, where there is one dominant flavour in a dish, our dishes often have a combination of them complement each other well. So the sign of good Indian food is this balance - an aroma, a taste, and aftertaste and so on. If this journey is maintained, it's good Indian food. 

Mostly what restaurants serve here is north Indian food, with a few exceptions like the Vindaloo, which is Goan, and not very popular in the rest of India, and Chicken Tikka Masala which is British, not Indian (Chicken Tikka is Indian though, means grilled boneless Chicken and traditionally comes without a sauce, often served as an appetiser).

Back to the discussion, I think Sadhu in Kreuzberg isn't too bad. It serves North Indian / Pakistani food. They serve Bhatura bread which is very typical of the north (Delhi/Punjab state) of India and I was very presently surprised to find them there, since I'm always looking for alternates to rice. (In north India, rice isn't necessarily a part of every meal, breads are more common). The flavour is spot-on, though the spice levels have been adjusted to German palettes - but still not that disappointing if you're coming from India. And most importantly, they get the combinations right and the flavours still compliment each other well. At least that's been my experience. Not to mention I always found the food to be fresh - it's easy to tell that by the sauce's consistancy.

As for spice, you can always pile your plate with Pickle if you want things hotter - that's what we do in India. 

Hope this helps. 

My favorite Indian restaurant is called Zaika, located in the North of Prenzlauer Berg. Probably not the most authentic Indian experience, but very tasty.

OK, caveat emptor and all that but there appears to be a new Indian in Charlottenburg. I read a positive review, hope springs eternal and all that, but bound to be disappointed...any reports welcome.

Bombay Café Bunty, Knesebeckstr 18

https://www.bombaycafebuntys.de

This is probably a cuisine where you get most options in some of the lesser-known and / or cheaper areas.   I am no expert on the cuisine but there's enough round my way that I certainly like.   Ajanta on Bahnhofstr. 12 Köpenick is great (salivating just thinking) and there's quite a few others out to Friedrichshagen and probably further.

http://www.ajanta-koepenick.de/

Almost pointless to post anything in this moribund thread, but a new Indian restaurant has opened in Kreuzberg offering "cuisines of North and South India". Swadesh, Falckenstein Straße 44A, 10997 Berlin.

Yes - I know. But FWIW...

Well I popped by a few days ago and have to admit that it's really OK, although nothing stellar. What was good was the lunchtime menu price where all veg dishes were €5,50, chicken €5,90, lamb €6,50. Received a complimentary papadum, then the signature chicken tikka masala served on a metal tray dish with yoghurt, some dal, basmati rice. Could have been more spicy (usual complaint) but I had not specifically requested this. The meat was soft and nicely marinaded rather than fried chicken with some sauce on top. Finished with a small complimentary mango sweet. Service was friendly, I was surprised not to see more people. 

Fazit: even if around average elsewhere, this was actually quite good for Berlin. Would return!

Hesitate to share this article in Exberliner (a) as you never know if it's promotional and (b) places are all still closed, except for takeaway and (c) this thread is one disappointment after another...

https://www.exberliner.com/whats-on/food-drink/best-indian-pakistani-restaurants/

...but what the heck. From the list, I can say:

• Chutnify (NK/Przenzelberg): tried it a couple of times, but I remember it as nothing special. Hype.
  • Bahadur (Wilmersdorf): went a few times, but was variable from really quite OK to la-la. Didn't live up to the promise.
  • Swadesh (XBerg): as you can see from the review I posted in this thread in August 2020, this was actually OK (for Berlin)
  • Agni (Moabit): went once a long time ago. Not so special that I returned.
  • Mann-O-Salwa (NK): fairly new, have yet to try
  • Mama Shabz (XBerg): have not yet tried, it's heavily hyped but will give it a chance

Die Hoffnung stirbt zuletzt

You sadly seem to be on your own on this thread, john!😒

If it is any consolation, Crete has nothing even remotely close to poor Indian restaurants in Berlin!

We cook our own- you can at least get some of the spices these days- not because of Greeks, though. They don‘t do spicy...

One does what one can!

As it happens, I decided to give Mann-O-Salwa a try this lunchtime. Starter: Onion Bhaji & main: Chicken Tikka Masala as takeaway. The starter was a good sized portion, but lots of individual rings rather than the ball/clump you normally get. The main, a typical Anglo-Indian invention, is a kind of standard I often order in the UK. And as luck would have it, although it would have been just normal or standard in London, this was actually "quite good" for Berlin. 

So it was worth checking out after all, will try some of the other dishes...curious whether this will prove to be a one-off experience or be more reliable.

that was the one I was most interested in from your list.  I will be sure to check it out sometime in the near future.  If a Londoner says it's "normal" then I can't go wrong! 

Just now, dessa_dangerous said:

that was the one I was most interested in from your list.  I will be sure to check it out sometime in the near future.  If a Londoner says it's "normal" then I can't go wrong! 

Well don't get too excited! It was only one dish, so feel it's a bit premature to judge. But at least I feel like going back, which must mean something...

In "normal" times, I am in Berlin a few times a year so I am very interested in your impressions, so I keep an eye on this thread :-) . I hope things will get back to normal soon so I can try out the "quite good" one. :D:D

Years ago, I was invited to join some Indian business partners who were in Berlin for a conference for dinner. They were quite happy with the food, but I cannot remember the name of the restaurant, nor where it was, because we all went together in a taxi...