"Really good" Indian restaurants in Berlin

90 posts in this topic

Way to start off my first post!

I am not an expert in Indian food but my wife and I enjoy it from time to time. With some colleagues I've been at Tandoori Mahal in Köpenick and found it to be really, really good, especially the various sauces/dippings (Joghurt and such) which I love but always find a bit heavy to bear after dinner.

It's not around the corner, being Köpenick, the place outside is not too fancy, the inside is good, the service is good but as I said the food was something I liked more than other places I've been around in Berlin. Worth a try!

Went to Agni based on some recommendations here. Just the usual bland stuff they serve everywhere in Berlin... Tasted more like Heinz tomato soup than anything remotely Indian. 

Def do not recommend it. I suspect the recommendations are written by them.

Saddhu at Falckensteinstr. 41 do an ok Butter Chicken, also Chai Wallahs opp Gorli do a fairly decent one on wednesdays.
Several friends recommend Chutnify...havent tried yet but I trust their opinions, sounds like mostly dosa type stuff. 

My go-to Indian restaurant is Masala on Friedbergstrasse. It's about a 5-minute walk from S-Charlottenburg, U-Wilmersdorfer Str., and the M49/X49/X34 bus (Amtsgerichtsplatz).

When I order the Chicken Kohlapuri or Chicken Madras "Indian spicy", they make it pretty damn spicy. We've been going there regularly for over 15 years and have never had a bad meal.

On ‎24‎.‎02‎.‎2016‎ ‎13‎:‎49‎:‎53, funky monkey said:

Saddhu at Falckensteinstr. 41 do an ok Butter Chicken, also Chai Wallahs opp Gorli do a fairly decent one on wednesdays.
Several friends recommend Chutnify...havent tried yet but I trust their opinions, sounds like mostly dosa type stuff. 

I agree to funky, the Restaurant Sadhu is a good choice for Indian and Pakistani Food!

Every time somebody takes me to an Indian restaurant in Berlin claiming it's 'good' I've been disappointed.

Sure, it's eatable, but I've never been impressed.

Lucky that I got to eat at Needoo in Whitechapel two weeks ago.

Maybe because Indian (like Mexican) food fans are pretty elitist, you are excited to take them to that new restuarant and after they eat there they will say something like "It was OK-ish but not really the real thing". Well I've been to India (and Mexico) enough to know that the "real thing" is not just one.

I have stopped recommending Indian (and Mexican) restaurants because of that.

1 hour ago, Loobster said:

Every time somebody takes me to an Indian restaurant in Berlin claiming it's 'good' I've been disappointed.

Sure, it's eatable, but I've never been impressed.

Lucky that I got to eat at Needoo in Whitechapel two weeks ago.

If you want to boast about going to an Indian restaurant in Whitechapel then you might want to consider the Lahore Kebab House in Umberston Street, E1. One of the oldest and original Pakistani restaurants in London. I've been going there for over 30 years and as simple as it is, the food is just fantastic.

Although Needo's is better than anything you'll find in Berlin it's just a spin off the Tayyabs restaurant round the corner where the owner used to be the manager, Tayyab's much like the Lahore is also very good.

As for Berlin, has nobody ever noticed that there's actually more Indian restaurants than Indian People?  this was told to me by the owner of the Calcutta Indian restaurant (also not a recommendation) who claims to be the first Indian restaurant in Germany. Of all the restaurants I have visited in Berlin and believe me it's a lot, I have only ever been back to one more than twice, that was not because I liked it, it's because my mate lives round the corner and it's convenient.

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

Maybe because Indian (like Mexican) food fans are pretty elitist, you are excited to take them to that new restuarant and after they eat there they will say something like "It was OK-ish but not really the real thing". Well I've been to India (and Mexico) enough to know that the "real thing" is not just one.

I have stopped recommending Indian (and Mexican) restaurants because of that.

Discussion of authenticity is valid, not least because most "indian" food is nothing of the sort it tends to be bangladesh or maybe punjab style but regardless of that the sad fact is that indian food in berlin just isnt good.  Sure there are bad indian restaurants everywhere but in many places there are also good ones.  Its not elitism, it is crushing disappointment that yet another top tip that this one place that is different and honestly this time it really is good, is just as bland as the last one.  

I can give you a list as long as my arm of fantastic indian restaurants, but none of them are in berlin.

And mexican food?  Honestly mexican restaurants in Berlin are mostly cocktail bars with a sideline in nachos.  It hardly takes a 5 star mexican chef to decide that they arent up to snuff.  Thats not a judgement as such, they are fine to go to eat and drink but the focus just isnt on a high quality eating experience.

3 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

focus just isnt on a high quality eating experience.

That applies to pretty much most restaurants in Berlin.

Like you I can give you a list of very good restaurants but none of them in Berlin.

As for Mexican food who the hell told the Germans that everything has to have sweetcorn in it.

Yes, in ten years I've trying I've never found anything better than mediocre Indian food. There was a decent Sri Lankan place in Friedrichshain but that closed down recently. What I really don't understand is what they do to the chicken dishes, the chicken here always has this weird texture, kind of slimy, so nowadays I only ever go for lamb dishes.

15 hours ago, sidewalker said:

What I really don't understand is what they do to the chicken dishes, the chicken here always has this weird texture, kind of slimy, so nowadays I only ever go for lamb dishes.

It's called tumbled chicken, it's a process used to inflate the uncooked weight of the chicken by adding water and in some cases proteins extracted from other animals like pigs, cows and even cattle bones.

The proteins are sold on in powder form to be mixed with water which help to lock water into the chicken so that is doesn't seep out when cooked.

Under EU rule it is allowed as long as it's declared on the label and is commonly used in the restaurant trade, unfortunately for the end user the restaurant guest, we don't get to read the label.

Then there's the cooking process of the chicken at Indian restaurants, if it's not Tikka or Tandoori, it's par cooked in either water or a spice and water solution so this also adds to the slimey, rubbery texture.

So be warned, those of you for religious or other purposes that can't eat pork for example,  you're not always eating what it says on the menu.

17 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

It's called tumbled chicken, it's a process used to inflate the uncooked weight of the chicken by adding water and in some cases proteins extracted from other animals like pigs, cows and even cattle bones.

Sounds delicious! :o

19 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

The proteins are sold on in powder form to be mixed with water which help to lock water into the chicken so that is doesn't seep out when cooked.

Under EU rule it is allowed as long as it's declared on the label and is commonly used in the restaurant trade, unfortunately for the end user the restaurant guest, we don't get to read the label.

Then there's the cooking process of the chicken at Indian restaurants, if it's not Tikka or Tandoori, it's par cooked in either water or a spice and water solution so this also adds to the slimey, rubbery texture.

So be warned, those of you for religious or other purposes that can't eat pork for example,  you're not always eating what it says on the menu.

Nasty, have heard about this too. Is it only chicken they do this to?

That sounds foul !! (get it ? fowl ??? Ah never mind)

. It's this and many other stories I've heard (eg antibiotics given to animals)  that's made it easier for me to finally give up meat. 

43 minutes ago, Perfect Poise said:

Nasty, have heard about this too. Is it only chicken they do this to?

No, it can be all meat, although the main uses in chicken are to plump up it's weight, it can also be used to speed up the curing process by accelerating the take up of the brine or marinate throughout the meat.

I'm sure some of you must of made your own marinades, well the chances are the meat after 24 hours would of only taken about 1-2% of the marinade, by tumbling it can take up to 10% more therefore adding to texture and flavour.

However, despite the way chicken is pretty much abused, for the home enthusiast you can buy tumblers for home use for much more suitable purposes like marinating meat, this is something I may even consider myself having bought a BBQ smoker last year.

One of those quests doomed from the start, but hope springs eternal...has anyone eaten at Gagans on Uhlandstrasse? I expect it's more of the same bland stuff that blights Indian food in Germany...

http://www.gagans.de

Off to Sheffield for a few days next weekend, I'll be getting my annual fix of "proper";) (Anglo) Indian cuisine...

8 hours ago, john_b said:

One of those quests doomed from the start, but hope springs eternal...has anyone eaten at Gagans on Uhlandstrasse? I expect it's more of the same bland stuff that blights Indian food in Germany...

http://www.gagans.de

Nope but then again it hasn't been opened that long.

A quick look over the menu raises a few questions though, Dal Tadka with red kidney beans, Chicken Jalfrezi (mittel scharf), with Cauliflower, Lamb Sabzi, Sabzi is a Persian dish so that confused me and finally, I had to laugh, Vindaloo with gebackenen kartoffeln in kokos curry sauce.

Good luck let us know how it goes and don't forget to ask for your Jalfrezi scharf.?