"Really good" Indian restaurants in Berlin

90 posts in this topic

I just went to Agni for dinner tonight--it certainly didn't blow me away, but it was tasty and reasonably priced (and in my neighborhood) so I'm sure I'll go back. The best part was the nice flavor in the meat and naan from the clay oven. I ordered something that was listed as scharf but didn't specifically reiterate that I actually wanted it to be spicy when ordering (my mistake)--what I got had some nice flavors but was not spicy by any stretch of the imagination. Next time I'll specify.

Hi guys,

I'm in Berlin since barely half a year. In Barcelona I used to go to a really good indian place but here - even though there are PLENTY of indians - I can't seem to find the same "satisfaction" here in Berlin. In that place everything was so authentic, you could ask for spicy food and the food was really spicy, etc.

[...]

But what do you guys recommend otherwise?

My dear Catalan friend, I believe that the key element to provide "satisfaction" to anyone's taste buds is to make sure that you have at least 6 pints of beer BEFORE you enter the curry house. Walk around any British town centre after 11 at night and you will understand what I mean :-)

I love this place. There are probably 20 Indian restaurants between my place and this restaurant but they are worth the extra drive for me. They make me medium spicy for me and Indian spicy for my hubby. They will make special items if you want something that is not on the menu.

http://www.spice-india.de

Thanks for the tip gM, sounds good - always thought they're just another blech Berliner Indian, but apparently not. Thanks again :)

Today I had a very satisfying business lunch at Malashree, situated at the Kreuzberg end of Friedrichstrasse.

The popadoms were accompanied by a range of sauces - one of which (pureed chillis) was decidedly hot, most un-German!

Next came the soup, which evoked memories of one of my favourite restaurants back home in Glasgow - The Dhabba - and their range of Shorbas.

My main (scharf requested) was a lamb and lentil curry which happily lacked the usual local-friendly embellishments, just a simple combination of basic ingredients in a thick, spicy sauce.

I cheekily asked for a chapati and a freshly-made bread arrived with my meal (even if it looked like it was made with white naan flour!).

On the whole, I'd say the place is definitely worth a go.

That's me probably jinxed them now!

Imbiss W on Kastanienallee does a dish called "thali" which is kinda like an amazing vegetarian curry. The food there is awesome, but actually please don't go because it's getting fuller all the time! ;)

Maharadscha II is pretty good!

http://her.is/EXZJA

I also quite like Bombay

http://her.is/5dN6R

Though none of these are as good as what you get in London!

Joe

Maharadscha II is pretty good!

http://her.is/EXZJA

I also quite like Bombay

http://her.is/5dN6R

Joe

Are you sure Joe? :D

Hi,

Does anyone know a good Gastroenterologist in (or near) Berlin?

Many thanks!

Joe

I lived in London for almost 20 years and loved the Indian restaurants there. I was here for 5 years and could not find any good Indian restaurants here. I eventually found Budda Republic on Knesebeckstrase, near Savignyplatz, it is a fantastic restaurant, a bit more expensive than some, the Tandoori mix is fantastic and costs roughly €30 for 2 people.

The "Nirwana" in Steglitz offers decent tandooris and currys. I've noticed many South Asian guests there, might be a good 'sign' :P

http://www.nirwana-restaurant.de/kontakt.html

Any updates to this perennial query, particularly in Neukölln / Kreuzberg? I tried the Shaan on Richardplatz (Rixdorf) the other day, and despite asking for the Chicken Jalfrezi to be well spiced it was as bland as expected. <_<

9 hours ago, john_b said:

Any updates to this perennial query, particularly in Neukölln / Kreuzberg? I tried the Shaan on Richardplatz (Rixdorf) the other day, and despite asking for the Chicken Jalfrezi to be well spiced it was as bland as expected. <_<

To be honest John, dont hold your breath, just cook something good at home. At least a) Itll be cooked to how YOU want it, and not to match a bland German pallett and b)  Itll save ya a bob or two! :D

I know from bitter experience! But despite everything one keeps hoping... :P

On 2/12/2013, 5:39:06, Guest said:

But then there're some great Korean and Chinese eateries / restaurants in Berlin wo scharf wirklich scharf ist. Silla on Bundesallee and Tian Fu on Uhlandstrasse spring to mind...

I feel it was me who wrote this post as I think I've eaten at both places, but the translation to the current UI seems to have failed to give me credit.  Tian Fu is the best Chinese food I've eaten in Germany, really. 

5 hours ago, john_b said:

I know from bitter experience! But despite everything one keeps hoping... :P

Believe me, Ive been here many years and after more than a couple of dozen have given up.

Sadhu on Falckensteinstr. and Weserstr. (2 different locations) is pretty good.  It was recommended to me by an Indian friend...

Haveli near Viktoria Luise Platz is pretty good -- the prices are slightly higher than lots of the other Indian places but in my opinion so is the quality.  There are some nice complex flavors in the food (which can be hard to find) and you can tell that they used real spices and actually put in some effort.  And when I ask for them to make it spicy it is actually spicy!  The owners are also very friendly.

Just saw a positive review of Haveli on Yelp by an Indian-American guy...maybe I'll give it a go. Hope springs eternal :-)

On 12/8/2015, 1:09:26, john_b said:

I don't know about in Berlin, but for the couple of good Indian places around here, if you ask for it spicy like you get in England, it is usually very well spiced.

We went to Buddha Republic a couple years ago with a friend from Berlin who knew the place and it was really good then, it was about the time of bened1 went there, I don't know it is still the case now.