English Primary Schools in Hamburg

29 posts in this topic

On 28.11.2019, 13:32:16, AdHa said:

Re-animation warning...

Just in case anyone is interested in the future, there is this private school close(ish) to Hamburg, in Schleswig-Holstein. https://www.leibniz-privatschule.de/en/unser-konzept/grundschule/unterricht-auf-englisch-funktioniert/

I don't have personal experience - just fyi.

Leibnitz is now in Kaltenkirchen as well as Elmshorn.

In Kaltenkirchen, they built the school next to the AKN station (Metro line to Hamburg)

Same here : I don't have personal experience - just fyi.

My husband, 14 year old daughter, and I are looking to move this fall to the Hamburg area (from the USA) and I was looking at ISC (International School Campus) for my daughter who doesn't speak German. She will be entering 9th grade. I am looking for a school that can accommodate her.  Any suggestions for me? I just heard of a private school in Elmshorn, Liebniz Privatschule. (Here is the English link:  https://www.leibniz-privatschule.de/en/unsere-schule/ )  Any good? Any suggestions on where to live? We wanted to stay close to Hamburg because relatives live in Poppenbutel. We are open to any living areas and schools around the Hamburg area, so I am not against other private schools in Aurensburg or anywhere, etc. I like living in the countryside, so for me, this isn't a big deal, but I don't know how that would affect my daughter, socially. Any city/town suggestions? We will be managing our companies in the USA remotely and traveling to and fro, so we don't have to live in a specific town/city. We aren't rich, by any means, so we are probably considered middle class. I am most concerned about my daughter's education. I know that she will struggle with the language, so I am wondering if anybody has any 9th grade / German high school experiences or suggestions that they wish to share in and around the Hamburg area? Thank you!

Poppenbuttel is just about the opposite side of Hamburg to Pinneberg / Elmshorn (which themselves are in Schleswig-Holstein).

We live on the North-West outskirts of Pinneberg with a green field across the road.  However in some nearby areas (probably not ours) the green fields are being turned into industrial estates.

That said, I know that not long ago there was critiscm of the Liebniz Privatschule in Elmshorn - basically very poor Abitur results (seemingly because the kids just didn't learn much).

Concerning the International school in Pinneberg: read this thread.

Thanks, HEM. 

Any idea if Liebniz Privatschule actually teaches in English? They advertise that they do, but if most of the teachers are German and the students are German, could they really teach subjects in English very well? Their website is poorly written (in English) ironically.  I am just looking for a decent education for my daughter. She will likely go to an English speaking university in England or the USA after graduating, so I am just concerned that she learn her main subjects well in English. I am thinking that I will just have her take the ACT and SAT. And, additionally, perhaps we will have her study main subjects (Chemistry, Bio, and Math) with a tutor in the summer to keep up. 

Any suggestions on where to get a decent education in Germany for 9th grade-12th (in English)? 

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Ember said:

Any idea if Liebniz Privatschule actually teaches in English? They advertise that they do, but if most of the teachers are German and the students are German, could they really teach subjects in English very well?

I think one guy in my Verein used to go there - I can ask him.

Their website is poorly written (in English) ironically.

That is frequently the case.  People in companies etc. over-estimate their command of written English - even when there might be a native speaker on hand (had experience of that myself).

Any suggestions on where to get a decent education in Germany for 9th grade-12th (in English)? 

That could be difficult given that this is Germany where people speak German (& possibly turkish).

My children (now aged 30 & 27) went to German schools so I'm not in a position to advise on the current situation.

9 hours ago, Ember said:

We aren't rich, by any means, so we are probably considered middle class. I am most concerned about my daughter's education. I know that she will struggle with the language, so I am wondering if anybody has any 9th grade / German high school experiences or suggestions that they wish to share in and around the Hamburg area? Thank you!

If you are really that concerned about your daughter's education why don't you wait until she has finished high school before moving? Germany's school system is not to be recommended for teenagers who can't speak German.

7 hours ago, HEM said:

That could be difficult given that this is Germany where people speak German (& possibly turkish).

Don't forget Russian. The native Russian speakers still outnumber the native English speakers in most areas (mainly due to the Spätaussiedler).

I got an almost instantaneous answer from my Vereins colleague in response to my question whether he did attend that school & whether teaching was in English :

Damals in der Grund und Mittelstufe war ich dort. Bis zur vierten Klasse wurde alles auf englisch unterrichtet, danach aber gar nicht mehr!

Roughly translated: I was there in elementary and middle school. Up to fourth grade everything was taught in English, but not afterwards!

Also means: he did his Abitur elsewhere.

Hope this helps (I have no idea how US "grades" and German "Klassen" correspond).

I have heard similar about Leibnitz--that it is not truly in English, but that some classes are in English.

Depending on location, there are increasing numbers of "bilingual" gymnasiums (German high schools).  These typically offer some classes in English--often social studies, for example.  Also, most schools have decent supports for language learners.  Depending on the age and ability of the student in question, these could be an option.  For adventurous kids or kids who are already strong students, particularly at the middle school level, they can often get enough German to keep up in public schools.  For kids who struggle with academics or closer to the end of high school, this is a less ideal option unless lots of support is offered.

A bigger question is the type of diploma a child should have.  An Abitur can be hard to get for kids who come late to the party (for language reasons).  An IB education is a bit more accessible for non-German speakers.  Both are well received globally, though Abitur tends to be better for German universities and IB is more common in the UK or US.  The IB can be done in English, German, or bilingually, depending on the school.

IIRC there are three public schools in Hamburg that offer the IB (Helene Lange Gymnasium, Hansa Gymnasium Bergedorf, and one other that is escaping me right now).  I don't know how truly English language they are or what their admissions policies are for out of district students, but I'd imagine some German and living in the local area are required.

Private schools include International School of Hamburg, International School Campus (Pinneberg), Leibnitz (Elmshorn), and schools further away like Bremen/Hannover, or boarding options like Louisenlund or Torgelow.  All of those options (except perhaps Leibnitz) are pretty expensive.  Incidentally, the one in Pinneberg looks cheap, but they have hidden fees in that you are heavily pressured to join the Verein, which is expensive.  I don't know if Leibnitz has the same.  The IB price at Pinneberg matches the one at International School of Hamburg, which is bigger and likely has better options and resources.  Leibnitz might end up being the cheapest of the three, but of course it's the furthest out.

One school about which I know nothing is the Moderne Schule.  I do know the kids do Abitur, not IB.  Might be worth asking around on local expat groups or maybe someone can chime in here.