Bacon Bacon Bacon!

199 posts in this topic

All this talk of bacon is just rubbing salt in the wound! I tried for a long time in vain to find decent bacon here but to no avail. Has anyone had better luck?

I brought some English bacon back and gave it to our village chief as a thank you. When I saw him again, he said there was nothing special about it as it can be found here in Germany. They call it Roh Kasseler in our area (Vogelsberg) - geräuchert if you want it smoked. However, as Sin points out below, it may have other names elsewhere.

The key to puchasing real* bacon here is to know what it's called and then to merely march into your local top quality butcher and train them in how to cut it. Eight years later I now only have to ask for 'bacon' and they will answer, "Wie dick?" It's called Geräuchert wammerl here in Munich, ....

I saw an episode of NCIS recently and one of the guys was having bacon and banana pancakes with extra bacon, sounds yummy!

Indeed, the bacon from metro is also very thin. I truly miss the rashers from back home :( The streaky bacon although easier to come by and delicious, still does not cut it like the large rashers of English bacon.

We did manage to get some grill bacon yesterday from Rewe. It was like streaky bacon but cut thicker for the BBQ. It came off all crispy and very tasty almost like gammon. I can really recommend it.

Anna66 what do you mean like gammon.I get mine done fresh from my butcher friend where i get the bacon fron and oh its not the sreaky stuff

Anna66 what do you mean like gammon.I get mine done fresh from my butcher friend where i get the bacon fron and oh its not the sreaky stuff

​Just mean that it is thicker. It is almost as thick as a gammon steak, I guess that is why it is labelled BBQ/Grill bacon as it is probably most likely cut thicker so it can be cooked on the grill without burning. Here is a picture of what I mean ;)

6367_11488549_1337616111_Grill-Bacon_neu

no Anna its basically thick cut bacon .Gammon would ony have a rind of fat on it simuliar to a steak

Forums eh? Easily misunderstood, when I said "like", I meant it has a similar consistency to gammon. I know it is not gammon, and that it is thickly cut bacon.

Gammon is very hard to come by in Germany, I do find kasseler to be similar to gammon although not the same. I miss gammon dearly. I always used to eat it with a fried egg on top. Still do that here with kasseler though, and if the fried egg is soft is goes well with a hashed brown (I use Rösti) Nothing better than gammon, with a fried egg and hashed browns. Delicious.

I do find kasseler is alot drier than gammon though. 

not really true i can get it every month LOL have a 2 kg order being prepared by my special buthcher as we speak

not really true i can get it every month LOL have a 2 kg order being prepared by my special buthcher as we speak

That's pretty cool if you have a special butcher who does that for you :) Do you know what the Germans call it (Gammon)? I may see if I can get a butcher nearby to get it for me as well if that's possible.

Anna more than likely not.Alo of butchers buy stuff in my butcher breeds their own pigs and slaughter them too.They cure and smoke their own stuff too but my bacon is unsmoked.

So what exactly do you order in German to get unsmoked back bacon Mik.I have a good butcher nearby and just need to know what to ask for.

Anna more than likely not.Alo of butchers buy stuff in my butcher breeds their own pigs anslaughter them too.They cure and smoke their own stuff too but my