Bacon Bacon Bacon!

199 posts in this topic

Hi Sara,

a Laura Ingalls Cookbook? Wow and I thought I had all that was in print.

I saw they have it available in Amazon - is it worth getting in your opinion? Just curious...

Fact: Bacon was invented empirically by The 1st Viscount St. Alban on 14th July 1591 when he thought he'd like something else with his eggs, black pudding, sausages, mushrooms and baked beans, and deliberated on the bonus of it being something to drive both Muslims and Jews mad with frustrated desire.

Bacon comes from pigs; Danish pigs, British pigs, American pigs and, you guessed it, German pigs, Etc. The key to puchasing real* bacon here is to know what it's called and then to merely march into your local top quality butcher and train them in how to cut it. Eight years later I now only have to ask for 'bacon' and they will answer, "Wie dick?" It's called Geräuchert wammerl here in Munich, and I recommend Boneberger as the Metzgerei.

*I say real because it has only been cut off the animal and cured, smoked in my preference, and isn't that horrible pink reprocessed stuff they sell in UK supermarkets made of 99.9% water and 0.1% horse bacon, plus it is mindboggling cheaper.

Sin first that is smoked stuff and not really proper bacon.Mine is cured i.e. salt water and if you would have the dignity to read the comments on my thread the bacon has even been commented on has no shrinkage and no salt injections.As the gammon has none either.That is whay the turn round cycle on it id 4 weeks.As to horses neigh i say neigh never tried it mate

Hi Sara,

a Laura Ingalls Cookbook? Wow and I thought I had all that was in print.

I saw they have it available in Amazon - is it worth getting in your opinion? Just curious...

Most definitely. It is well researched and gives you background information on cooking, baking and preserving methods in the 1860s through 1890s. Plus it has some Garth Williams illustrations and quotes from the books relating to the dishes in the recipes. My Ma gave it to me almost 25 years ago, and sometimes I use it for bedtime reading. The egg-nog recipe is boozeless but that's the books only fault.

Putting this post back on topic: Even fine pastry was made with pork lard trimmed off the haunch of smoked pork. The pioneer women would boil the fat in water to remove some of the smoky taste. Cookies were baked with real maple sugar, an almost unaffordable treat nowadays.

The egg-nog recipe is boozeless but that's the books only fault.

that's because that darn goat kept getting into the Mr. Edwards' special turpentine, so they had no spirits around... :)

Most definitely. It is well researched and gives you background information on cooking, baking and preserving methods in the 1860s through 1890s. Plus it has some Garth Williams illustrations and quotes from the books relating to the dishes in the recipes. My Ma gave it to me almost 25 years ago, and sometimes I use it for bedtime reading.

Hi Sara, thanks for this - just might consider it when the next Amazon order comes up...

The bacon à la turkey Christmas special:

post-356-13206660022473.jpgThis is what I did last Christmas, but it would also work for Thanksgiving, if there is only a small crowd.Take 3-4 packs of that thin German streaky bacon and weave them into a sheet.Place one deboned turkey breast (available even at Lidl) on the sheet, cover the top with whatever stuffing you like (think had sage & onion, but have previously filled with redcurrant and hazelnut sausagemeat) then top with another deboned turkey breast.Roll the sheet around and tie with string to secure.Really easy to carve, very low on hassle, fits in the oven and above all shedloads of bacon.Here's the recipe it was based on.

I can also highly recommend these maple bacon pancake cupcakes - brilliantly portable for potluck brunches (but add extra crumbled bacon, because, well... bacon).

Some very creative people out there....

Never will look at roses and bacon the same again...

Coming from Scotland I think the best thing is a crispy roll with bacon and brown sauce. Thankfully you can buy brown sauce here in Globus or Real. Proper British style bacon is another matter though. My sister also loves Bacon and here is her blog.

http://www.appetiteofdestructionbook.blogspot.de

Oh bollocks:

Bacon causes cancer, folks

But:

Leave bacon out of it, health experts warned

"We've taken a lot of shit from these people over the years. Perhaps the time has come to throw our health experts in jail."

And:

"The occasional bacon butty isn't going to do you much harm. People shouldn't avoid bacon or salami because they think it's going to kill them, because it won't."

Confused?

Have a nice bacon sarnie. It'll do you good.