Bacon Bacon Bacon!

347 posts in this topic

On 11/15/2021, 9:39:24, murphaph said:

You'll have to get used to a full Irish now JG ;)

My shipment of Irish bacon arrived yesterday in perfect condition.  The four packages were surrounded by sheets of reusable frozen cubes, which was then wrapped in a mylar bubble wrap, and then secured in a plastic bag before being boxed for shipment.  The ice was still frozen when I opened the box.  Three of the 450g packs went into the freezer and the fourth went into the refrigerator for the next day's breakfast.

This morning, I had a partial fry up...no beans.  Being raised in the south, I prefer grits, but I didn't have any of those either.  I opted for the healthy-heart breakfast which consisted of two pieces of bacon, three eggs, hash brown potatoes (rosti), mushrooms, and tomato halves.  To my surprise, the eggs were double yolks, and I think I felt an artery seize up.

The Irish bacon is delicious and for me is well worth the cost.  I exhausted my supply of American bacon, and detest the poor substitute at Rewe, so I will be buying the Irish Stafford bacon from now on.

I put the ice cube racks in the freezer and will use these with my cooler on my continuing search for pralines and cream, butter pecan, or Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream.

1 minute ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

There's a thread about bacon with 13 pages??? Y'all need to sort your priorities... :blink:

I just did!

To be more accurate, there's a nearly nine-year old thread of 13 pages about bacon.

6 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

There's a thread about bacon with 13 pages??? Y'all need to sort your priorities... :blink:

You, Sir, are an outlier. ;)

24 minutes ago, JG52 said:

Being raised in the south, I prefer grits

Do you know where to buy any? I'm almost out. Beginning to lose sleep.

14 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I have some unopened packages of Quaker Quick Grits. Do you want one?

25 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Isn't that bulgur wheat?

Available from any Turkish shop or wholefood place.

But I'm not an expert, but like my bulgur/bulgar wheat. 

38 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

You could always try a Hambush.

But be careful, it could be a trap...

It's just cornmeal, isn't it, available all over since it is also the main ingredient of polenta. Fine ground, or coarse ground. Yellow and white-ish.

Individual variation is in the recipe, which is the great thing about pap (same thing but in SA).

If the question is more about where to get an instant version, then I'm pretty sure Kaufland do instant polenta, although that might be a lot more yellow than you are hoping for. Presumably eventually Alex will run out as well....;)

49 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

It's pronounced VEGETARIAN.

Then why are you reading a "Bacon Bacon Bacon!" thread?  You should be reading the "Broccoli Broccoli Broccoli" thread. :D

21 minutes ago, kiplette said:

It's just cornmeal, isn't it, available all over since it is also the main ingredient of polenta. Fine ground, or coarse ground. Yellow and white-ish.

Individual variation is in the recipe, which is the great thing about pap (same thing but in SA).

If the question is more about where to get an instant version, then I'm pretty sure Kaufland do instant polenta, although that might be a lot more yellow than you are hoping for. Presumably eventually Alex will run out as well...;)

Grits isn't corn meal or polenta. Really, if you don't know just forget it.

Maybe we need a "Grits Grits Grits!" thread. :huh:

I prefer hominy grits, which is significantly different than polenta or yellow corn meal mush.  No self respecting southerner would be caught making instant grits.  If my mother was alive today, she'd be spinning in her grave if she saw me making instant grits.

For the uninitiated, when people from the US South say grits, we mean hominy grits. These have been treated with an alkali, changing their texture. Although they are of the same material and the same food family as polenta, polenta, even when coarse ground, is too fine to be grits. Typical hominy grits in the southern US are white. I prefer mine made with water and served with butter, salt, pepper, and poached eggs. I do NOT like cheese grits, but I won't freak out if you crumble some bacon in my grits.

If all of this offends you, then...

Kiss My Grits GIFs | Tenor

My mouth is watering now.  Another delicacy is day old grits fried in bacon grease.  😋  We Southerners take our grits seriously.