Life in the Trudering area of Munich

58 posts in this topic

We are currently looking at apartments and have found two prospective places in the east of Munich (Trudering) which we'll be viewing on Friday. One is near S-Trudering and the other is near S-Gronsdorf. Initially my impression was that Trudering was too far out of the centre, but it's only 3 S-Bahn stops from Ostbahnhof and there's U-Bahn (and a tram) as well.

Any thoughts, impressions, anecdotes and/or warnings welcome ...

trudering.gif

Those 3 stops are far apart :D and the local changes alot in those 3 stops. Trudering Sbahn area is a decent size village/city lots of stores

etc. But it can also get kinda busy traffic wise as the main East-West road in the area runs throught it.

Gronsdorf is the next S-Bahn stop from Truderring and is mostly the same, unless the place your looking at is on the north side of the train tracks, then there are lots of fields.. Once you start getting past Gronsdorf, then your starting to go out into the sticks.. Well OK not that bad, but you get the idea.

JayHay, your initial impression was absolutely correct.

Don't do it. You seem to be a really nice person, I'd really hate to see you suffer.

It's really far away from the city center. Three stops feels like an eternity. Don't do it...the zombies have already got ahold of me... :ph34r:

Yeah, but.

The S-Bahn only takes 12 minutes to Marienplatz and it runs every 5 minutes during the day.

I currently live at U-Nordfriedhof, which feels fairly central, but the U-Bahn to Marienplatz takes just as long.

I was hoping someone would have something positive to add. Are the zombies at least friendly?

@knusper muesli - is there anything you like about the place?

Some friends of mine used to live there, and had a really nice flat (with heated bathroom floor!) but it was basically 1 huge residential area. If that's no problem for you, it should be fine.

I have a few friends there and they all live in really nice flats in nice residential streets where they can always get parked. A few turns off of the main road and it will be really quiet. I have heard there aren't too many good restaurants nearby but you can easily go into Munich as the S bahn trip is quite short. If you are a city kid then I wouldn't suggest it though.

This is a very tough one for anyone to answere properly..

I live out in the Boonies and once I got used to the locals being rude and Ignorant it became a nice place to live..

it takes me 40 mins (approx) from my door to GMs and costs me only 50€ per month. However, as I find it difficult to go home before the Barstaff the return journey costs 35€ each time...

Important things to look out for in your new place...

South Facing wall, Balcony or a roof, with a clear veiw, where a dish can be fitted.

1st or second floor, unless there is a Lift.

Avoid Older neighbours

Close proximity to a Pub.. any pub, it will be useful!

Good luck and welcome to Draagonsdale!

G

Trudering used to lie right in the landing/take-off path of the old Munich airport until it moved 14 years ago. It was a noisy area, badly developed and cheap. Since the airport moved (and the area became ghostly quiet in comparison) there is now massive development of both business and residential property, combined with the evolution of Messe München, the new tradeshow grounds built on the site of the old airport and runways. This means that to some extend Trudering has blossomed with many young families moving into the many apartment blocks that have been built (as greenfield developments), and with a constant turnover of people passing through, along with businesses supporting the exhhibition grounds. The downside is that much of the support infrastructure has not changed - social facilities, stores, schools, etc., are poorly lacking. In the older parts of the locallity there is a lot of rebuilding going on. People have discovered they could buy run-down property in nice locations, demolish it and build the house of their dreams in an area not too far from the city.

To be able to really say if Trudering (or Gronsdorf) suits you then we need to know a little more about you. If you are young, free and single, then probably not. If you are here with a partner, and no kids, then I'd say it might be worth considering, it's not too far from the city, it's not too densely populated, and you are close to road networks to get you out to the country. If you have young children, then maybe the facilities are not adequate for your needs, although it is comparatively convenient to the European school if they are to go there (but less so for BIS or MIS in Haimhausen and Starnberg respectively). Families from a number of larger corporations (HP, Intel, Microsoft) do live in the locallity so you may find like minded friends...

YL6

if you find somewhere a short stroll from the u/s bahn, i don't think it would be a real problem as long as you don't need to have a pub/friends on the doorstep! heck, we live in erding, now that's a long way out. but then we're married and we both want/need a garden and plenty of space.

friends lived in waldtrudering which meant a walk, then a bus, then the u/s bahn which was a bit much, but i think if you can live with a 15 minute train ride into town and back, then it would be fine. if you have a car then it's no real problem at all, and probably preferable in terms of finding a parking space. you're also more likely to get a garage space.

as above, it depends on your needs.

Yeah, but.

The S-Bahn only takes 12 minutes to Marienplatz and it runs every 5 minutes during the day.

Are you sure? I thought they run every 10 minutes only in peak times?

From what I have seen of that area though, it does look quite nice if you don't mind residential. It certainly isn't as central as Nordfriedhof but surely it will be cheaper out there..

Gronsdorf is a small village. I have two students there and have the impression it is very Bavarian and conservative. As for me, I'd avoid it! But Trudering is a big place, as said before on this thread. There is also lots of new property where there are plenty of young people and foreigners. There are adequate supermarkets, pet stores, doctors, dentists, Dehner's etc. but you'd definitely have to go into town for larger items to get good prices and choice. The Wasserburger Landstraße is the big main road east and is always jammed in the rush hour. Trudering also has lots of old houses and I have heard it described as 'poor Grünwald', i.e. where Bavarians live who can't afford Grünwald, but have lots of money by my standards! I'd say if you look carefully at the map for the U-Bahn and S-Bahn, and the motorway exit, you could live in Trudering. I myself would stick to the new housing area. Feel free to pm me if you want more info. I live close to Trudering and know it pretty well.

was too far out of the centre

how do you define 'too far'. I would say anything on the U-Bahn is still relatively 'central' or easily accessible at least

I would say anything on the U-Bahn is still relatively 'central' or easily accessible at least

The nice thing about the first apartment we'll be looking at is that it's not far from S-Trudering, which is also an U-Bahnhof, so the connection is that much better. We've been scanning the apartments to rent for about 6 weeks now and I've seen quite a few places in Trudering which sound really appealing. A part of me would like to live slap bang in the middle of things (Maxvorstadt, per ejemplo), but the idea of having a huge balcony, 4 rooms and a garage for quite considerable less Euros has caught my interest.

I've lived in very urban surroundings for the last 9 years, so a change might be in order.

Pretty much agree with what was said above - it depends on your needs. Also I think I was making an internal comparison based on moving from the city center to Trudering - if you were already living near Nordfriedhof you were more or less dependant on U-bahn etc. If your friends don't like to travel, your social life will suffer. Other than that, there's nothing WRONG with Trudering - you have everything you need there and are basically in between two big malls - Riem & PEP.

I've got (middle aged, bit middle class, bit conservative) friends who live out there and brought up their kids.

It's that kind of area. The old village centre is nice, but some of the housing a bit soulless.

Trudering station has the advantage of being on both the S-Bahn and U2 and bus connections all over Munich.

Gronsdorf station which is what a lot of Truderingers also use only has the S-Bahn.

Note, the area SOUTH of gronsdorf station is in Munich city.

The station itself and gronsdorf village are in Munich rural county so all your public services would be different. You'd keep a Munich telephone number though.

it takes me 40 mins (approx) from my door to GMs and costs me only 50€ per month. However, as I find it difficult to go home before the Barstaff the return journey costs 35€ each time...
Word up home slice. Thats like my situation (unless the U6 decide otherwise, in whcih case...oops, different thread)

If you wanna go out every single night like that 3Lions reprobate, you won't like it. If you are like me, and cannot stand the claustrophic squeeze of the city, and like a bit of woodland to go and chill out in, then move outside the city. Dunno about the woodland in Trudering, always looks a bit too busy for my liking out there, but its all about your balance really.

I've got (middle aged, bit middle class, bit conservative)

:blink:

Gonna quote you on that one day sunshine.

speaking of living in the arse-end dr, where is half way between Garching and erding and mutually reachable by local bus without too much arseache? i feel the need for a cheeky mid-weeky, mid afternooner sometime soon.

I lived in Waldtrudering and it was really nice, quiet etc but i had to walk to the bus stop, then get the u-bahn, which was a bit much really. I'd have preferred to have lived more centrally, but i didn't really know the areas before i moved down (from Giessen)

I was too far from my friends, if your friends are nearby, your're sorted! there aren't many restaurants/pubs but if you've got a car and like going out of the city a lot and into the alps, its superb! I did enjoy being there but the mistake I made was living too far from friends.

if you've got any q's get in touch and i'll answer asap.