Pancake problems and other challenges

63 posts in this topic

Will try the 550 flour and Arm and Hammer baking soda idea and report back. Great community spirit here on the pancake thread! I'm not a cook nor baker but I am entrusted with generating delicious pancakes and have so far failed miserably.

I haven't seen a recipe like mine yet (can't remember the original source, but there are some trial/error modifications so I will call it mine) but it'll get you 1.5cm thick and fluffy pancakes and it works every time. I've included adjustments for normal milk, but they won't be as thick as if you use buttermilk.

PANCAKES

Dry Ingredients:

335g flour (type 405 white flour)

85g sugar

2.5 teaspoons baking powder (adjust to 3.3 for normal milk) - yes the German backpulver is fine

0.85 teaspoon baking soda (adjust to 1.6 for normal milk) - sometimes sold as Natron

pinch salt

Liquid Ingredients:

500ml buttermilk (or milk)

100ml oil or melted butter

1 large egg

1 teaspoon vanilla

In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. In a measuring cup, whisk together liquid ingredients.

Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients and lightly whisk to combine.

Preheat frying pan. When the frying pan is hot enough, a drop of water will "dance" and sizzle away. Ladle some mixture onto the pan and let it settle. Flip as soon as bubbles start to form, do not wait for them to pop. This way you get a second rise on the other side so they are thicker.

OK, then try Aldi, Norma, & Penny. They sometimes have American Pancake mix if plastic bottles, just add milk/water.

Sorry sweetheart, that's not the same as bisquiq. Since you can find it everywhere I will be expecting a delivery soon. You can do it personally or use dhl, es ist mir egal.

Don´t use any sort of baking powder.Just separate your eggs and add the yolks straight to the batter,whip the whites up until they´re stiff and fold in to the batter slowly.Fluffy pancakes everytime without adding a raising agent!!

A great recipe is:

1 cup milk 3,5 %Fat

1 cup eggs

1 cup flour (405)

1 TS Kaiser Natron

stir it , bake it , love it ;)

Don´t use any sort of baking powder.Just separate your eggs and add the yolks straight to the batter,whip the whites up until they´re stiff and fold in to the batter slowly.Fluffy pancakes everytime without adding a raising agent!!

Whenever you whisk the whites and add them to the batter separately, you get a "wetter" texture to the crumb, characteristic of chiffon cake. While also delicious, it's not exactly the same as the American diner-style buttermilk pancake recipe I posted (though I find homemade is better as I've been served buttermilk pancakes that were dry, no idea how they managed it). This picture is from that recipe :)

Also great toasted the next day.

post-50642-13582648668453.jpg

The GerMan loves Pfannkuchen, so from time to time for a Saturday meal we'll do savory with salad and a sweet one to finish. He's the expert on making the batter. But this thread is getting me all nostalgic for real pancakes, I think I'm going to have to sabotage his next Pfannkuchen batter. ;)

"Real Pancakes" !!?? Pancakes are thousands of years old and are made differently all over the world.You can bet that the American style pancake is not the original!! Although I do like a fluffy pancake with syrup the thin rolled up with lemon juice and sugar Shrove Tuesday British Pancake is still my favourite..

pancake history[

"Real Pancakes" !!?? Pancakes are thousands of years old and are made differently all over the world.You can bet that the American style pancake is not the original!! Although I do like a fluffy pancake with syrup the thin rolled up with lemon juice and sugar Shrove Tuesday British Pancake is still my favourite..

pancake history[

Tststs, you forgot to press cap lock. :P

Since flour in Europe are all different because wheat are different everywhere. Since a lot of flour here is imported I usually have my own mesurement if I buy it from a new brand or from another country(yes I probaly have too much time to waste :)).

I'd make chinese dumpling wraps out of it (flour:water = 2:1). If the wraps are very elastic but break easily when I seal the dumplings with my fingers, it's mostly good for fluffy texture cake, I would mark "405" on it even if it's originally marked as "550". Otherwise I'd use it as all purpose flour -- 550 is among all the closest to all purpose flour in my experience.

I have a dozen mates over on Sunday and want to make American pancakes for them. 

Can I start making them an hour beforehand and keep them warm in the oven? What temperature?

Also, do you think 8 cups of flour mixed with the appropriate amount of milk and other ingredients will be enough for that many people?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers!

2 hours ago, Cammiede said:

I have a dozen mates over on Sunday and want to make American pancakes for them. 

Can I start making them an hour beforehand and keep them warm in the oven? What temperature?

Also, do you think 8 cups of flour mixed with the appropriate amount of milk and other ingredients will be enough for that many people?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers!

Much easier to go to Lidl and see if they have from their American week any pancakes still there. They had some here by me lately, packets of 6 for €1,50, also American  pancake spread and honey only need to warm them up butter them.and sprinkle honey

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

Honey!!!???

Maple syrup, Dude.

Indeed. That I got at aldi. :)

The other questions remain. I’m thinking 100 degrees on the oven and buying double the amount I mentioned, for alle fälle. 

I can't help you with pancakes, but if you need a plan B, I would go for Weißwurst and Brezen with sweet mustard. Not to forget the Weißbier. My mates from Holland love it.