Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Should I let friend do Anmeldung with my address?

12 posts in this topic

Hey guy, appreciate your urgent advice!

I live with my boyfriend and we are both signed on a contract. my boyfriend fears that if we let a friend use our address for the Anmeldung until he finds his own place is going to cause us problems. Is there anything wrong with it, can he go there and say that he simply needs to stay here a bit till he finds a place? is it legit?

Thank you all in advance!

Linor

Are they actually going to be staying with you, or only using your address?

If staying with you, how long do you anticipate this taking? A guest can stay... I'm not sure, I think approx. 6 weeks or so, and then it becomes a bit iffy, especially if your landlord chooses to be difficult - he could claim that you are illegally subletting (you need to have his permission to sublet).

If they're only using your address, where is this person staying? And why don't they just register at the address they're staying at? This is possible even with a hostel or guest house, btw.

It could make problems when the landlord gets the trash, water, etc. from the city. That's how they calculate the base price. Your landlord can even pass the extra costs on to you, in addition to filing a report to the police.

It could make problems when the landlord gets the trash, water, etc. from the cityv

Don't know about where you live, but every city I've lived in computes this based on square meters of the apartment and/or

actual usage via reading meters. Trash is usually figured out by home many cans your building has.

Don't know about where you live, but every city I've lived in computes this based on square meters of the apartment and/or

actual usage via reading meters. Trash is usually figured out by home many cans your building has.

Where I live, they take into account how many people are living in the house/apartment

The potential problems associated with sublets and their impact on your utilities bills aside, there is no reason why he would have to use your address for his registration "until he finds his own place" unless he is actually staying with you (or living under a bridge). There is nothing wrong with him using a hotel, hostel, B&B, or other temporary accommodation as his registered address until he finds another place.

He is theoretically supposed to re-register every time he changes addresses in this case, but I seriously doubt there would be any consequences if he just waited until he got a permanent address in a few weeks.

If it's a matter of having his mail sent to you, simply have it addressed as follows:

<his name>

bei <your name - which must be on the mailbox and doorbell>

<your street and house number>

<your postal code and city>

Otherwise, adding his name to the mailbox could definitely raise some warning flags.

Hello! I did this before I found my own place in Germany, registering with my then-boyfriend's WG. But I was living there.

Later on I returned the favor for a friend and allowed him to register in Germany with my address, bunk for 2 months before he found his own place and he subsequently re-registered himself at his new addresss.

No problems for both situations.

If it is just a matter of receiving mail, you can put your friend's name on the postbox without having to register him at the Burgerbüro.

What the others mentioned are reasonable: if one more person is registered at your address, the utilities costs and shared building costs may have to be adjusted.

Otherwise I don't see any problems with using a friend's address to register yourself before find a permanent place. It is not uncommon.

I think it comes down to how much of a friend he/she is, and how much you trust them. If it is a close friend, and you know the plan is genuinely looking for a place and the arrangement is temporary and short term, I expect all will be ok.

If the stay may be extender, I think you should protect yourself and get the friend to sign a sub-letting contract with you - some landlords may not approve, but if you are not sure, that gives you some protection.

Finally, if you don't really know the person and motivations, I would not be too keen to do it, as others indicate above the friend in that case has other options.

Colin

I just registered myself under the address of a friend and have no problem (well, I move here later but it's not the point). Actually there are more people registered than it should be in the contract, but we explain to the landlord that we need some place to put the name in and it's fine. I think being not registered in 7 days after arriving Germany is bigger problem esp for those who need visa.

Hi Linor (were you at IVAI in 2009? I think we've met)

The legit thing for your friend to do would be to register wherever he/she is now, and then re-register when he has found something else. I've also heard from a Berlin Bürgeramt case worker that Berlin is not SO strict with time deadlines, so if it takes your friend a few weeks to find

something, it's unlikely he'll be penalized or fined.

If he is staying somewhere else and they won't let him register there, it might be worth questioning why - I sublet(ted?) an apt once and the tenant didn't want me to register there because she was receiving unemployment benefits and didn't want anyone finding out she was collecting rent. Other reasons might be that whoever lives in the place your friend is staying might not have permission to sublet. Or maybe your friend just doesn't want to go to the Bürgeramt twice!

It occurred to me though that your friend could even manage it without your permission. They don't often ask to see a contract if you say you're staying at a friend's place, they just ask who lives there (first and last names), and if the name you give is already in their system, well that makes everyone's job easier.

It's legally questionable though, if your friend is not staying with you, so give permission at your own risk. One of those things where bad stuff could happen but is very unlikely to if your friend is a good sort and really does re-register soon afterwards.