Smoking areas in airports and other public buildings

147 posts in this topic

Save starting a new thread and wanted to rant about it somewhere, plus it is a woe...

I was recently making a 2hr stopover in Heathrow. Unlike almost every other airport I have been in (outside the UK certainly) there is nowhere to have a cigarette. I'm not bothered on anyone's opinion on smoking in public, but as I say, almost everywhere else has a ventilated room which doesn't offend non smokers.

I asked someone at the bar if there was a smoking room, he says no, I would have to ask someone from security to take me out, then I'd have to go through passport control and security again. WTF?

It's ok doing this at a small airport, but T5 at Heathrow is massive. The whole process would have taken ages.

How on earth is this acceptable and what do people do? I don't even smoke much but prior to a 7hr flight I find it outrageous there isn't an easy option.

Those smoking boxes they have at Munich stink if you stand anywhere near them, they don't get rid of everything via the ventilation. I just checked the Heathrow website and was surprised to read this bit about electronic cigarettes, "Electronic cigarettes are subject to exactly the same restrictions as standard cigarettes and therefore they cannot be used inside any of the terminal buildings." especially as I saw some people doing just that when I went through terminal 5 last year.

I see people doing that on the plane never mind the building!

I've never noticed anything bad smelling anywhere else unless standing right at the door. In any case, there is usually plenty of space so you don't have to stand near them and, while I can't picture Munich's arrangement, there is nowhere anyone would need to go nearby any others I can think of so easily avoided. Again though, I'm not asking about a smoking v no smoking argument, it's a right to have a cigarette if I want (and in a place that doesn't affect others) but T5 make it virtually impossible. It was 14hrs from leaving first airport to arriving in final destination and there will be lots worse. This must drive some people round the bend.

My point is, why is there no acceptable to all solution for this? Surely even people so strongly opposed to smoking in public places aren't so bitter they would have a problem with a dedicated area?

Yes, it is a shame. T5 was built at the height of an anti-smoking campaign and obviously the managers are anti-smokers themselves.

I used to smoke and noticed this when I visited the terminal. I think Heathrow have removed all smoking areas from their other terminals as well. Even though I don't smoke anymore, I certainly think solutions like at Frankfurt Airport should be put in place, or even an outdoor area should have been designed inside the terminal for transit passengers.

As a non-smoker now, I do smell cigarette smoke a lot more than I used to, but I smell nothing when I go past the Frankfurt booths, and even when I do, it's only a small place compared to the whole airport.

But it is unlikely to change in Heathrow, as the anti-smoking campaigners have the upper foot now. Most people who don't smoke are generally very accommodating, but like anything, there are extremists, and these are the really loud anti-smokers that want it 100% their way, anything less or the slightest compromise brings out vermin and hatred. I'll probably be blasted for even suggesting such things as they don't take too kindly to being questioned.

Anyway, the world is moving against smoking by these people at the moment, so it is even likely in 10 or more years from now similar restrictions will be found in DE airports. Just be thankful though you were in the UK. Some places like NZ are becoming so anti-smoking they even ban smoking in many outside places as well and are working to a full ban.

All that said, these things tend to go in waves and it will probably start loosening up again in a decade in the UK, especially when a cure for the various cancers turn up with just a pill or two to pop. Then we can smoke again to our hearts content.

I'm going through T5 tomorrow and fully intend using my e-cig, even if I have to hide in the bogs whilst doing so!

How on earth is this acceptable and what do people do? I don't even smoke much but prior to a 7hr flight I find it outrageous there isn't an easy option.

It's against the law in the UK to smoke in enclosed, public buildings and work places which is why you have to exit the terminal buildings in order to smoke. But once you've passed through check-in they aren't able to let you out of the terminal building except to board the plane or for an emergency. So they really can't do much about it.

I guess you'll just have to suck it up (best to suck it up just outside the terminal before you first check-in and hold it in your lungs for the next few hours ;) )

Anti smoker or whatever, is it really in people's interests to be sitting next to someone gnawing through the armrest and contemplating suicide options as they go through nicotine withdrawal on a long flight?

Istanbul airport has a terrace thing, which I think (not sure now though, can't remember) is beyond security and overlooks the runway, and thus "outside". You certainly aren't really leaving the terminal building so to speak. It does feel like a cage though.

UK oil rigs (that fall under UK law) have smoking rooms.

I remember a smoking area in a bar in Dublin, where I think they have just as strict rules as the UK, and it was almost laughable the place was classed as "outside". It felt like standing under a massive window. Looking around one end of T5 and even the bit near enough the shuttle service, there would be ample places to construct something that is in the terminal but within the law. It's one thing having a law for bars and restaurants etc, but people can be stranded for hours at an airport.

As obvg says, I think the extremists have just decided to piss people off with this one.

Stangabreck - let us know how you get on!

Aberdeen airport is introducing a new airside smoking accommodation. Lost count of the number of times I've been evacuated from there from people having a sly puff in the lavvies

Anti smoker or whatever, is it really in people's interests to be sitting next to someone gnawing through the armrest and contemplating suicide options as they go through nicotine withdrawal on a long flight?

Worse still, despite there clearly being no smoking allowed on flights, the toilets of the BA plane I was on the other day still has a bin labelled for cigarette stubs only... Talk about rubbing salt in the wound!

Aberdeen airport is introducing a new airside smoking accommodation. Lost count of the number of times I've been evacuated from there from people having a sly puff in the lavvies

I read yesterday it is about to be rebranded as "Aberdeen International Airport". The only thing worse than being in that airport is leaving and arriving at Norwich :lol:

At least at Aberdeen you don't have to pay a tenner to leave...unlike at Norwich! No wonder there are so many individuals with extra digits and webbed feet!

I recently quit but there was a time that I just wore the nicotine patch to fly. Then I think my body just learned it wasn't getting a ciggy during air travel and I quit with the patches. There is also nicotine gum, inhalers etc. to curb the demon within.

Thousands of smokers fly across the oceans for hours on end with out access to cigarettes. I don't think anybody has run amock yet.

I think most smokers don't mind long flights. They do mind restless standing about waiting when on land and you can see natural light, more so when you have already just come off a long flight!

I wasn't suggest letting smokers smoke on flights, just saying its in nobody's interests to prevent them giving their lungs a final nicotine roasting before getting on the plane, especially if they've just got off a plane.

When I smoked proper ciggies and not the plastic ones (I was on 30 a day!) I managed flights, including long haul, no bother at all. Baggage reclaim, first exit door I could find, and spark up.

I wasn't suggest letting smokers smoke on flights, just saying its in nobody's interests to prevent them giving their lungs a final nicotine roasting before getting on the plane, especially if they've just got off a plane.

Well, except for the antisocial aspects that it makes them stink of cigarette smoke especially if they've been standing in an enclosed smoke bubble to smoke that last ciggie.

And if somebody needs a cigarette that badly, I don't think having a puff before a 7 hour flight is really going to last them the whole trip.

Likewise, why don't they provide a shooting-up room for the crack addicts to get a last hit before a long flight? And as for those with a sex addiction... :D I think Schiphol did try this one but the idea was vetoed.