Best countries to retire to

190 posts in this topic

Coincidentally, the dreaded Daily Fail has it's own article on the subject today:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2256031/Worlds-best-value-countries-Live-grand-month-retire-cheap-endless-sun.html

They quote from an article in internationalLiving.com, which cites the five best places as

Nicaragua, Malaysia, Ecuador, Panama and Mexico. Seems to be written on behalf of Americans, thus the Central American slant.

These countries count as "best value" for retirement.

Is Suriname out of the question for the same reasons as Guyana? An acquaintance worked there at a hospital and he liked it there. I have to admit I never heard of it before and I thought since it's next to Guyana you might know a lot more about it.

Ah yes, Suriname was mentioned upthread. I was there once as a child, but there is very little connection between the two countries, not only because of the language. I believe that Suriname is in better shape politically and economically than Guyana, but I can't imagine settling there - though I guess I could learn Dutch fairly easily due to its similarity to German.

The guy told me almost everybody speaks English, and the medical care was much better than he expected (Don't know what he expected, though). I thought it might be an option since the climate seems to be pretty much the same as in Guyana.

I would have suggested Thailand, but I guess you'll find it too touristy for your liking.

However thai countryside is very pretty and surprisingly very well maintained and connected as I learnt during my recent Sylvester trip. The weather is usually nice if you don't mind a bit of sun year round, standard of living can be very high if your budget permits, especially in a city like Bangkok, transport, food, rent etc is value for money, and many pretty little spots to travel around for a weekend break like phuket, pattaya, hua hin, Chiang mai/ rai.

Yes, my son has spent time in Thailand and loves it! But as you say, it's a little too touristy for my liking. Though I've never been there!

I suspect that in my first year of retirement I'm going to be doing a lot of travelling, checking out all these countries!

I kind of like the idea of Brazil, too.

I already noticed India is not on your list. However I wonder if it could be an ideal retirement destination, by no means New Delhi or surrounding states. Far too many people, bad quality of life, chaotic mismanaged cities, dirty air and brutal unsafe culture. Not ideal at all!

But if you move towards north-east India, in states like Orissa, Meghalaya etc the culture is polar different, open minded people, smaller quieter towns and green hilly landscapes. I do not know of any expats living up there but I know people who are from there.

And on similar lines, Kerala & Goa in south-western India ring a bell, both far safer than the north and have a rich European heritage, multicultural little cities along with pleasant coastal weather and of course sea food. I would not mind moving there when it comes to it! :)

Costa Rica. Or Belize if you prefer a place with a bit more of English language.

I already noticed India is not on your list. However I wonder if it could be an ideal retirement destination, by no means New Delhi or surrounding states. Far too many people, bad quality of life, chaotic mismanaged cities, dirty air and brutal unsafe culture. Not ideal at all!

But if you move towards north-east India, in states like Orissa, Meghalaya etc the culture is polar different, open minded people, smaller quieter towns and green hilly landscapes. I do not know of any expats living up there but I know people who are from there.

And on similar lines, Kerala & Goa in south-western India ring a bell, both far safer than the north and have a rich European heritage, multicultural little cities along with pleasant coastal weather and of course sea food. I would not mind moving there when it comes to it!

India is actually FIRST on my list! The reasons why I can't retire there are given in various posts; in a nutshell, I won't get a long-term visa.

If the law changes in the next few years I will move to India, no question whatsoever. I am headed for a place in Tamil Nadu which I consider home.

If you think that eating and drinking in Portugal lacks "choice" then, respectfully, I sugges`t that you get the @#$% out of the brit soaked tourist spot in the Algarve and look around a bit. If you aren't roaringly buzzed and stuffed to the gills, you're doing it wrong.

My apologies, I'd mistakenly interpreted your rant to suggest there are every bit as many choices in Portugal as there are in any part of Europe (despite my reply not referring to Portugal), and further suggesting that the reason I don't agree is that I resemble your definition of the arrogant moron Brit who believes the rest of the world should be just like Manchester (if us Brits could only be as open and worldly as you Yanks, the world would certainly be a better place).

But thanks for pointing out that isn't what you meant, and proving that as just another yank who's been lucky enough to make it across the pond, you actually possess the insight to realise that not all of Europe is just like Benidorm, Blackpool, or Brighton.

I'm going to glide past the part about living amongst the "natives" in Spain or Portugal, although as the initiators of the age of discovery that kind of created the category of "native" vs. European it is a bit odd.

I'm definitely not overstating what life is like in Porto, Lisbon, or Coimbra. Of course rural Portugal has none of the sorts of amenities that you would expect to find in Basel. It's rural Portugal, it doesn't have much in the way of amenities even by Portuguese standards. Neither does Mississippi- they don't have Boddington's either and also don't Savvy the Ingiliz.

We lived in Southern Italy for a while; beautiful but summer was very dry and hot - although nothing that a pool wouldn't fix!

I wouldn't recommend Australia to retire if you enjoy a sense of community (I'll probably get burnt by someone for that remark admittedly) ;)

Having put my two cents in, I'm a fair way off retiring and should probably put the hard yards in now rather than flitting about every couple of years ... :(

They disappeared when the Iron Curtain fell, Spider!

Well, arunadasi..the choice is getting harder..prices are going up everywhere if you´re on a small pension. We ( my Nicole and I ) want warm weather ( mostly ), NO big cities anywhere...visa problems ( surprised what you wrote about for India ), no crime ( or little )..where is there these days?

Indonesia? Don´t think you can get a permanent visa, either, though it´s corrupt enough for you to " encourage " the right official...

Anywhere in Africa, I wonder?

Hi Arundasi, Indonesia you can get a retirement visa no problem if you over 55yrs cost of this visa for the yr (might even be 5yrs extended yearly, much less then 1000euro) is approx 1000euro each 1st visa (I live in Bali) there are many many foreigners living here that are retired.(approx 17,000)so it can't be that bad :) Hospital situation is getting better but still not the best,again all the people i know that have been in hospital have been satisfied including me. You are close to S'apore, Oz etc as long as you have insurance.

As for corruption we all no it excites and i like it this way as you know were you stand and things are changing big time (every western country has corruption its hidden but we all know its happening, what would you rather have?) and personally i have been here for 15yrs i have never had to pay a cent to anyone.

As for Australia i would give that a miss unless you have endless cash, so expensive this is why i am living here, I can't afford to live in Oz.

Malaysia is also good, you can get a retirement visa there too (i hear inexpensive as they are catering for retirees and they have many places for retired expats to live, good food & hospitals.

Thailand not so good if you don't want to leave, i hear even with a retirement visa (could be wrong) you have to leave every 6mts cross one of the borders..All these options you can find online.

Indo, Malaysia, Thailand are all 3rd world so to speak but not really, 2nd ok

I would personally would go where I have family, it can be lonely going to a foreign country where you don't know anyone.

And you still hve places in Europe that are warmer then Germany in the winter also.

Like you said, if you have the money to go and check these places out this would be the best thing to do but spend at least 3 to 4 weeks in each country :)

Good luck E

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Ecuador ranked top nation for U.S., Canadian retirees

NEW YORK (Reuters) - With its low cost of living, balmy climate and cheap property prices, Ecuador has been ranked the top foreign retirement destination for North Americans for the fifth consecutive year.

The South American nation bordered by Colombia and Peru scored the highest marks in InternationalLiving.com's annual ranking of the best places to retire.

With monthly estimated living expenses ranging from $900 to $1,400, Ecuador surpassed Panama, Malaysia, Mexico and Costa Rica, which rounded out the top five countries.

I lived in Ecuador for about 6 months in 1971. It was wonderful, by common agreement of backpackers the best country in South America even back then. I mean, you crossed the border form Peru, and immediately the surly, sullen faces of the Peruvians turned to smiling, happy faces of the Ecuadorians. You went north and crossed the border in Colombia, and immediately people were aggressive, hostile, and downright dangerous (the men). The Ecuadorian climate is perfect and the countryside spectacular.

I won't be going back there myself, probably, but I recommend it highly.

Funny, I never thought about retiring until this thread was started... now my imagination has me all over the place. But is wasn't that long that I was reading to my kids the book...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYTmAhU12_o

Many countries were mentioned already, so there is a lot to consider.

Personally, I would use following criteria:

- political and economical stability (there is correlation between them)

- warm climate (warm, but not too humid where you constantly need to change your shirt)

- general safety and low crime rate

- pricing structure/inflation (think about import of good (European) food)

- good health care facilities (you never know when you need it)

This narrows down the list.

Perhaps some other criteria to think about? Brits would probably add:"vicinity of Indian restaurants" :).

To zero methinks...

Brits would probably add:"vicinity of Indian restaurants" .

This one would not.

Personally, I would use following criteria:

- political and economical stability (there is correlation between them)

- warm climate (warm, but not too humid where you constantly need to change your shirt)

- general safety and low crime rate

- pricing structure/inflation (think about import of good (European) food)

- good health care facilities (you never know when you need it)

Perhaps some other criteria to think about? Brits would probably add:"vicinity of Indian restaurants" .

You'll probably say I'm a nutter and dismiss this entirely, but the list above rather reflects many areas of Spain.

Economic stability is the most questionable on the list, but if you're retired, your money comes from elsewhere, doesn't it? The good thing about Spain at the moment is that because of the economy, things are getting really cheap. There are plenty of places in Spain where the crime rate is very low (all major metro areas have high crime rates - avoid). And Spain has very good health care facilities. Certainly better than NHS.

The reason I mention it is because we recently bought a house in rural Spain for our retirement (at a shockingly low price). It's not in a tourist area, but also not far from the beaches or the mountains, and not far from major metropolitan areas either. It's not like what you see in a Thomas Cook advert. In fact, very much like what you describe above (especially the climate - it's 20 and sunny today). I think there are good opportunities all over Spain at the moment ...if your income comes from outside of Spain.

Same probably goes for Greece...