Best countries to retire to

189 posts in this topic

Have you considered Chilé ?

It is one of the few places in Spanish speaking South America where i would not worry about a bank account or property being confiscated.

Upsides are weather (if you like sunny), rule of law and property rights, thriving wine industry and relative rate of technological advancement.

Downsides are relative inequality, overdependence on one industry/commodity, and higher costs relative to other South American countries.

Roughly ten years ago, i thought about moving with my family to Santiago and still consider it from time to time.

As a lusophile I second everything Lensman says - but beg to differ on the comment about paella being arroz de marisco... however, the Russians (the wealthy ones) have also discovered Portugal and are there in great number apparently... the hinterlands are Europe's best kept secret but not for much longer... Galicia in Northern Spain would also be worth looking at...

I love the Latin culture; Spain, Italy, Portugal, seem obvious choices as I already know a bit of Spanish (A Level plus travel in South America) I could easily learn Italian or Portuguese. But for some reason I'm not too keen on moving to yet another eu country. Don't know why. We went to Italy for the first time this year and loved it! Who knows...

At the mo I'm tending strongly to Malaysia. It seems to welcoming to us oldies.

I like Galicia too, but a bit short on sun. I was at a social event in Spain recently and had a good laugh listening to a conversation between a guy from Galicia and an older lady from Madrid on the lines of "But isn't it really cold where you come from". "No warmer than in Madrid". But doesn't it rain all the time...." "no"- "Tell me about the different kinds of seafood..."

Just saw a documentary about the real people behind the movie "Ziemlich Beste Freunde". The quadriplegic guy retired to Morocco, but of course he had a bit more money than I :D

Has anyone ever considered Malta? It's EU and they also speak English there.

I find the topic here to be very interesting. Would our parents (grandparents for you youngsters) have ever had this conversation?

We change countries like we change pants these days.

Back in the day, just moving to another state in the U.S. was a big dealio.

I suspect for a lot of people living there, it still is a big deal.

I find the topic here to be very interesting. Would our parents (grandparents for you youngsters) have ever had this conversation?

We change countries like we change pants these days.

Well, I'm 61 and a lot of my parents' generation moved abroad; not my parents themselves, but 6 of my dad's 8 brothers moved to greener fields and they all died either in Canada, England or the USA (one uncle is still alive and lives in Atlanta). I guess moving country is in my blood and bones - considering most Guyanese are anyway descended from migrants.

Back in the day (I'm talking now of 17th, 18th, 19th century), most of them crossed the Atlantic at perilous risk to life and limb, some as slave-owners, others as slaves. For my generation it's much too easy. In general Guyanese think nothing of emigrating, no matter how old they are. Last year my mother considered moving to the UK - at 94! (She eventually changed her mind.)

I probably change country more often than I change pants! (Pants in the US sense, not the UK :ph34r: )

I think the world's population has always been moving around. It's just quicker these days.

(But actually, I long to find that one place I can call home and settle there forever. I've always been in search of home, putting down roots, never moving off again. It just hasn't worked out. I envy those who have a real home.)

What about South America, Panama to be exact. I spent some time there and food is excellent and it is extremely inexpensive to live there. If you can deal with the manhole covers being gone from the streets every morning and the unlimited supply of people wanting to wash your windshield at every stop light, this could be for you. Whew...long sentence wasn't it? Probably could've used a comma somewhere. :P

Blimey, NoBull! Love you to bits but your geography!!! :D Panama is in Central America!! (I was there :) without space bars, remember?!!!)

Panama, NoBull: back in the 70´s..the Panamanians on the street gave me a hard time as an " American ".." gringo de mierda" so went to the " American " sector..those GIs wouldn´t let me put my sleeping bag down for a well-earned kip! So I buggered off to Colombia and got mugged the first day in Medellin!!! :D

Ah John, shut up would you. I thought I was the travel hero here, and I cringe in self pity when I read about your adventures.

I've never even had malaria. How's that for useless?

Very useless, Mad! Be ashamed!!! :D I can recommend dengue fever, though, next time you feel like getting ill!!!

The image of three weatherbeaten pirates reminiscing about their travels in an old tavern is what I will imagine every time one of you guys posts from now on.. :) John, I think you have to come up with a slightly more impressive moniker to compete with NoBullJim and Madaxmurderer. Unless G. stands for gruesome.