German contemplating moving home to Nuremberg

4 posts in this topic

So hey,

I just joined this group and I'd like to introduce myself a little. When I was married (to an American) we used this site a lot for research about living in Germany together. However, things have changed and now it's just me. I am 31, no kids and I currently live in Orlando, Florida. During my marriage I was never happy in either country and eventually I decided that it wasn't where I lived...I am now a much happier person, however, I do miss home. I miss my family, the culture and of course the security (of not wondering what would happen should I get sick or have an accident - which is always on the back of my mind here).

So here is my dilemma and this may seem funny or stupid to some, but it's something that bothers me greatly. I have never ever dated a German man. Somehow we never got along, were never interested in each other, whatever. I haven't lived in Germany in a couple of years and I sure haven't lived there as a single person since I was 19! Now while I'd try to date a German guy ;) I am wondering... is there a dating scene for English speakers (there is no "discrimination" here to where they are from...England, US, NZ, AU, whatever). If I am more inclined/more comfortable with an English speaker...where/how do I meet them? :unsure:

Please don't take offense, and please rest assured I am not looking for any visas (I am currently legally in the US and there are no visa issues in the future, so if that was my goal I'd just stay here... ;) )

Christine

Hi christine,

welcome to TT!

If you are happier with English-speakers, that is just fine!

Have you noticed the "Events" option on the top bar - a lot of organised events are advertised here on TT, but if you find that there isn´t much in your area, you can also arrange events yourself and advertise them on here - that way you would be sure to meet some English-speakers, and might even find "Mr Right"!

Of course there is a lot of uncertainty involved in making such a huge move, but at least for you, you will be "coming home" - back to your language and culture, so it should be easier for you than it is for an awful lot of people here on TT.

Use the search function to get an insight into other peoples' experience in moving, and you might be better prepared for the move itself.

Thank you. Yes, I saw there are events. But as I'm not there yet they don't apply yet ;)

I know it may seem easier for me, but having lived overseas for most of my young adult life I almost feel like I am without a home (heimatlos). However, I hope I can help some people with questions. I've lived in the Nuremberg area with an American spouse with and without military and we researched a lot and gained a lot of experience and found a lot of spots for getting what we wanted (groceries, etc.).

Have a wonderful Holiday Season.

Christine

Christine, there are a lot of people here who do not really feel that they belong wherever they came from, nor here, but we have all found our home in Toytown!

It is a strange mixture of feelings, when you simply don´t feel that you belong, but in Toytown just about everybody is accepted for the person they are, and not for where they come from!

I wish you a very Happy Christmas!