Memories from childhood

84 posts in this topic

humans do not have memories prior to 3 years of age

I for one am sure I have memories from younger than 3. I could actually speak (full sentences, not just words) at 18 months which was before I could even walk properly. To this day I have almost no sense of balance actually, and still have not shut up babbling.

I have distinct memories of certain things that stretch back to an age earlier than 3, and I am sure most people must.

Are they memories that only you know, or did they come from pictures and stories seen and told so often that now you know?

I was walking at 6 months old and talking before I was one and the earliest memories that I have are of being operated on at the age of 3.

I have some memories from around that age and possibly before but I can't say for certain that they are real and not just ones I have created after being told about the places/events/whatever and from seeing photos and home movies.

god, you lot must have been rich when you were growing up

home movies?!!

we couldn't even afford polaroids when we were growing up

spoilt bastards, the lot of yers :P

I apparently went to the doctors for a baby check up one time, whewrer I was expected to coo and smile and follow object with my eyes or god know what. Instead I told the doctor a story about seeing an ambulance yesteraday because there was an accident.

I do not remember telling any doctor that atall - but I certainly remember the accident.

I remember some sort of weird imagery more than lucid memories for some stuff, but thats also true of about 99% of my adult life too B)

we were lucky if we got a bit o' drippin to smear on a stale crust of bread, never mind home movies :rolleyes:

decadence didn't get a flippin look-in

what's super 8, anyway?

sounds a bit posh to me...

I remember remembering things, but don't remember the actual thing - if that makes any sense.

For example, I remember telling a girl in Arizona (when we moved there I was 5 or so) about the steps in my dance classes in Idaho (when I was about 3) - but I don't remember the class or the steps.

Well, relating that just triggered a flashback of a "backstage" afternoon in Idaho... (no - not a real show, just local tap dance classes and recitals)

And no - they were never filmed, we didn't have a movie camera either...

I distinctly remember biting my big brother on the back when I was about 2, and a plastic washing basket melting on a raditor in an apartment I otherwise don't remember. Other, later memories didn't come back to me until I was 37 or so, but then they hit me right between the eyes.

Oh great - now I just remembered the smell of my brother's diaper pail (nope - no disposable diapers for us then). The vision of the plastic washing basket triggered that. gross. Since he's only a year younger than I am, I couldn't have been that old...

I have no idea how old I was, but it must have been earlier than 3 years old, but I remember sitting in this cold metal thing being weighed. I remember living in Mill Street, Kingston (OK, we were there from when I was about a year until I was 4). I don't remember my sister being born, and I would have been 20 months old, but I do remember unwrapping the wooden train I got for my 2nd Christmas (a month before my 3rd birthday).

I call bullshit on all of ya.

You may be able to convince me that you had memories from 2.5 years on but prior to that I just don't believe you. I've heard people claim to remember being born, I've heard people swear up and down that they remember living in the womb. It's just not possible, our brains do not have the capability for it at that age.

Yes there are always a few anomalies out there whose brains developed abnormally quickly and are exceptions to the rule but what most of you are experiencing are false memories. Memory itself is very plastic and easily influenced by other variables. Don't kid yourselves, memory is far from accurate and separating fact from fiction is harder than you think.

Off to find research to back up my claims.

That's why I said I remember remembering, but probably don't remember the actual memory.

Ok, and that stinky diaper pail... Mainly the smell. I could have been over 3 then though if he was potty trained after 2 (which I doubt, knowing my mom)

You may be able to convince me that you had memories from 2.5 years on but prior to that I just don't believe you.

I don't care what you believe. I have the memories. FACT. Call me a freak, call me a prodigy, but my memory (pre dope days ;) ) is absoutely uncannily good, and goes back a long, long, way. I freak my family out by recalling stuff that they'd forgotten, and I should not remember.

I was in a cot, standing against the grid. I remember my oldest sister sneaking into the kitchen to make me another bottle of sweetend, warm milk. I had already had one, but was still hungry. My mom didn't want me to have another, but my sister went and got me one. :) I don't know how old I was, but I was small enough not to get out of a cot on my own, nor stand upright without holding onto the grid.

Obviously children can remember things before the age of three or how else would they learn anything. My eldest son has just turned 4 and we were on holiday in Ireland at my parents place when he was 2. At that time my parents had a fish tank in the sitting room. When we returned about a year later, the first thing he did was go into the sitting room to see the fish tank which was no longer there and came straight out and asked where the fishes had gone.

I would call that memory.

we were lucky if we got a bit o' drippin to smear on a stale crust of bread, never mind home movies

decadence didn't get a flippin look-in

what's super 8, anyway?

sounds a bit posh to me...

"Drippin, LUXURY! We use'to lick hot tarmac wi'tongue"

My earliest is 3 and very bad,

holiday in Bournemouth,

Rained incessantly,

never went that far south again for twenty odd years!

And they say it's grim up North... :angry: