A day out in Wuerzburg!

4 posts in this topic

Next week my daughter is coming from the UK and among the things I plan is a day out to Wuerzburg. She's an arty person so I want to take her to the Residenz and maybe a bit of Christmas shopping - she wants a coat for Christmas,

We are coming by train, and have a free inner-city ticket included in the price.

So, what do we do when we get to the station? How to get to the Residenz? Where's the shopping in relation to Residenz, Bahn, Station etc? We'd do the shopping after the Residenz.

Thanks for any tips!

The historical centre of Würzburg is quite small and can be done by foot. From the train station to the Residenz it's about 15 min. After exiting the station, walk along the centric Kaiserstraße, with an ugly C&A building at the left side. After about 300 metres, there's a little crossing, but you continue straight ahead through Theaterstraße. On the left side, there's the Bürgerspital, an almost 700 year old foundation, with a retirement home and a restaurant (Weinstube) plus wine shop (they own well known vineyards). The Theaterstraße leads you directly to the Residenz. Absolutely recommended for the ceiling fresco by Tiepolo in the entrance, but the other halls are nice, too.

After seeing the Residenz and finding yourself on the vaste square again, you'll see the two towers of the cathedral, the Kiliansdom, in the distance. Walk towards the cathedral, cross a sort of courtyard to the right of the cathedral. There's a lateral entrance to the church. It is an interesting mix of styles, from Romanesque to gothic, with baroque elements mostly destroyed and reconstructed in Neo-Romanesque style.

After exiting the cathedral through the main portal, you are at the heart of the city centre. If you continue straight ahead through Domstraße, you'll arrive at the river Main and the Alte Mainbrücke. If you turn to your right instead, you'll see a Kaufhof store not far down the street. Walk in that direction, and there's the Marktplatz to the left, with a beautiful rococo house (Falkenhaus), where you'll find a tourist info office. The Christmas market is in that area, too.

The shops are basically in the aforementioned streets and side streets. Not sure if there's a great selection, but you might come across smaller boutiques that you like.

If you have time, you might enjoy a visit to the Festung Marienberg (or Marienfestung), the castle you see on the hill. To get there, you need to go back to Domstraße and proceed to the Alte Mainbrücke. The signposted path to the Festung leads across the bridge, but it seems that there's a temporary detour, so it might be another half hour from the bridge by foot. Apparently the bus is only going during summer. Maybe it is best to take one of the taxis waiting in the area in front of the bridge. The Marienfestung hosts the Mainfränkisches Museum, which has the most extensive collection of statues from Tilman Riemenschneider. It's really worth seeing, particularly since your daughter is interested in art. The museum is only open until 4 pm, closed on Mondays.

If the weather is really nasty, you can also take the street car which stops right in front of the train station. Take any tram to Sanderau, Heuchelhof or Rottenbauer (not Nr. 2 to Zellerau). The second stop is "Dom", which leaves you right in the city centre, near the Marktplatz and the cathedral. Have fun!

I really like the Residenz, but the only way to see a good portion of it, is to go on one of the tours. Check their website to see when they are offering English tours. Some of the rooms are simply breathtaking in their over the top glitz and decor.

Würzburg is a nice little town, so hope you enjoy it.

Rainy days, that's splendid information; thanks a million! I'll be taking it with me our day out! It's that Tiepolo ceiling I'd most of all like to see, but all the other artwork wuerzburg has to offer is also interesting, and I'll try and fit in as much as possible.

Thanks to you too Moondancer. I'll get us on one of the tours.