First World Problems

484 posts in this topic

my view is that the more "normal" you can make (responsible) alcohol consumption, the better.  Meaning, setting a good example yourself (eg drinking without getting drunk) and not turning alcohol into some kind of forbidden fruit are the best things you can do IMO.

ergo I think an alcohol free beer is fine for kids once in a while.  and when the time comes letting them learn to drink the real thing in the safety of the home has some advantages too.

2 minutes ago, Sannerl said:

Sadly it's the taste that triggers the addiction. Ask any alcoholic.

where do you get that?

I've known many alcoholics and for them it was never the taste (wild turkey straight from the bottle tastes like ass), it was the alcohol.

1 minute ago, lisa13 said:

where do you get that?

I've known many alcoholics and for them it was never the taste (wild turkey straight from the bottle tastes like ass), it was the alcohol.

From a very good (dry for a few decades now) friend of ours who doesn't want to risk anything. And other (dry) addicts he knows.

Substituting good apple juice for alcohol in recipes works nicely.

34 minutes ago, Sannerl said:

Well, that might be true for an alcoholic who is dry now... The taste might trigger a relapse into drinking.

So, your answer doesn't really apply to the question about letting kids of 7 or 8 years drink a 0.0% Radler.

Unless the kids are alcoholics but dry now...

1 minute ago, franklan said:

Well, that might be true for an alcoholic who is dry now... The taste might trigger a relapse into drinking.

So, your answer doesn't really apply to the question about letting kids of 7 or 8 years drink a 0.0% Radler.

Unless the kids are alcoholics but dry now...

Try "Yes"-bars.

and it doesn't apparently apply to several "dry" alcoholics I've known who drank non-alcoholic beer without any further temptation at all.

anecdotal evidence is fine but don't present it as if it's a sweeping fact. 

4 hours ago, lisa13 said:

and it doesn't apparently apply to several "dry" alcoholics I've known who drank non-alcoholic beer without any further temptation at all.

anecdotal evidence is fine but don't present it as if it's a sweeping fact. 

Err - likewise?

We all should meet one day; he can tell you his story. YanYou perhaps? If you like really good Chinese food...

Madison, my floor cleaning robot, is annoying me by bumping onto the sofa while I am lying on it reading TT. 

15 hours ago, Sannerl said:

Err - likewise?

We all should meet one day; he can tell you his story. YanYou perhaps? If you like really good Chinese food...

you made a sweeping and dubious statement which has been questioned.  I have not made any sweeping statements about alcoholism, just given counter examples that refute your sweeping statement.  I don't think that's likewise at all.

17 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

you made a sweeping and dubious statement which has been questioned.  I have not made any sweeping statements about alcoholism, just given counter examples that refute your sweeping statement.  I don't think that's likewise at all.

I quoted a friend who is a dry alcoholic plus offered to arrange a meeting with him that he may tell you first hand.

He has met a lot of other alcoholics and is/was helping them to get a grip on their addiction. I really think he knows what he's talking about. And he told us that the trigger isn't necessarily the alcohol, but the taste of something containing it. E. g. rum-aroma - he doesn't risk it.

Why don't you just call me a liar right away to get it over with instead of accusing me of making "sweeping and dubious statements" just because you refuse to believe me? Sheesh...

18 hours ago, Sannerl said:

Can you define all? 

I really miss good Chinese food can I come?

I know your friends a dry alcoholic so I can bring my own Tsing Tao beer if that's okay and I'd love to meet @lisa13

We could call it a 'First world party' nothing like a good old get together and a piss up.:ph34r::ph34r:

1 hour ago, Sir Percy B said:

Can you define all? 

I really miss good Chinese food can I come?

I know your friends a dry alcoholic so I can bring my own Tsing Tao beer if that's okay and I'd love to meet @lisa13

We could call it a 'First world party' nothing like a good old get together and a piss up.:ph34r::ph34r:

Sorry for the delay (dentist; aftermaths of the first of three root canal operations).

All those interested.

Sure, why not?

He doesn't mind if others around him drink alcohol, he just doesn't participate. I just don't know when he'll have time (he's pretty busy); I'll talk to him anyway this Saturday.

No; I don't think you are allowed to bring your own beer and I don't know if they have any Chinese beer there - but I'll ask (we will be there again this Sunday).

Oh - I had my share of disagreements in discussions online. Most of the people involved I met later in RL were quite OK. No need to bring your katana (but they do have sushi etc., too).

@lisa13 I just sent you a personal message with our friend's email after having asked him if it's OK.

He is absolutely fine with a meet-up, too, but that will require further coordination schedule-wise.

4 hours ago, Sannerl said:

@lisa13 I just sent you a personal message with our friend's email after having asked him if it's OK.

He is absolutely fine with a meet-up, too, but that will require further coordination schedule-wise.

what on earth are you on about?

what gave you the idea that I have any interest in a meetup, apparently to discuss alcoholism, let alone have a private conversation with your friend?

I honest to god have no clue what you hope to achieve with this, but to be crystal clear: I have zero interest in arranging a meetup or discussion with you or your friend.  I have known so many alcoholics, reformed or otherwise, it's downright silly, and they are all different.  The reformed individuals have had success with different methods, and they have different triggers they have to be careful about. 

Your fantasy that I think you are "lying" is beyond strange. I simply don't believe that ALL alcoholics are triggered by the taste of faux alcoholic drinks.  It's completely inane to paint all alcoholics with the same brush.  If you insist on doing so, have at it, but I will not partake.

3 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

Your fantasy that I think you are "lying" is beyond strange. I simply don't believe that ALL alcoholics are triggered by the taste of faux alcoholic drinks.

For what it's worth, my brother is an alcoholic, dry since 1986 and I've seen him drinking alcohol free beer and it did not cause him to go on a binge.

7 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

what gave you the idea that I have any interest in a meetup, apparently to discuss alcoholism, let alone have a private conversation with your friend?

I honest to god have no clue what you hope to achieve with this, but to be crystal clear: I have zero interest in arranging a meetup or discussion with you or your friend.  I have known so many alcoholics, reformed or otherwise, it's downright silly, and they are all different.  The reformed individuals have had success with different methods, and they have different triggers they have to be careful about. 

Your fantasy that I think you are "lying" is beyond strange. I simply don't believe that ALL alcoholics are triggered by the taste of faux alcoholic drinks.  It's completely inane to paint all alcoholics with the same brush.  If you insist on doing so, have at it, but I will not partake.

7 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

what gave you the idea that I have any interest in a meetup, apparently to discuss alcoholism, let alone have a private conversation with your friend.

I honest to god have no clue what you hope to achieve with this, but to be crystal clear: I have zero interest in arranging a meetup or discussion with you or your friend.  I have known so many alcoholics, reformed or otherwise, it's downright silly, and they are all different, the reformed individuals have had success with different methods, and they have different triggers they have to be careful about. 

So that's the core of it - I never claimed that all alcoholics are triggered by the taste of anything containing alcohol alone.

You claimed the only trigger was the alcohol.

Don't worry; I didn't give him any information like name etc. about you.

3 minutes ago, Sannerl said:

So that's the core of it - I never claimed that all alcoholics are triggered by the taste of anything containing alcohol alone.

You claimed the only trigger was the alcohol.

Don't worry; I didn't give him any information like name etc. about you.

no I did not say that.  I can't believe you need this spelled out for you but let me take one final stab:  alcoholics are addicted to alcohol.  They relapse because they WANT ALCOHOL.

and I'm not going to quote you again but you did claim that "any alcoholic", if asked, could confirm that the taste of an alcoholic beverage, even if alcohol free, is a trigger.  I'm glad to see you finally agree that is not true.

5 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

no I did not say that.  I can't believe you need this spelled out for you but let me take one final stab:  alcoholics are addicted to alcohol.  They relapse because they WANT ALCOHOL.

and I'm not going to quote you again but you did claim that "any alcoholic", if asked, could confirm that the taste of an alcoholic beverage, even if alcohol free, is a trigger.  I'm glad to see you finally agree that is not true.

(sigh) Again, you say that I'm not telling the truth aka am lying...

Full quotes, please:

"

On 8/21/2019, 3:24:49, dstanners said:

I reckon Bitburger's 0,0 radler isn't too bad (it's not beer, but it's drinkable). My linked first world dilemma is whether or not it is acceptable to let kids drink it?

We don't let our kids have it, but at a barbecue at our place some friends did let their kids drink it. I guess since it's 0% then it's probably no worse than letting them have lemonade (which our kids sometimes drink). I'd like to say that my objection is that it stops them getting a taste for beer (but I'm really not sure that's true, and would be pretty hypocritical of me), but really my objection is just that to me is seems wrong to see 7-8 year olds walking around with Bit stubbies, even if there's no alcohol...possibly also hypocritical, but...well, that's why it's my first world dilemma. Views? 

Sadly it's the taste that triggers the addiction. Ask any alcoholic."

Oh yes - I didn't even mention if it was the taste of alcohol or the taste of something maybe containing alcohol...

Here, it was children possibly getting addicted. Read again what dstanners said; I just wanted to express my concern that that might happen with supposedly harmless stuff because "alcohol-free".

I'm sorry for assuming a discussion in real life would help get rid of misunderstandings. Well; I tried. Have a good life.

On 21/08/2019, 14:40:01, Sannerl said:

Total rubbish, I like fish and there's only 2 things that smell of fish but that doesn't make me a sex addict does it?:ph34r:

On 21/08/2019, 14:54:37, Sannerl said:

Substituting good apple juice for alcohol in recipes works nicely.

That's plain stupid, if you use wine or any other alcohol product then the alcohol evaporates in the cooking process as it reduces.