Car Purchase in Germany.

16 posts in this topic

Hi

we have been living in Germany for two years and have decided to purchase a car.

I have bought and sold a few cars in the UK (new and used) and always got a good discount on the displayed the price.

We are looking at the Audi A1 which would probably be two to three years old.

I have been looking at some internet sites Autoscout ect and main dealers.

My haggling skills will be somewhat compromised by my slow progress to learn the language.

Do the German car dealers expect you to haggle the price down?

Any suggestions on where to look for a car would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Yes but don't expect them to drop the price a lot. As you are on the border, have you considered buying a new car in Denmark and reimporting it? I did that twice and saved 23% from the list price from the Honda dealer in Vejle. It also had more features standard then what the German dealers were offering albeit the car is exactly the same as it was manufactured in England. German dealers are notorious for charging for every little extra and then making you wait months for the car. I found that the Danish dealers had more in stock too. Registering the car in Germany is a piece of cake, all you need is the bill of sale and the Certificate of Conformity which the dealer will give you for free. And then pay the VAT too.

of course you can get discounts.

When I bought my wifes car, I told the guy give me the price of the basic package, no air conditioning, no stereo, no heated seats, nothing only the price. He quoted 23,000€

I came back the next day and bought the car with everything in it for 21,500€

so put your haggling skills to work.

if the people want to sale something bad enough, you'll get it.

I'm german and I've bought some cars yet. Of course, you can get discounts - sometimes more, sometimes less. Are you planning to buy a new or a used car?

My last car is reimported from denmark. As Rhody said, this can be much cheaper. But this works only for new cars.

You can always negotiate with them. Especially for used cars.

If you see that they are reluctant to cut the price a lot, ask for alternatives like extra set of new winter tyres if they don't come with the car.

Or ask the to pay for any extra expenses (HU, etc). Especially if the car is there for some time it is even better.

MisterK is spot on. Denmark is only good for new, unregistered cars. Once a car enters the notorious Danish registration (actually a punitive tax) system, then it is relegated to the Danish market forever as no one in their right mind would buy a Danish used car and export it to another country.

rhody is incorrect about used Danish cars. Cars which are removed from Denmark receive back almost all of the tax, rated to the car's value at the time of exit. I knew a guy who used to bring used cars down this way. It was not cost-effective all the time, however, and I'm not sure he's doing it any more (so maybe it's no longer such a deal)

Does anybody have any idea how the sites like apl or autohaus24 work?

Apparently they offer huge discounts ...

Also I notived that for example same car configured in Romania is much cheaper than in Germany.

I suppose I can buy it in Romania, drive with temporary plates and then register to Germany no problem?

Hi YorkshireLad6, I'm very interested to know about your experience with Sixt, if you have a few minutes to write about it please. I'm looking to buy or lease a car and have just discovered the Sixt Neuwagen website this afternoon via other TT threads. It looks like Sixt have excellent offers but seem a little too good to be true.

Leased a Skoda Fabia on an 18 month deal., Their price was very competitive, and ended up being cheaper than they actually quoted, as the car came from a dealer who gave them more discount on the purchase, so it was impressive they passed on the saving. Had to collect the car from Stuttgart which was no big deal, especially as they gave me a one-way rental car from Munich for free. No big issues during the lease period, but the return was a disaster. The car had to first be taken to a TÜV station for inspection and then immediately back to Sixt. The TÜV valuation was way below their original calculation, so they demanded over 1500€ for apparent damage, including a new windscreen, which was covered by insurance. After a lot of back and forth we settled on 500€ plus the Windscreen (600€, which the insurance paid).

The key thing with any leasing deal is to watch the residual value they set on the car., If it's too high (which results in lower monthly payments) you may have problems when you return it. As they require an independent inspection on return, which is very detailed, you don't have much of a legal leg to stand on if the valuation on the returned vehicle is low.

It's clear they can get good discounts on new models, which also contributes to low leasing costs, but I'd suggest leasing is to be avoided - better to buy, in which case you can often get better deals on new re-imports.

Many thanks YorkshireLad6 for your informative and helpful reply. Your experience added to other insights I gathered has helped me decide to purchase rather than lease. Sorry to hear though that you had such a hassle with returning the leased car.

Just to be clear - I'm not against leasing - in fact with one exception all my cars are leased. It's just you need to be careful how you go about it, and be aware that the cheapest leasing deal may not always be the best.