Life in Baden-Baden with young children

11 posts in this topic

We are planning to move within commuting distance of Baden Baden airport and have been checking out the local towns this weekend. We loved Baden Baden but would love to hear any views on what it would be like to live there with two young children (3 and 5). Also, does anyone know what £2000 euro a month would get housing-wise?

Thanks!

Housing-wise: immoscout24.de. Select the type (apartment/house), set your price range, location (city / radius), mark any of the requirements (e.g. balcony or garage), then click the search button. The keywords and ads are easily translatable using Google Translate.

It's helpful to learn a bit of Russian ;)

Hi MichelleJ,

I live quite near Baden-Baden at Sasbach on the edge of the Black Forest. You'll enjoy Baden-Baden.... a really nice town with great culture, splendid architecture, brilliant outdoor possibilities, great cafe life and people-watching, etc etc. E2,000 will get you something more than adequate, especially if you plan to live outside the town. There's tons of nice little towns nearby. I'd suggest you dont go for the ones too close to the airport for several reasons.....first the airport is expanding at a mighty rate and what seems quiet now might not be in a year or two. Plus, its a bit flat there right next to the Rhine. Much better slightly up in the hills where the terrain is interesting, views are good and you have immediate access to the pleasures of the Black Forest. Nice towns nearby include Rastatt and Gaggenau. But if you want super access to the airport then go for somewhere such as Steinbach or Buhl.

Come back to me with any queries and I'll try to help. Good luck.

Thanks for all your help, thanks to immoscout24 etc we've found a place to live in BB. Pete48, thanks for your post, I may come back to you with some questions, interesting about the airport, that is good news for us as my husband is a pilot there so hopefully good for job security!

I often use that airport so maybe I'll run into him one day...

It's a sleepy little airport now, but so was Hahn years ago.

Hi there,

You are going to love Baden Baden - it's a great place to have kids. I live not far from Pete - closer to Achern, and I take my two little ones to BB frequently for the parks, theatre,etc. I have lived in the area for five years now - I am not a poster on this board, just read it frequently, but if you need any tips, advice, help - let me know! My two are seven and five, :)

2000€ a month??? ? Get out in the suburbs! Baden Baden is as dear as hell and completely in Russian hands Look towards Rastatt and you will find houses with normal prices

or even over the Border in France Elsass

Hi Michelle, we moved with our two children now aged 6 and9 to buhl from the UK just over a year ago , still finding our feet a bit but very happy to share what we have learnt along the way if you need any help ![

Topics merged by admin

Hello :)

I'm looking to hear/read of anyone living in Baden Baden with a family (two small girls)

Is it expensive compared to Munich or cheap like Stuttgart/ Sindelfingen area?

Looking to move away from Sindelfingen and Baden Baden at the moment looks like it fits the bill with the Black Forest, spas, parks, it appears family friendly from the times we have been there.

Moving in Germany is not cheap with three months kaution up front therefore I'd like honest feedback to help make the decision. I'm wanting to know if supermarkets are expensive, small town mentality, accepting of foreigners, good Grundschule, High school, friendly, is it just a tourist town? Is it a safe town like Munich? (always felt safe there)

If you think there is another town just like Baden Baden that you find beautiful like I do Bade Baden please mention :))

Thanks looking forward to the feedback

On April 13, 2016 at 3:13:06 PM, Aussienicki said:

Topics merged by admin

Hello :)

I'm looking to hear/read of anyone living in Baden Baden with a family (two small girls)

Is it expensive compared to Munich or cheap like Stuttgart/ Sindelfingen area?

Looking to move away from Sindelfingen and Baden Baden at the moment looks like it fits the bill with the Black Forest, spas, parks, it appears family friendly from the times we have been there.

Moving in Germany is not cheap with three months kaution up front therefore I'd like honest feedback to help make the decision. I'm wanting to know if supermarkets are expensive, small town mentality, accepting of foreigners, good Grundschule, High school, friendly, is it just a tourist town? Is it a safe town like Munich? (always felt safe there)

If you think there is another town just like Baden Baden that you find beautiful like I do Bade Baden please mention :))

Thanks looking forward to the feedback

We moved to this area from Boeblingen about 8 years ago (with our two small girls!).  it is much cheaper around here, for sure.   But probably not BB proper - it can be pretty expensive.  However there are a lot of great towns connected to BB - Buehl is nice, Rastatt, etc.  It is very safe.  The gymnasiums are stellar in the area.  If you want a really nice area and can move anywhere? For me it would be the network of villages in the rolling hills and vineyards between Achern and Baden Baden.  

Just for some background, baden baden has a lot of very rich russians (not that theres anything wrong with that!) so yeah, its pretty open to foreigners.  There are tonnes of amenities there, nice shopping and access to pretty much everything that matters.  

Personally, i love this area, much more than i loved anywhere else we lived in Germany.  You can't beat the weather and the relaxed atmosphere here.