Animal import questions

250 posts in this topic

Yeah my fault, I just emailed my bloke who was the one who did the vet stuff and it was because he was to young to be done so I was talking total bollocks. Apologies to you and Callie. :ph34r: So I was right he didn't need a rabies jab and I was right that Britain is classed as rabies free and used to not need this but I got that confused with why he didn't need it. But yeah basically I was wrong. I'm going to hide now.

trollydolly when did you move over? We came last year, August and definately needed the rabies jabs, the vet would absolutely not issue the passport without them. Mind you, we drove over through 5 countries and didn't have one passport check for either us or the cats, but I wouldn't want to risk being without it.

Mandy maybe get quotes from another vets - we had 4 cats done, microchipped and injections - came in around £600 for all 4,

edit - just read your post trollydolly, easy mistake :)

update...

My cats have to have the rabies shot and a passport... they dont need a blood test as britain does not have rabies...

but they will have to have another rabies shot every two years,

but when we come back to britain they will need the rabies blood test...

the whole cost is 52 quid for each cat...

thank you to everyone for your help xxx

... but they will have to have another rabies shot every two years, ...

There's a rabies vaccine (Pfizer) for cats which has a validity of 4 years, which is the one my 5 cats are getting. I had to insist on it at my vet's, because she only stocks the 2 years vaccine from Virbac, Virbac being her main supplier. The cost is the same and with 5 cats the 4 years vaccine is more cost efficient for me and it's less stress for the cats. Actually, Germany is officially rabies free since August 2008, except for a certain type of bat rabies, which is very rare, so there is no law that demands dogs and cats in Germany be vaccinated against rabies unless they are imported. But it's always best to regularly keep oneself informed as the situation could change again, of course.

I brought my dog over to Munich from Ireland with me in july and I was stressing about all the paperwork ect ect, after spending alot of money and having everything perfected I simply got off the plane got my luggage and then the dog came out on a convare belt in her crate and I took her out and walked straight out of airport no questions asked. Absolutly nobody checked any paperwork two other people I spoke with also had the exact same proceedure!!!

Any other qestions feel free to ask!!!

Hello my fellow Toytowners! I understand that some replies above either recommend or not recommend a mild sedative for a cat when they fly. I asked my vet if a mild sedative can be used for my cat. I asked her this because when she administered the microchip, my cat came really close to attacking her. I'm really afraid that if I don't give my cat some kind of calming agent that she will attack the TSA staff at security or at the customs agents in Germany. Is there any recommendations for a mild sedative or calming agent? Someone told me to maybe try Children's Benadryl or Children's Tylenol in a very small amount & place it in their food or water. I know I will need something because my cat is very independent & she can turn & scratch at any given moment.

Thanks!

I wouldn't use anything stronger than Bachs Rescue remedy drops in their water(test out the doseage and pay attention to its affect). Any vet worth his/her salt will not give any sedatives to pets for traveling. Supposing they have a bad reaction during the flight? Or something happens which the pet needs to be fully alert to respond to? No one is there to help. Would not take the risk. For cats that like to wriggle, bite or scratch wrap a towel aroud them only exposing the area that needs access. Cats that are nervous travelers generally calm down nicely if kept in the dark, so maybe a cover over their cage, still allowing sufficient air through of course.

[cat] ... will attack the TSA staff at security or at the customs agents in Germany.

Now I know why I always adored the cats so much. :)

Don't forget to sharpen the claws...

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has had any specific experience flying with pets on Condor. My two cats and I will be flying from Alaska to Frankfurt in early July...I flew from Seattle to Munich with a different cat few summers ago, so I'm familiar with the required vet visits, microchips, import paperwork and so on. They will probably fly in the hold, as one is too big (>6kg) to take in the cabin and the other one is so incredibly loud that I'm not sure I could subject people to nine hours of her yowling (though I might have to if Condor will only let me put one in the hold).

Any good/bad stories?

I'm late to the thread, but if you go with a sedative, make sure you test it beforehand because sometimes the drug can have the opposite effect and make the cat more excitable. One of my cats goes crazy in her carrier (the loud one mentioned above), so I decided that it would be best to plan to sedate her for the trip. On my vet's advice, we first tried alprazolam (xanax) and it made her insane, pretty much like a belligerent drunk; we had much better luck with acepromazine. Of course this is based on trial runs in my apartment...hopefully the same will hold for our upcoming trip.

Hi

I flew into Frankfurt 2 zears ago August with a large dog via Condor from Halifax, I do beleive they only had room for one animal at a time in the hold, we actually had to hang around Halifax an extra week to all get on the same flight!

All went perfect we landed here at 6am and there was no one around who even looked at our dog! She was making quite the noise in the airport could not wait to get her out of there.

Good Luck

I would not tranquilize an animal while flying. You do not know the effects it will have due to the altitude. If something bad does happen you do not have help, especially if the animal is not with you on the plane no one will know what is going on with it.

Most airlines actually recommend that you DO NOT sedate your animals when flying. Just like alcohol on flights acts differently than alcohol on the ground - the same is true for animals and sedatives.

Generally speaking - if you come over and you have a pet with you and the pet needs to go through customs - for the Vet inspection and so on, I would think that they should wait for the owner to be there. They did that with me and my husky and I have heard several others say the same. Otherwise, if they're not inspecting because you're coming from within the EU - LUCKY YOU!!

Hi folks. I am heading into Germany in August. I am currently in South Korea. I am bacsically looking for anyone with experience bringing in a dog from a country NOT on the PETS passport scheme. I am british and I am coming to Germany for the 6 months that the PETS passport takes to issue so I can return home to the UK with my dog without needing quarantine.

I have a travel vet here in Seoul who knows her stuff but at this time I want to make sure everything is ready and I will not get rejected upon arrival.

The process so far:

- microchip - done. (june 2009) company Virbac

- RNATT blood test sent to EU approved lab and passed (May 1st 2010)

- vet has told me I am clear to leave after July 30th 2010 (90 day waiting period after passing blood test)

- Must get a health check no longer than 4 days before departure. Is the health check for exiting Korea or entry in to Germany? What language should it be in?

Is there anything else?

Flights: I will fly with Lufthansa direct from Seoul to Munich or Frankfurt. Either take 11 hours. Having looked at their website it seems my dog will be able to fly in cabin (under 8kg inc weight of carrier). I already bought a hard cargo-approved crate because most airlines have much lower weight maximums that 8kg. Now, should I just use the one I got and fly him under the plane or sell it and buy a new in-cabin suited version?

I have never travelled with an animal before and I dont know how it is to take a dog in-cabin on a long haul flight. Is it more cruel to put the dog under the plane? My biggest fear is that he will get forgotten or left on the tarmac or something so maybe its safer to have him with me.

Can anyone give their expereinces with flying with dogs. im so nervous. but if i take him in-cabin and then he barks in his carrier and bothers people around me. aaagh, im so nervous.

The procedure for our two large dogs were exactly the same as SSA's - down to the Virbac chips. We found a German vet in SA and he made sure all the paperwork was in German and English. He also gave us natural anti-depressants to chill the dogs.

I can tell you that the dogs still stressed their arses off, because I had to leave them at the cargo section (very hustle-bustle and loud) and they were freaking out when I left them to go to the passenger terminal for check-in, etc. It also meant that we had to go and pick them up at the cargo centre in Frankfurt. It took them months to settle down and not jump up to follow us every time one of us got up to leave a room.

If you have the choice, take your dog with you in the cabin. Your presence will calm him and he can't be worse than some kids I've had to endure on flights.