Postbank pre-paid card

6 posts in this topic

I opened a DKB account and wrote the Postbank cancelling my account with them.To my surprise, they wrote back saying they'd like me to keep my pre-paid Visa card, and to let them know the number of my new account. I don't mind having a second VIsa card. (It could have come in useful recently, when my purse was stolen and I blocked all my cards) but it seems strange to me. How would I admnister the card, for instance? My postbank Internet banking site is linked to the account, not to the Visa card. Has anybody here done this, or have any words of wisdom on what I should do?

No wonder they would like you to keep the card, as it will cost you 22 Euros/year just to sit idle in your wallet, if it's no longer linked to a Postbank account. :(

As to the other questions I have no direct experience but I imagine you will get a new account id and associated passwords just for the card, as soon as your Postbank account is shut down.

Ciao,

Dg800

I don't mind having a second VIsa card. (It could have come in useful recently, when my purse was stolen and I blocked all my cards)

Then take your pick among these free credit cards (but read the comments at the bottom of the page, with some you have to explicitly ask them to debit 100% of what you spent each month).

If you like shopping at Karstadt, there's also the Karstadt Visa, if you like Tchibo then the Tchibo MasterCard, both with no yearly fee.

Ah, thanks! There had to be a catch in there somewhere - they couldn't be offering me it out of the kindness of their hearts!

Does anyone know if cancelling the Postbank Prepaid card will also require a 1 month notice, like they say in the FAQ for credit cards?

I want to cancel my Postbank Girokonto at the same time, which I assume is effective immediately, but the card came free with the Girokonto so if the prepaid card remains open after the Girokonto closes, I assume I'll be charged the normal annual prepaid card fee.

How do you transfer out the cash that's in the prepaid card account? Possible to any bank or only to a Postbank Girokonto?

Otherwise taking the cash out at an ATM has a 2.5% fee (and limited to 10 € increments and daily withdraw limit). I was considering if it would be easier to simply use the prepaid card to pay myself on PayPal with the 1.9% PayPal fee.