Worst bus route in Berlin

45 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Santitas said:

I like the 'M' buses because they come more frequently.

You could also sit upstairs on the double deckers, dessa and avoid the whole awkward 4-seater situation ;)

I find that many buses on diverse routes, with or without an M, very often refuse to show up at all for the better part of 3/4 of an hour, then arrive three at a time.

What does the M stand for?  Is it somehow different to the other BVG operated buses?

I don't know that the M41 is ever a double-decker?  The M29 often is and I do, when faced with no other choice but to take this comparably awful route, sit upstairs, which is also often crowded and with sticky floors and teenagers blaring shitty music out their cell phones and screaming at one another.

Thank fuck that my usual commute a.) falls outside of peak time and b.) doesn't require me to ride public transport.  I haven't been on a bus or bahn in over a year probably.  All hail the fairly short bicycle commute.  When I freelanced I was constantly on public transport which was one of the reasons I proposed to my husband, got an NE and now work in just one place about a 15-minute bike ride from home.

On 11/24/2012, 7:35:28, murphaph said:

We will miss the 171 when BER opens

haha murph!  Oh, back in those days, we still actually believed the farking thing would *ever* open.  We know better now though.

13 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

What does the M stand for?  Is it somehow different to the other BVG operated buses?

It stands for "Metrobus" and is supposed to designate "high-frequency" lines in particular.

It might as well stand for "misnamed", however: back in the day, when it was still the plain old 149, our main bus route would stop in front our former place on Kantstrasse every 7 minutes, and even more frequently during the morning and afternoon rush hours. When they renamed it the M49, they decreased the frequency to every 10 minutes (a 1/3 cut in capacity).

Darmstadt also had that sort of renaming recently and I didn't really understand why...until now  :).    Lots of familiar numbers replaced with ones you had no idea about but, again, the frequency etc did not seem to change.

The impact of increased demand for public transport was also one factor in me giving up freelancing.   Client-hopping on public transport was great a decade ago, but it felt much more a grind now you could often barely get on a bus (or popular trains), never mind a seat.   I don't commute in Berlin but I do notice the peaktime difference too.