Worst bus route in Berlin

45 posts in this topic

And a special dose of hate to all the buses from Flughafen Tegel, which are always delayed because of idiot tourists treating the driver as an information booth, rather than using the ones in the terminal, and who won't buy tickets from the machine. Factor in the delays caused by the stupid design of the junction with Saatwinkler Damm, and it's a miserable experience all round (and a dreadful first impression of the city).

The Tegel busses annoy me to no end because they all stop at my S-bahn station (Beusselstr.) which means anytime I want to catch a train I have to push and shove my way through a crowd of people hanging around the entrance with their luggage. I mean, really! They literally stand RIGHT at the top of the stairwell, completely blocking the way. Then they spill out onto the sidewalk and bike path, so god speed if you ever need to go by there.

Canadian transit pales compared to Berlin, but at least Canadians know how to stand in an orderly line! ;)

How about all of you try walking instead? It's really good for your health, hmmm or we would have another thread called "Berlin pavements to avoid". :lol:

Not everyone lives in Mitte.

Actually I live in Zehlendorf, from my perspective that is the Mitte of Berlin.

bus 200 especially from budapest str to zoo its pretty close distance but they are the worse in term of time punctuality!! they always come in so late especially on winter ..i have waited for about 15 minutes or more just to get to zoo bhf and it was snowing n freezing!

I don't use the BVG bus that often, however this morning I jumped on the bus 104, said hallo to the driver, put down my €5 note on the little tray , and asked for a single ticket, the driver immediately shouted at me that he wasn't going to accept my fiver because it looked to old, I said that it's a perfectly ordinary €5 note and that I wanted to pay, he shouted back that he had also been to school , That I should give him some type of other money and if I had a problem then I should phone the BVG. I thought for a second, how to react, smiling inwardly I gave him a rather new looking €20 note, he was fuming and had to give me almost all of his change, as I turned to find a seat , he once again shouted at the top of his voice, that I shouldn't  expect him to say thank you. The Berlin bus drivers have a bad reputation and it is sometimes justified.

Some 20 years ago I read that the BVG got a lot of complaints about the bad manners of some of their bus drivers.

Thus, they planned to sent all bus drivers to a course to learn how to behave in public.

They refused, supported by their union.

Berliner bus drivers have the right to be rude.

Obvious, that did not change.

I'd still take the bus any day than the U-Bahn. And yes, I know the U-Bahn is much faster, but there tend to be less homeless people on the bus.

ugh, I'm the exact opposite.  I HATE riding the bus in Berlin (and don't mind homeless people).  The buses look big from the outside but are somehow designed so that you have the maximum bodily and eye contact with strangers.  For that matter I hate all 4er seating arrangements anyway.  I rode the bus in my hometown (which has no subway) and never minded it, with their big wide comfy seats for big wide comfy American asses and all the seats facing in one direction.  I don't mind sitting next to a stranger but I don't want to play footsie with one and I certainly don't want to have to stare at some mindless advertising just to avoid staring them directly in the face for half an hour.

I feel like I've probably already commented this thread but the worst route in Berlin is obviously ANY night bus, or, the M41.

1 hour ago, dessa_dangerous said:

ugh, I'm the exact opposite.  I HATE riding the bus in Berlin (and don't mind homeless people).

I feel like I've probably already commented this thread but the worst route in Berlin is obviously ANY night bus, or, the M41.

If you can get to your destination before 7:20 am or so the bus can be a good, fast, and mainly empty option.  After that it is the seventh depth of hell with all the unpleasantness that Dessa describes and only a slight chance to get to your destination unscathed.

I have had the misfortune to catch the M41 between HBH and Potsdammer Platz if the M85 is not working. Jesus, what is wrong with this bus. I don't think I have got through the Tiergarten Tunnel without a fight breaking out amongst the other passengers. I shudder to think what happens further along the route. 

A special mention needs to be given to the M48 between Alexanderplatz and Potsdammer Platz. The passengers are just odd. A good bus for prople watching if that is your bent.

Now I feel I must take a trip on the M41 :ph34r:.  I have time to do the whole route, there and back.

Otherwise,  my buses when in Berlin are very much the thinly populated sort (further out & off peak in a mainly tram area).   What I always notice is that Berlin buses are one of the few transport forms (there or elsewhere) that often seem to insist on good old-fashioned driver door / ticket control entry.     Don't do it on train or tram or boat, but seem to on bus.

29 minutes ago, swimmer said:

What I always notice is that Berlin buses are one of the few transport forms (there or elsewhere) that often seem to insist on good old-fashioned driver door / ticket control entry. 

On a Berlin bus you are  presumed guilty until proved otherwise. Combine this with an old skool Berliner shout first, think later mentality and a slighty scruffy 5 EUR note then you are undoubtedly in for an intersting ride. 

I have to say, I have never dared try the DB " + city" ticket on a Berlin bus.  I seriously do not want to have to engage in dialogue on the subject.  I find a tram.

21 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

ugh, I'm the exact opposite.  I HATE riding the bus in Berlin (and don't mind homeless people).  The buses look big from the outside but are somehow designed so that you have the maximum bodily and eye contact with strangers.  For that matter I hate all 4er seating arrangements anyway.  I rode the bus in my hometown (which has no subway) and never minded it, with their big wide comfy seats for big wide comfy American asses and all the seats facing in one direction.  I don't mind sitting next to a stranger but I don't want to play footsie with one and I certainly don't want to have to stare at some mindless advertising just to avoid staring them directly in the face for half an hour.

The M29 is right up there with the M41 up until Checkpoint Charlie (from Hermannplatz)

The M48 bus is mostly a decent ride.

I like the 'M' buses because they come more frequently.

You could also sit upstairs on the double deckers, dessa and avoid the whole awkward 4-seater situation ;)

1 hour ago, Santitas said:

The  M48 bus is mostly a decent ride.

1 hour ago, Santitas said:

You could also sit upstairs on the double deckers, dessa and avoid the whole awkward 4-seater situation ;)

If you combine these two points you can also get to observe the awesome experience of the M48 bus direction Mitte getting stopped at Kleistpark to chuck off and fine the fare dodgers. The view from the top as the usual suspects cotton on to the situation and try to flee the bus, only to be caught by a dragnet of 20 or so security folks is quite cool. M85 passengers seem to be more law abiding though and only one or two get hauled off.

Haha thanks for all the laughs! The M41 - aka the Balkan Bus - is not for the faint-hearted during the day. Upstairs is a possibility if you can fight your way to the stairs. Good luck!

On the bus you’re most likely to get a seat if it’s a doubledecker (upstairs), but this is typically the slowest option and you are somewhat at the mercy of the prevailing traffic. The U-Bahn just always seems to be cram packed, although the S-Bahn is little better during rush hour. And then you always have to reckon with “musicians”, beggars and smelly bums spicing up the ride, which you generally don’t have to deal with on the buses (although there are plenty of drunks and weirdos here, too, on occasion). What the Berlin trains and buses all seem to have in common is just this old, ingrained filth everywhere and general lack of cleanliness, unlike public transit in Munich or Stuttgart.

On the plus side, you can get pretty much anywhere in Berlin using its extensive public transport network.