Accused of torrenting copyrighted material

3,143 posts in this topic

Has any one received a letter from this firm re movie downloads, and are they for real? They want us to pay 800 Euros for a movie on the list.

http://www.anwaltskanzlei-hechler.de/Abmahnung-Sasse-und-Partner-Filesharing-Urheberrecht.php?gclid=CJmYtqS_y7ACFcjwzAodmh0IXg

Which firm? Hechler who provide content of the link, or Sasse and Partner to whom they refer?

If, as is likely your letter is from Sasse and Partner, then it's real - very real. That doesn't especially mean you need to pay, but it does mean you need to react, or engage a lawyer. Hechler would clearly prefer it was them you contacted.

The letter is from Sasse & Partner asking for 800 Euros with our IP address and the movie downloaded. So if its real then I have to pay? Oh god hubby is away on a business trip he being German will handle it I suppose, but I'm in a panic now.

They also have a link about how to pay if you dont have 800 Euros at the moment, or I may have got that wrong, anyways...http://www.abmahnhelfer.de/sasse-und-partner-abmahnung

Did you (or someone in your home) download the movie? - sounds like it.

The link you have found is advising you not to pay, but at the same time not to ignore the letter. Instead they recommend you to contact the lawyer who created the webpage. They will certainly help you to avoid some or all of the 800€ but will charge you for the pleasure of doing it. These are ambulance chasers chasing the ambulance chasers.

Hmm. well thanks YorkshireLad6 will ask hubby to handle it when he gets back tomorrow :/ Weird thing is that they only have specific names of movies on the website,so its ok to download ones not mentioned!! ha!

Weird thing is that they only have specific names of movies on the website,so its ok to download ones not mentioned!! ha!

Probably because other lawyers deal with them. These will be the movies for whom they have permission from the copyright holder to act for.

So - did you download one of the ones mentioned?

Have you got your WLAN secured? It does have a password doesn't it?

Yep its secured, have my 21 year old daughter also living with us, but she said she didn't download Iron Sky :/ or any movie for that matter!!

Hi I am new to the Forum and i have to say its a great resource for expats like me with a limited command of the German Language.

I have also recieved the letter from Sasse & Partner for the same movie to which I have set the modified UE to. It seems that they accepted my UE but have asked me to pay the fee, they have also inclueded what seems to be a court judgement about the fine

I am now not sure what I should do next. I am now tempted to ignore their mails.

I have copies of the both letters they have sent me. PM me if you would like to see the response.

Loose translation (google) of the last two paragraphs.

The proposed settlement amount is more than adequate, and in the event of a contentious debate would be the one you significantly higher amount to be paid. Just for our work would be a subject of value for the injunctive relief in the amount of EUR 20.000, - according to the Attorney Compensation Act, an amount of EUR 859.80 to be paid. The amount of the item value, please refer to the relevant decision of the Landgericht Hamburg of 10.06.2009 (Az: 308 0

271/09). In addition, our client base reimbursable expenses for the investigative activities of Guardaley Ltd.. In addition, a claim for damages is for unlawful publicly accessible the work of our clients. Only for a short-term funding out of court settlement was and is our client base ready to conclude a settlement. If the warning letter said the settlement amount in the amount of EUR 800, - up to

06/25/2012

respond to our attorney escrow account is to make our client any further claims against them and look at the process as completed. Should this period expire without result, however, we will recommend our client, the entire damage immediately to enforce judicial assistance, which would incur additional costs venneidbare.

Last year I was living in Berlin as an Erasmus student, I moved back to the UK in August 2011.

Yesterday my housemates in Berlin tell me they received a letter stating that a music file had been illegally downloaded and shared in March 2011... (My housemates were both away at the time), the letter has been sent by a lawyer firm on behalf of Sony Music Entertainment, and demands that I pay legal fees of 956 Euros or go to court.

What the hell do I do?? Please help!!! Any advice very much appreciated.

The first question is - did you do it?

Keep in mind, that even if you did do it, then the owner of the internet connection is ultimately liable and would find it very difficult to deflect any legal process onto you. Legally speaking your case not to pay is strong as you are not being accused. The morals of this "defence" are more dubious if your flatmates are friends or you want to keep them as such.

Yeah, my housemates were both travelling at the time, I was the only one at home. Morally, I don't think I could leave this with them, I already responded to their message asking for the original letter. Has anyone else received a letter like this? What would happen if I didn't pay?

Get a lawyer specialized in these lawsuits we paid ours 200 in fees and 100 for the fine, better than 800 they wanted. You do the crime, you pay the fine, that's what hubby said. So no more using Pirate bay for us :/

I'm based in the UK, could anyone recommend a lawyer in germany/berlin who speaks english? My german is ok but i'm totally lost with legal-speak. 300 euros sounds a lot better than 900!! How did the process work?

Has anyone else received a letter like this? What would happen if I didn't pay?

There are 38 pages of people in this thread (where yours has now been moved to) to whom it has happened. Read it slowly and carefully. Most of your questions will be answered here, plus a few you never even thought of.

Yeah, my housemates were both travelling at the time, I was the only one at home.

Since this was your answer to the "did you do it?" question it looks like it was standard practice in the flat, and you are on the hook only because your flatmates weren't there. A bit convenient to be honest. Definitely get a look at the original letter. Either way, in the most moral scenario, you would split the fine among all the flatmates, should you choose to pay it.

But read through the thread. It's all here.

Yeah, my housemates were both travelling at the time, I was the only one at home.

It doesn't need anyone home to have a P2P server running, nor to enter your network without anyone else knowing and do the same.

I've read through most of this thread, but was wondering if there's there a template available to download for the 'Modifizierte Unterlassungserklärung'? I've just received a letter about download of an episode of Walking Dead several months ago.

This is infuriating as I buy so much media legitimately - and only download (via torrent) US/UK tv shows as they air. (and with a lot of shows, then buy on blu ray once released). Can a German DVD distributor even claim copyright of a US tv show which isn't released in Germany?

I'm resigned to the fact that I'll probably have to pay a solicitor to write the letter, but if there's a way I can do this myself, that would be the preferred option.