Accused of torrenting copyrighted material

3,143 posts in this topic

I agree but I think it's better if you never get the court summons in the first place. I believe if you make it clear to them that you won't be signing anything and that you will engage a lawyer to counter sue that they will drop the matter and not even waste the money on the summons. And you'll have written confirmation from them that they consider the matter closed.

It's up to the individual though. 

One thing I would definitely agree with is not to engage a lawyer before the court summons arrives. That money is gone if they don't take it to court (which they won't if they receive a solicitor's letter in response). But once they take the decision to sue you and it's a court matter, they will be covering your legal fees once they lose.

I also fought them myself without a lawyer but I'm very reluctant to suggest it is the way to go even after you've been summonsed. 

Each to their own however. I'm glad you beat them :-)

THe court summons will come anyway, but if you contact them they know that you live at that address. I was advised never to contact them, wait for the yellow letter, and then contest all charges. The first time they did not even bother sending the yellow envelope, the second time they did and I contested it. There is a box in the form that you can tick and send back.

Well, I did contact them and even got them to withdraw their accusation in writing and so obviously no summons ever came thereafter :-)