Accused of torrenting copyrighted material

3,078 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, marcolopes said:

And this should be on the front page of every newspapers in europe,

Every day or is every other day enough? 

1 hour ago, marcolopes said:

and even on tv shows.

And in how many (and which?) languages would you like to have it?

You realize yourself that your demands are pretty stupid, don't you? 

Ah- spoon feeding info! It really is up to us to find out rules when moving to or even visiting a 

country. 

We all know by now that downloading can be illegal/ contravene ownership etc etc.

As for children - parental lock on computer for young children. Older- well  , maybe deduct  fines from allowance?!

13 hours ago, savoysuit said:

However this neglects to consider whether or not the punishment is perhaps a bit too severe for the crime. 

While that's not exactly a perfect comparison, it matches in that the punishment does not fit the crime. It's the unthinking solution.

The problem is, and this has been explained multiple times, copyright infringement is not a crime.   It is a civil matter and since it is a civil matter, the affected part can ask for whatever damages they consider appropriate.   If the two parties can't come to an agreement in the compensation then they go to court and a judge decides.

You are asking for an impossible.

These "lawyers" are the scum of the earth, just like the Inkassovereine and Abmahnvereine, ambulance chasers and others who profit from people who have stumbled on their way through life.

They earn their ill-gotten money by intimidation and weaselwords and they should not have a place in a "Rechtsstaat" like Germany.

21 hours ago, someonesdaughter said:

Every day or is every other day enough? 

And in how many (and which?) languages would you like to have it?

You realize yourself that your demands are pretty stupid, don't you? 

Well, they are stupid at your own eyes, but could be EYE opener if there was big coverage about what's going on! Not discussing the legality of the German law, just saying that this should be a matter discussed in NEWS to reach as many people as possible. Maybe an eye opener will stop people from doing ilegal activities, PREVENT those who don't know that they are doing ilegal activities, and put those blood sucking lawyers out of business.

so NO, not that stupid...

15 minutes ago, marcolopes said:

but could be EYE opener if there was big coverage about what's going on!

Ermmm

Google lawyers suing video download germany, that will show you this page

which will give you  about 11.700.000 results

Unless of course you wish to be spoon fed as regards what is illegal or not in Germany.

25 minutes ago, marcolopes said:

Well, they are stupid at your own eyes,

If you thought about it, even in your eyes.

Maybe an eye opener will stop people from doing ilegal activities, PREVENT those who don't know that they are doing ilegal activities, and put those blood sucking lawyers out of business.

The best thing to do is to put the German traffic rules on the front pages of newspapers every day, right? And hints that shoplifting in Germany doesn't just start after you've passed the checkouts. And hundreds of other rules and laws that are different than in any other country. So that lazy people don't fall into bad traps, right?

Pretty much stuff for a front page, huh? 

And you didn't answer the question in which language that should appear...

so NO, not that stupid...

Completely stupid. Who thinks that shit up?

P.S.: Probably you also have to write every day on the front pages of the newspapers that such insulting statements

"These "lawyers" are the scum of the earth"

can be quite expensive in Germany, don't you think? Not that poor Slammer's doing something stupid because he is not familiar with German law. Oh wait, in Switzerland it's a punishable offence too ...

5 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

The best thing to do is to put the German traffic rules on the front pages of newspapers every day, right? And hints that shoplifting in Germany doesn't just start after you've passed the checkouts. And hundreds of other rules and laws that are different than in any other country. So that lazy people don't fall into bad traps, right?

Did i said "everyday"? This is, as far as i know, a subject mostly talked on forums, that has now a big lawyer industry around it. Citizens should be informed about this, and aware of it. So, after that, no escuses. But hey... let's monitor, fine, and take all we can without a whisper so we can get the most of it... is this society? People should be aware that there is a complex "gestapo" operation underway...

3 minutes ago, marcolopes said:

Did i said "everyday"?

Everything else doesn't make sense. Or do you want to make sure that all people who could come to Germany read the newspaper on a certain day? 

This is, as far as i know, a subject mostly talked on forums,

Oh. Oh. Then why does it still have to be on the front pages of newspapers? 

that has now a big lawyer industry around it. Citizens should be informed about this, and aware of it. So, after that, no escuses. But hey... let's monitor, fine, and take all we can without a whisper so we can get the most of it... is this society? People should be aware that there is a complex "gestapo" operation underway...

You're talking really hysterical and stupid stuff. Gestapo is in your head. 

9 minutes ago, marcolopes said:

Citizens should be informed about this, and aware of it. So, after that, no escuses.

You must be the only person in Europe would never heard of Kim Dotcom and Megaupload then, it was all over international news some years ago.

I suppose you have never heard of Napster either.

Citizens are aware of it in Germany, it been on the news and on Tv multiple times. Where you come from, it may not be the case.

15 minutes ago, marcolopes said:

This is, as far as i know, a subject mostly talked on forums

Quite the opposite

The part that I agree with is that everyone should get a warning with their first offense as was mentioned here is how it works in Canada. Mistakes are made, kids do stupid things and some people really don't know.

8 hours ago, Krieg said:

The problem is, and this has been explained multiple times, copyright infringement is not a crime.   It is a civil matter and since it is a civil matter, the affected part can ask for whatever damages they consider appropriate.   If the two parties can't come to an agreement in the compensation then they go to court and a judge decides.

You are asking for an impossible.

...and my point is that the system is the problem. A system that allows this is an immoral one.

2 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

The part that I agree with is that everyone should get a warning with their first offense as was mentioned here is how it works in Canada. Mistakes are made, kids do stupid things and some people really don't know.

Don't agree with you there Fruity. Legal streaming is widely available in Germany,  maxdome, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Sky ticket etc etc etc. Even when you rent a dvd there is usally a bit about downloading movies. Ignorance of the law is no excuse and all that.

6 minutes ago, savoysuit said:

...and my point is that the system is the problem. A system that allows this is an immoral one.

I agree completely. It shouldn’t be a part of civil law. Stealing is stealing. End the immorality of the situation and make copyright infringement a criminal offense. :)

14 minutes ago, LeCheese said:

Don't agree with you there Fruity. Legal streaming is widely available in Germany,  maxdome, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Sky ticket etc etc etc. Even when you rent a dvd there is usally a bit about downloading movies. Ignorance of the law is no excuse and all that.

My mother clicked on many dodgy sites in her 80's. It happens. My FIL is 95 and on the internet daily. Children's brains don't come in until their mid 20's.

One get out of jail free card doesn't seem unreasonable considering the crazy fines for getting caught the first time. Akin to a warning ticket the first time one gets caught speeding for just a little over the limit.  

That is why it should be a part of criminal law. Then it could be determined on a case by case basis, whether it was actually a criminal act or not. 

The problem is of course, that the courts would be completely overloaded with such cases. 

4 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Akin to a warning ticket the first time one gets caught speeding for just a little over the limit.  

In Germany? since when? ;)

4 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

One get out of jail free card doesn't seem unreasonable considering the crazy fines for getting caught the first time

Who will finance it? Don't get me wrong, I sympathise with folk getting hammered with large fines but I see it as no different from shoplifting - should we let folk off first offence there as well? It is a slippery slope.

The new cottage industry of lawyers that make a living off of it can easily finance it. Send a form letter and pay for one stamp for the first offense.

I can see the slippery slope so when they catch someone doing it the second time after receiving a warning, charge them double or triple.

(I got 13 warning tickets for speeding before I got my first and last real one. They would ask me if I ever had a ticket before and I honestly answered No Sir. They never asked if I had had any warning tickets. I was cute when I was young.)

30 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

My mother clicked on many dodgy sites in her 80's. It happens. My FIL is 95 and on the internet daily. Children's brains don't come in until their mid 20's.

One get out of jail free card doesn't seem unreasonable considering the crazy fines for getting caught the first time. Akin to a warning ticket the first time one gets caught speeding for just a little over the limit.  

No. Cut off their hands! They should have known better.

By the way, for those defending this corrupt system, a non-insignificant portion of these situation are caused by people who are using wifi, but the owner is still always at fault. For those comparing this to speeding... should the owner of the car be the one who gets the ticket?

This, the amount of the fine, etc... make this far more complicated an issue than can be boiled down to the mouth-breather "it's wrong, don't do it. Should have known better." argument.

The fines are disproportionate to the offence. And someone, a few posts back, mentioned their fine dropped from €1,400 to €600 after the mildest of objections.

The fact that they can get away with asking for €1,400 in the first place is not right. It's blatant overcharging.

I wonder if the Rechtsanwaltskammer have powers to intercede.