Accused of torrenting copyrighted material

3,081 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, krendan said:

The last digits of the IP adress are completely different than my IP adress.

Different than your current IP address, I assume. Almost all private customers have dynamic IP addresses which may change every so often. Maybe you can check your router's logs (if they reach that far back, often the log resets when the router is restartet).

16 minutes ago, HEM said:

Generally they accuse you of uploading the movie.  Even if in 22 seconds not much could have happened.  But spy software got you & your provider handed over your data.

I realize that.  Its always uploading.

13 minutes ago, sneaker said:

Different than your current IP address, I assume. Almost all private customers have dynamic IP addresses which change with every reconnect (and many ISPs force a reconnect every 24 hours). Maybe you can check your router's logs (if they reach that far back, often the log resets when the router is restartet).

Even if I restart my router, I get the same IP. I just tried it for the third time this evening.

That doesn't mean you always have the same IP. (I have my corrected my earlier post not to say it happens with every reconnect. The original statement was false, sorry.)

1 hour ago, sneaker said:

That doesn't mean you always have the same IP. (I have my corrected my earlier post not to say it happens with every reconnect. The original statement was false, sorry.)

Thanks.

even if its a different IP address, unfortunately that does not matter, because at the time and date that the uploading occurred they (the lawers ) ask your IP provider who it was, the IP provider tells them who that IP address was allocated to at the time.

It might be worth checking with your IP provider, to ask if you have a static or dynamic IP address - also - if they can tell you, your at address at the time/date of the offence - to see if things match up.

This all assumes, you are sure you did not do it, and all computers you have do not have any od software on them.

Otherwise, there are loads of posts in this thread about this subject, maybe you should read through them. I no its a pain but you may find something - even try PM'ing some of them to find out what happened in cases similar to yours, and of course please report back here with any useful information to help others.

11 hours ago, krendan said:

Even if I restart my router, I get the same IP. I just tried it for the third time this evening.

It depends how long the "lease" is.  For example if the lease is 60 minutes you can restart your router and as long as it come back before the lease expires you will get the same IP.   

Or your ISP might have implemented a totally different mechanism to assign IPs.  

17 hours ago, krendan said:

Now it's my time.

I am being accused (by Waldorf) of downloading a movie.

The data they show says I downloaded/uploaded a movie for 22 seconds.

The last digits of the IP adress are completely different than my IP adress.

They want me to pay a total of 915 euros.

I want to contact a lawyer, but I am a bit lost in this case. Do I just try to find one close to home? Are there online english speaking laywers who would be better suited?

It's an unpleasant thing to find in the postbox. There is a wide range of lawyers to choose from.

These are among the leading guys and it will cost you 500+ for them to deal with it. They have English. https://www.wbs-law.de/eng/ There are plenty of others and you can get a cheaper local one in German. It's up to you.

The standard advice you hear online is don't ignore it and don't sign it. This is not legal advice and I am not a lawyer.

Only 22 seconds?? It seems like one could fight this. I can imagine myself mistakenly clicking on something only to realize what I was doing was illegal and shut it down. I've never heard of such a short offense.

39 minutes ago, black1 said:

Your choice. It's an unpleasant thing to find in the postbox.

These are among the leading guys and it will cost you 500+ for them to deal with it. They have English. https://www.wbs-law.de/eng/ There are plenty of others and you can get a cheaper local one in German. It's up to you.

The standard advice you hear online is don't ignore it and don't sign it. This is not legal advice and I am not a lawyer.

I actually got some offers now on Jurato. But the values are far below the 500. Some are even around 200. Im trying to figure out what this includes. All of them say it includes all the correspondence and submission of declarations, but Im trying to find out what other costs are there.

20 minutes ago, krendan said:

I actually got some offers now on Jurato. But the values are far below the 500. Some are even around 200. Im trying to figure out what this includes. All of them say it includes all the correspondence and submission of declarations, but Im trying to find out what other costs are there.

My family in germany is on the same boat... They got a lawyer that took care of everything (first letter, subsequent letters, etc) until WF gives up OR goes to court.

3 YEARS later (well, almost!) WF came back with a court letter that must be responded, or they have the right to pawn my family possessions!!!! This is not covered by the previous deal with the lawyer... so, MORE money! and now... WF has 6 months to go to court or drop this charges (that does not make the case go away! they have plenty of time to start another process if they drop this one!)

So, this is really a f**** up nonsense that thousands of families find themselves in, mainly because kids install Popcorn time to watch a series or movie and don't know they are torrenting...

57 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Only 22 seconds?? It seems like one could fight this. I can imagine myself mistakenly clicking on something only to realize what I was doing was illegal and shut it down. I've never heard of such a short offense.

It does not matter the time. It could be 10 seconds, one minute, or the whole movie / episode.

It's sick, but it's true.

10 minutes ago, marcolopes said:

My family in germany is on the same boat... They got a lawyer that took care of everything (first letter, subsequent letters, etc) until WF gives up OR goes to court.

3 YEARS later (well, almost!) WF came back with a court letter that must be responded, or they have the right to pawn my family possessions!!!! This is not covered by the previous deal with the lawyer... so, MORE money! and now... WF has 6 months to go to court or drop this charges (that does not make the case go away! they have plenty of time to start another process if they drop this one!)

So, this is really a f**** up nonsense that thousands of families find themselves in, mainly because kids install Popcorn time to watch a series or movie and don't know they are torrenting...

Do you know the lawyer firm/name? Just to make sure I dont take the same.

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Doesn't matter - they are pigs, and the laws in Germany are complicit. 

57 minutes ago, savoysuit said:

Doesn't matter - they are pigs, and the laws in Germany are complicit. 

Or maybe you should not download/upload copyrighted stuff via bit torrent.

31 minutes ago, Krieg said:

I think the problem is the size of the fines. Not the fine itself.

4 hours ago, Krieg said:

Is that you, Waldorf? Lol.

8 hours ago, marcolopes said:

Wow that is crazy!!! you end up paying the lawyer for nothing and now your parents possessions could be pawned?

I have only moved to Germany last year in August, but one of the first lessons here for me was to not ever activate my torrent here... that was a painful one that won't happen to me again!

I had my case dealt through abmahnungshilfe.de those guys are no lawyers and they say they are not able to give legal advice. but they negotiate an agreement with Waldorf Frommer that brings down the subsequent amount of the initial warning letter. In my case it was E 300. I am now paying it off in E 50 per month.

I wouldn't personally trust a lawyer how charged me 500 quit just to go to court 3 YEARS later??

here is the link in case anyone agrees: www.abmahnungshilfe.de