Accused of torrenting copyrighted material

2,700 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, Mr.Bear said:

For my  seedbox I pay with PayPal.

I use a seedbox  service from Netherlands and I pay at every 3 months 29 euro.

Which do you use? I was looking at seedhost.eu; they seem to have decent reviews.

8 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Yes. I think you can buy a dollar equivalent amount .  It might be traceable but we're talking about paying for a VPN and not for drugs or guns. I hope :ph34r:

I only ask because if the VPN provider gets a letter about infringement from a lawyer they may hand over the PayPal or credit card information that was used and it comes back to you eventually... though this seems like a really long way to go for them.

They would need to keep activity logs in order to identify who did what.   And having activity logs make you a bad VPN.

Some providers have helped police to find real criminals (i.e. HideMyAss) but then they've got lots of backslash for it.

After 4 years and thinking I was forgotten.  I have a court date for downloading/ uploading.  I am looking at €1000 or more cost without any fine or judgment given. Up to €5000. Don't download people.  

I recently downloaded and used a VPN - highly recommended and top reviews.  After one days use, email was hacked from one of the server locations I chose.  Coincident?  Immediately canceled it and removed it.  Doubt I'll do that again.

The question is how do you relate the two things?  How is the VPN connected to hacking your email?

VPN need to be used with the torrent software. A short dro in the VPN can leave you uploading with your real IP address. Down downlaod. Stream netflix etc :)

VPN is only safe for getting BBC or other country-blocked video. For torrents, It is easy to get caught if you forgot to turn it on, or lose connection and it switches back to your real IP address.

Seedbox is the safest choice for torrenting.

But Usenet is way faster and safer than anything else. It's gotten technically easier with the likes of SABnzbd.

10 hours ago, wien4ever said:

VPN is only safe for getting BBC or other country-blocked video. For torrents, It is easy to get caught if you forgot to turn it on, or lose connection and it switches back to your real IP address.

Seedbox is the safest choice for torrenting.

Or you could configure your torrent program to only connect if the VPN is active.

22 hours ago, AlexCLE said:

Which do you use? I was looking at seedhost.eu;

That's the one I am using from 2014.

I have a Seedbox SB7, 3 TB upload traffic per month and 500 gb storage space.

At 9.5 euro per month is more than enough for me.

For FTP client I am using Filezilla.

On ‎10‎.‎10‎.‎2017‎ ‎13‎:‎33‎:‎54, positivethinking said:

After 4 years and thinking I was forgotten.  I have a court date for downloading/ uploading.  I am looking at €1000 or more cost without any fine or judgment given. Up to €5000. Don't download people.  

Wow, hard beans to swallow :/

Was it really for both “download & uploading” or was it really only for uploading?

12 hours ago, Mr.Bear said:

That's the one I am using from 2014.

I have a Seedbox SB7, 3 TB upload traffic per month and 500 gb storage space.

At 9.5 euro per month is more than enough for me.

For FTP client I am using Filezilla.

So I just signed up for seedhost... how the hell do you use it for torrents? I thought it would be a little more obvious and I'm not having much luck with the support pages.

edit... just found the rutorrent link. Now I just need to work on adding torrents and connecting filezilla and openvpn.

On 11/10/2017, 21:48:26, AlexCLE said:

So I just signed up for seedhost... how the hell do you use it for torrents? I thought it would be a little more obvious and I'm not having much luck with the support pages.

edit... just found the rutorrent link. Now I just need to work on adding torrents and connecting filezilla and openvpn.

Wouldn't it be easier/cheaper get a kodi box? Bit of a learning curve but has everything you could ever want or need

4 hours ago, SevereCircle said:

Looks like WPA2 has been hacked and can no longer be considered secure.  Will be interesting to see if this can be used as a defense..

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/oct/16/wpa2-wifi-security-vulnerable-hacking-us-government-warns

yeah, interesting

but in the context of torrenting, it says that using a VPN will protect you.

As Krieg says, make sure your VPN is  setup well, with a kill switch, to cut internet use if the VPN fails and make sure you check for DNS leaks, before using

What's everyone's opinon on downloading stuff  from 'Open directory' ? From what I understand it's pretty safe, especially if using a VPN.  ISP could potentially see what you're doing if you're not using a VPN

No uploading at all so unlikely to get an Abmahung. The sharer is more likely to be the target. 

Some of the stuff available is amazing 

I think it's been said many times on this thread. Downloading is not the problem - Uploading is. So if you're not uploading, you're not 'sharing'. If you also have a VPN you should be fine.

So how do I avoid future headaches if I rent out my apartment all inclusive, including internet? 

Can I then just send a copy of the contract to the blood sucking predators? Or will it be ignored, saying I am responsible, demanding legally proof read documents as a response or else it will be seen as an admission of guilt? Basically forcing one to contact the predator's inbreed sibling to send a couple of standardized letter for 250 Euro? 

From what I understand, many subletters and landlords are putting specific requirements in rental contracts stating that ANY illegal activity will be on the tenant(s). It's the only way to protect oneself these days. If the tenant chooses to sign the contract, it is on them. Of course the wifi must be secured.

On 10/16/2017, 12:05:57, Tim Hortons Lady said:

Wouldn't it be easier/cheaper get a kodi box? Bit of a learning curve but has everything you could ever want or need

With a kodi box you can download any programs, games, software with it?

I have a database with 40.000 movies (personal use) can you do that with a kodi?

If the answer is no then a seed box is the best option because you can access anything from a torrent site without any legal issues.

And the legal issues with a Kodi box - https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/2992997/kodi-boxes-illegal-penalties-premier-league-streams-shut-down/

No need

22 hours ago, Mr.Bear said:

With a kodi box you can download any programs, games, software with it?

I have a database with 40.000 movies (personal use) can you do that with a kodi?

If the answer is no then a seed box is the best option because you can access anything from a torrent site without any legal issues.

And the legal issues with a Kodi box - https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/2992997/kodi-boxes-illegal-penalties-premier-league-streams-shut-down/

No need to download as you just stream what you want. Are you downloading to your seed box with torrents?