Accused of torrenting copyrighted material

2,670 posts in this topic

Things are always changing, for example the EU has changed the legal position with regard to streaming -  its now copy write infringement to stream.

This means if you subscribe to a moive/tv  IPTV provider ( for money ) and they have not got an agreement with the writes holders, then you are  liable for copyright infringement proceedings  and you might not even know it. for example ( the obvious case ), if you get SKY (uk) products here you are infringing the copy writes holders wishes, as you are not resident in the UK.

ISPs can see the traffic you stream/download, they maybe required to report people who do this in the future ( not at the moment ), they already do this to manage your bandwidth.

While its accepted that at the moment you are more or less 100 %, the only real protection is a VPN, because then nobody can see what you are doing.

Good advice from 'yesterday'.  For the future use a good VPN service.  If you are going to stream a lot get a dedicated IP in the country you want to stream from.  About 75 euro a year all together for one of the top services.

I have a VPN but it's on the device not the router. The problem is I haven't been able to figure out to add a VPN to a fritzbox. Loads of tutorials but it's super techy stuff which I don't understand 

Quick question. How many people have actually been sued for torrenting when using a VPN ? Any statistics would be good.

I've heard of VPN's disconnecting for a few seconds and the torrent continuing to download i.e. not via the VPN and exposing your 'real' IP address to the world. 

Can you still be sued for only a few seconds of torrenting / seeding ?

"disconnecting for a few seconds" is a pipe dream anyways. You kinda assume you are sitting in front of your screen looking non-stop at the VPN icon. In reality, torrenting is more of a background task. People do it while they sleep, taking a shower, watching TV ... Or people wake up, start their PC while still half-asleep and the torrent client is still up from last night but the VPN isn't and it isn't until you had your first coffee that you notice.

Did you ever use your mobile data accidentally because you didn't notice your wifi disconnected? Same thing, basically.

I have read but not tried it. You can config your Torrent software to only work with VPN. I am sure you could find how to do it if you want. I just watch netflix and amazon these days and wait until movies get there ;)

2 hours ago, Kase said:

How many people have actually been sued for torrenting when using a VPN ? Any statistics would be good.

As far as I can tell, over a period of more than about a year or so of semi regular use virtually everyone gets at least a threatening letter.  I dont have hard facts, but I have plenty of friends and they are divdieded nicely into "Dont torrent", "Im paranoid and only use a VPN expclusively" and "I just got a letter from frommer and someone ps help".

2 hours ago, Kase said:

Can you still be sued for only a few seconds of torrenting / seeding ?

Sure.  As soon as you leave footprints that they can follow you are fair game.  One might hypothesize that those who only connect for a few seconds are actually the hardest of hardened torrentors who generally use a vpn and somehow messed up and for that reason such activity might even make you a more juicy target.  But I suspect not, I think they have a list of several million ip addresses and they simply work down it more or less in order raking in the cash as they go.