Accused of torrenting copyrighted material

3,081 posts in this topic

They have until the end of the year + 3 years from the time they got the sharer's personal data. (time might be extended for a few months under some specific circumstances)

30 minutes ago, sneaker said:

They have until the end of the year + 3 years from the time they got the sharer's personal data. (time might be extended for a few months under some specific circumstances)

That is interesting, although reports here show that they are quite reactive in such cases, I heard ppl receive the letter within 6weeks. I believe they want fast turnover. 

Yeah, that's common. In the beginning they send a bunch of scaring letters because it's cheap for them. If that didn't scare the victim enough they will look into Mahnbescheid and lawsuit when their time runs out.

43 minutes ago, sneaker said:

Yeah, that's common. In the beginning they send a bunch of scaring letters because it's cheap for them. If that didn't scare the victim enough they will look into Mahnbescheid and lawsuit when their time runs out.

But wouldn't (pure speculative here) make sense from a business point of view to wait and "prey" they could build major cases if one's not aware of such laws. Are they limited somehow?

That is a good question. I know it happens sometimes but usually not.

17 minutes ago, sneaker said:

That is a good question. I know it happens sometimes but usually not.

sorry but what happens? do you have any source?

I mean more than one work per letter. Like here (last picture). But it is unusual and I don't know why.

13 minutes ago, sneaker said:

I mean more than one work per letter. Like here (last picture). But it is unusual and I don't know why.

Interesting, I never use p2p, was "lucky" to see this thread since I landed in Germany and TT but sometimes I wonder how things work in background. 

But according to Article only WF is doing this representation of big studios and only for "sharers" because to check direct downloaders they would have to "sniff" your network to see what are you seeing in whole internet and by p2p you upload meaning you connect to them and give them the content. 

What I don't understand is how WF controls all torrent trackers? I mean if you download your torrent from TPB for instance only ppl connected to this tracker will share information. Are WF sharing torrents in hundreds of trackers for ALL the movies represented by these studios? 

maybe this doesn't make much sense as questions, just continuing the discussion to try to understand how big of an effort is this and why other countries don't enforce it same way? 

3 minutes ago, WhyNot_DE said:

What I don't understand is how WF controls all torrent trackers? I mean if you download your torrent from TPB for instance only ppl connected to this tracker will share information. Are WF sharing torrents in hundreds of trackers for ALL the movies represented by these studios?

No one can monitor all trackers, but just the 10 biggest trackers probably have enough victims to keep all their lawyers busy. Not every pirate gets caught.

3 minutes ago, WhyNot_DE said:

maybe this doesn't make much sense as questions, just continuing the discussion to try to understand how big of an effort is this and why other countries don't enforce it same way? 

Other countries may simply not know the concept of "Abmahnung" where you pay for a warning letter. Or maybe their privacy laws don't allow the ISPs to hand out the user data for copyright infringements in the first place. I wouldn't overthink it.

Without wading through 119 pages, may I ask a simple question of thread participants? 

Has anyone who was using a VPN service, had any type of issue related to legal letters and such? 

No, it doesn't happen if the VPN is set-up correctly. I mention the setup because often software falls back to the "normal" connection in case the VPN connection is interrupted. Recommendation is thus to avoid p2p altogether in favor of legal alternatives (or at least one-click hosters like uploaded) or to use a seedbox in a safe country.

Oh, and be careful with streaming services like PopcornHour as well. Some of them use p2p in the background.

And do some internet providers making it difficult to use a VPN with their router or other hardware?

I don't use peer to peer or any illegal stuff but I do use a VPN for privacy reasons. 

3 minutes ago, CustomX said:

And do some internet providers making it difficult to use a VPN with their router or other hardware?

I would be amazed if they do.  Most people expect to be able to work from home and that will almost always involve a VPN.  I have only ever once in my life had a problem using a VPN and that was from a hotel in stuttgart.  And I suspect that was incompetence from the hotel rather than a cunning plan to limit my access.

On 4/7/2016, 10:57:04, sneaker said:

Question - I'm visiting Germany and my landlord just got one of these scary letters.   2 things.

1. it has 3 episodes of TV on it, but I downloaded that same day 3 additional ones at the same time, but I"m pretty certain I didn't seed them or let them go to seed.  the other 3 are not on the notice.     does that mean they weren't found?

2. The letter i received is for activity on 3/29, but I also downloaded on 4/9 (same show new episodes) - should I expect another

letter soon?

When you are downloading torrents, you are also uploading at the same time, so you are seeding in a sense.  You may get more letters you may not.  

When you are downloading torrents, you are also uploading at the same time

If I had a bottle of Bombay Sapphire for every time this has been said on TT, I'd have martinis forever.

One thing I don't get. How can you be identified over a constantly changing dynamic IP range anyway? If they're being shared around like biscuits each time you establish a connection, the only owner of the connection is the telecomms company, right? How do they know who seized and released a constantly (maybe randomly) changing connection?

Or are these lawyers just going after people with fixed contracts that tie them down to a specific internet cable/connection?

1 hour ago, paulwork said:

One thing I don't get. How can you be identified over a constantly changing dynamic IP range anyway? If they're being shared around like biscuits each time you establish a connection, the only owner of the connection is the telecomms company, right? How do they know who seized and released a constantly (maybe randomly) changing connection?

Or are these lawyers just going after people with fixed contracts that tie them down to a specific internet cable/connection?

I can answer that one, as one of my jobs was with a DSL provider (dynamic IP addresses only).

I was expressly ordered by my employer to answer police queries as what customer had been assigned a specific IP address from the dynamic pool  at a certain time.

Now, this was about fraud etc. cases already under investigation, but it does show it is perfectly easy to look up stuff like that in the provider database (I won't bore you with technical details, but address assignments are logged to the second). Even without government mandated Datenspeicherung (officially retaining data), providers hang on to data for easily months (for billing problems etc.).

The real question here is the legalities of getting hold of that information. As far as I know, lawyers need to get a court order or similar to contact a provider, but they seem to have that worked out.

tl;dnr:

Yes, you always can be caught, even with a dynamic IP address.

On 4/2/2016, 7:54:55, positivethinking said:

So I got a letter from Waldorf Frommer in 2013. I binned it and heard nothing until 2 months ago. They sent a reminder with a final date. then another changing the date and now a 3rd reminder. They don't even have what movie or when just please pay or you can go to court and pay a €5000 fine. I will wait for the yellow letter but I hope they see I am not answering and leave me alone. Having got a yellow letter from another issue. I will do all I can not to give them money. I don't download and the stress they cause people should be the crime.

Got yellow letter. Strange I did not have to sign for it ??? Lucky it was not missing in the post in that case. Going to book appointment with solicitor to send it back saying that I did not download it. They don't even have a movie name on the letters. Just twentieth Century Fox home.  

I will keep informed what happens. I don't download  so I don't know why I got this? Any one Idea's ?