Accused of torrenting copyrighted material

2,670 posts in this topic

Guys dont use a VPN to download torrents.  Its slow and if the VPN goes down and disconnects whilst you are in the middle of a download then you will use your local connection to continue the transfer and "BOOM" wait for the letter...

Use a seedbox; essentially a remote server in a download "safe" country which downloads the torrent for you and then enables you to make a secure Https connection to the server to download the files to your PC.  This way you are never uploading anything from your IP address.  They are cheap as chips (around 12€ for a year), many dont use logging and you are as safe as possible.  Example -   (https://yourseedbox.com/)

SeverCircle is right , seedboxes are great . Sometime you might want to use a vpn especially for popcorn time web edition or the new streaming option on piratebay torrents kick ass and so on . Streaming can be more convenient thant a seedbox where you have to download it to you seebox , download it to your pc before you can watch it and delete it to stop your hard drive filling up . 

when you use your vpn there should be a kills switch option , to disable the interent if your vpn goes down. Keeps you safe and very important to know it. 

horses for courses. I had given up on vpn , 100% seedbox but can see myself coming back a little to torrent streaming if it's works as promised. 

Hi all, newbie here but today received a letter from a law firm named Waldorf Frommer. Had a rummage around the web to see what the deal with this kind of stuff is and thought I'd also come here to seek help and advice. Basically they reckon I torrented the Martian when I haven't even seen it yet! I do live in a large apartment complex so I guess it's possible someone has latched onto wifi and used it to download? I'm a student on Internship in and actually return to the UK beginning of April but they're asking for 815 Euros which is not something I want to pay when I didnt do it! Any answers or advice PLEASE!! The letter is fairly lengthy (around 8 pages or so) and all in German (my German is rubbish) and to be quite honest I'm Sh*tting myself!

if you are studying in Germany...then its no wonder you are shitting yourself!

You should have listened in class!

Probably...I tend to try and steer clear of these kind of misdemeanors!! Fair to say transitioning to life over here has been one hell of a ride so far

Probably???I 

You think I am wrong...Ignorance is Bliss Etc etc etc...

Try reading the thread from start to finish...   

Then make up your own mind---- Pay or get a layer involved....

If you are going back in April then relax and forget about it.  I have received my reminder from them 2 years after the first letter.  Until you get a yellow court letter you are ok. If you leave in April.  Relax and don't let these f@#$er give you a minute more of worry.  

They claim I downloaded a movie in 1 minute as they have the time on it. They work on fear. Never pay get a lawyer fast if you get a yellow letter. 

Good luck. 

My Rechtsschutzversicherung didn't cover it, and I'm covered for most stuff. The reason given is because the Internet is still such a new area and it changes regularly, so nobody really wants to go near it, insurance wise that is.

Was discussing with our CISO today about the "new" Data Retention Law (it was actually passed in December and came into force in January 2016).

According to him, metadata (i.e. everything except the content, which for instance would include - I guess, I am not a lawyer and this does not constitute legal advice - the information as to whom a specific IP address was assigned at a specific time) can only be retained for 10 weeks and it can only be accessed in very specific conditions. 

I am wondering what impact this has in the torrent discussion context...

Some comments (in English)

The complete text (in German)

The ISPs will have to save the IP<>name/address allocation for 10 weeks. You used the word "only" but prior to the new law most German ISPs only saved those for a few days, some (Vodafone) not at all. The lawyers still need a judge to access this data, so there's no change in this regard. The ISPs still have time to implement the new rules until mid-2017.

Bottom-line: the situation of peer2peer users is getting worse, the lawyers' situation improves.

Whats a Rechtsversicherung? With regard to my case should I contact a lawyer or not bother if I am going back to the UK permanently in April?

I only ask as by the time I contact a lawyer and things get set in motion - I will be long gone and unless they can track me back to the UK then I would be in the clear? 

Rechtsschutzversicherung

As others have said Rechtsschutzversicherung may not cover a case like yours and like many types of insurance it may not cover you for incidents that happen before you take out the insurance.

It is possible that a legal ruling in one EU country may be applied in another. There are also cases where a debt is sold to a debt collection agency. Debt collection agencies make their money by chasing people down and forcing them to pay the original debt + additional fees, their legal costs etc.  The original debt can grow very quickly.

In the 21st century it isn't easy to just disappear by simply moving to another European country.

With streaming now mainstream there is no reason to torrent anymore. Simply google the name of the show and stream free. Highly suggusted to use an adblocker. 

@FuerthManFraf  they send the bill to the persons name on the Internet contract so I assume you are living in a WG or student housing So are you not using someone elses internet?

17 minutes ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

With streaming now mainstream there is no reason to torrent anymore. Simply google the name of the show and stream free. Highly suggusted to use an adblocker. 

@FuerthManFraf  they send the bill to the persons name on the Internet contract so I assume you are living in a WG or student housing So are you not using someone elses internet?

Except when you must see the latest Walking Dead which was shown in the US last night and is not available to legally stream at the moment. ;)

30 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Except when you must see the latest Walking Dead which was shown in the US last night and is not available to legally stream at the moment. ;)

One could always set up an Amazon account in the USA and buy a season pass to stream.  Though I suppose one would have to read the T&Cs to see if it's allowed to stream this way overseas.

On 14/03/2016, 12:48:43, Jonny said:

True but most are available on grey market streaming sites like Watch TV  pretty quickly.