Astra 2F and Astra 2E - New satellites arrive

815 posts in this topic

Zattoo works fine for me (Swiss content, so UK FTA channels available) with overplay smartDNS. There must be something else not right there if it's only showing the German channels.

The beauty of SmartDNS is that it can fool the geo-location mechanism to be wherever it (or you) wants you to be, rather than a VPN which is fixed to a certain country.

It's this approach that allows us to see US content too (cbs.com, hulu, and all the other US streaming TV).

I was looking around the zattoo site and saw that it said there's a zattoo app for Samsung and LG Smart TV's. Has anyone installed it?

I would say that if you've got one of these TV's, and the app works (via SmartDNS), then this has got to be the easiest way of us getting our UK channels. For $5 a month plus nothing for free zattoo is an incredible deal, and as a TV app it don't get no easier than that for the technophobes. I just checked my Sony TV's apps list, not there :( I'm considering getting a Samsung SmartTV-tech BluRay player though.

ovbg installed that app AFAIK. He could possibly give more info but I think he uses an Apple solution that works more smoothly. He might be able to give more details.

Can anyone give me a tip or some help please?

I have got a DNS set up now which works for BBC iplayer, but not for itv, Channel4 or Channel 5.

I have also now registered for the free Zattoo to test it, and it is only showing me German tv channels,no English apart from CNN.

Am I doing something wrong?

I have got a DNS set up now which works for BBC iplayer, but not for itv, Channel4 or Channel 5.

I have also now registered for the free Zattoo to test it, and it is only showing me German tv channels,no English apart from CNN.

I was looking around the zattoo site and saw that it said there's a zattoo app for Samsung and LG Smart TV's. Has anyone installed it?

The Zattoo app for Samsung works fine, but to access it you need to go through the TV re-installation, setting it in Switzerland, and when you do that you lose all your UK apps such as iPlayer. You therefore need to mess around a bit to transfer the app between regional setups. EyeOnDemand explains this in detail.

You need to explain a little more about which media platform(s) you are using, and how your DNS is setup and which geo-divergance services you are using. It sounds like for some reason your geo re-location is not always working.

The Zatto app for Samsung works fine, but to access it you need to go through the TV re-installation, setting it in Switzerland, and when you do that you lose all your UK apps such as iPlayer. You therefore need to mess around a bit to transfer the app between regional setups. EyeOnDemand explains this in detail.

Thanks for that. I spotted in that guide that it doesn't work on Samsung DVD/BluRay players, only on the F series TV's :( If I was about to buy a new TV, it'd definitely be a Samsung, but unfortunately I bought a new smart TV back in 2010/2011, so the bluray option was my relatively cheap way of getting a samsung smarthub. Oh well. I'm fairly happy with my other options (roku, humax freesat box, android tablet, pc's).

Once my slimport adaptor comes, I'll be assigning my LG android tablet with a cracked screen to be a permanent TV box (with iplayer, itvplayer, 4oD, demand 5, netflix, hulu, zattoo) all running happily on it, and providing 1080p (albeit upscaled by the apps) signal to the TV. Not the most obvious choice for a TV box, but it would have been retired if it weren't for this new use case.

Just to let you know That itv and Channel 4 are thought to be moving to 2 e in the early hours of tues Morning according to www.satellites.co.uk. An up to Date List of the transferred channels can now be found on lyngsat.com.

Just for the record:

My Blueray player is a "LG BP620" (which has build in support for Zattoo), and the team "BP620+Overplay+Zattoo" works like a charm. User interface is a little bit slow, but it works.

It is also worth to mention that this Player has WiFi, so it is possible to set it up without routing a cable towards your living room (as long as Wifi-signal strength is sufficient).

Cheers

Franklan

OVBG did start a new topic but it was merged into this one. See "Topics merged by admin to avoid crossposting on almost identical topics" on page 22 of this thread.

There is a good argument for retaining both satellite and Internet solutions in the one thread, given that many people viewing by satellite and currently losing wanted channels have no idea that those same channels can be viewed over the Internet.

Satellite TV is superior in many ways, but not if reception is bad or impossible.

I think this thread should concentrate on the Satellite problem e.g. 'What size dish might give us back waht we have recently lost due to the switch-over'!

If we can build up a picture of who is getting and with what equipment and their location this will help thos who are not.

'Alternative Solutions' can eaisly be dealt with ealswhere and FYI have had much coverage over the years and are being regurgitated here!

I for one would prefer my Satellite TV back on line and this is my prime objective, I will only seek an alternative when this problem has been exhausted.

So any updates on reception and signals please post here.....

[adminclose][/adminclose] Reason: clean-up, two new topics with different titles have been created:

Astra 2F and Astra 2E - New satellites arrive

TV via the Internet as an alternative to satellite