Astra 2F and Astra 2E - New satellites arrive

815 posts in this topic

Looking on the German forums, the test signal looked to be slightly weaker than for 2D but for go live it may well be the same as 2D. Wait and see - you probably won't need to change anything.

I'm in Munich, with a 100cm dish, and get 85% signal level on my Technisat HDFS freesat box. I can't get signal quality though - perhaps the box doesn't support the 8PSK transmission mode of the test transmissions?

post-2298-13539622920884_thumb.jpg

Our Sky just turned off with a "no satellite signal" message.

I checked the signal strength which was still very good.

Restarted the Sky box & all seems well.

I'm assuming that was the moment of the switchover...

indeed, where are you and how large of a dish? And are all channels back including the free to air ones like BBC/ BBC HD?

Theres reports that in Holland a 45cm dish is recieving better than ever yet in Salzburg even a 2m dish now has nothing, not a sniff.

The signal is dropping off a cliff the further west you go.

Also folks in parts of Germany like NRW nearer the UK saying that the signal is a good deal weaker and even small showers are killing their signal.

Its all very exciting stuff and will be interesting to see what service remains in borderline places like Munich at the edge of the spillover once the dust settles after the switchover!

The signal is dropping off a cliff the further west you go.

Also folks in parts of Germany like NRW nearer the UK saying that the signal is a good deal weaker and even small showers are killing their signal.

You mean the other West?

BBC HD all woring well in FFM on a Selfsat antenna...

indeed, where are you and how large of a dish? And are all channels back including the free to air ones like BBC/ BBC HD? Theres reports that in Holland a 45cm dish is recieving better than ever yet in Salzburg even a 2m dish now has nothing, not a sniff. The signal is dropping off a cliff the further west you go. Also folks in parts of Germany like NRW nearer the UK saying that the signal is a good deal weaker and even small showers are killing their signal. Its all very exciting stuff and will be interesting to see what service remains in borderline places like Munich at the edge of the spillover once the dust settles after the switchover!

I'm in Ingolstadt with a 1m dish.

All the channels seem ok so far.

Just had a moment of panic as I saw this thread - rushed to the TV and yes - calm down - it's still there where I left it! (which was a surprise - I thought I would at least have to do a new search!)

So I can report Goettingen with a 1 meter dish gets a I think better than before reception!

So I should wait before trying to set up the new sat receiver? (So far I haven't managed to get the double-headed monster to bring in both the german and the uk going at the same time)

Ah! Will get the teenager to try that tonight, thanks Spidey ;) for that key bit of information

Wait, so will we or won't we have to reset everything or not? (Obviously not being tech savy on this front)

from http://www.astra2.org/astra2.html

The Astra 2F satellite has now entered service at 28.2° East, all frequencies from Astra 1N will be transfered to Astra 2F, no date has as yet been confirmed by SES.

Currently, only Transponder 61 (11.023 H), has moved to Astra 2F, this is the new BBC DSAT 8 transponder currently carrying two versions of BBC One HD.

If you are viewing or listening outside the UK, now is not the time to invest in any new equipment.

The BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5, currently uses the UK spotbeam on the Astra 1N satellite, this is soon to be replaced by Astra 2F. The two satellites are very similar, though the UK spotbeam on Astra 2F differs from that of Astra 1N, it has less power.

just realised this was already quoted - but appartently still applies (also contains answers to one or two questions about the change-over)

We seem to have lost a lot of our channels last night, both the BBC and ITV were out I don't know if it's the satellite or the weather on our 80/85 cm in Berlin.