I just can't seem to find... buying hard-to-track-down items

633 posts in this topic

Where can i buy russian dressing? It's a little bit complicated since it's not really a russian product, it's an american dressing that was just named like that :/ here's some info in wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_dressing

I have gone to lidl, aldi, reichelt (edeka) , rewe and even to a russian market in Stuttgarter Platy and had no luck finding it

Hey All,

As a Dazed Newbie of town, I'm trying to find the clothes horse and ironing board but It seems like nobody needs neither of them in Berlin or They both playing hide and seek with me. So, does anybody know where to buy them?

Cheers

I think I got my clothes rack at Roller Am Stichkanal across from OBI. I got a great ironing board at the second hand shop near S (1) Botanischer Garten.

Does anyone know where in Berlin to get kids English comic books?

I've got one: vegetable shortening.

I've never seen it in a German grocery store and I'm not even sure what it would be called.

I have some vegan friends to bake for and I wanted to use shortening as a substitute for butter.

I've got one: vegetable shortening.

I've never seen it in a German grocery store and I'm not even sure what it would be called.

I have some vegan friends to bake for and I wanted to use shortening as a substitute for butter.

Actually, Biskin is more for frying. What you are looking for is Palmin. It is kept in the refrigerated foods, usually with stuff like Biskin or with the butter and margarine.

I buy it at Kaufland. It's kept with the margarine (non-refrigerated) and is called Pflanzenfett. There are usually a few different kinds. It comes in a herkin' big block, like butter, only huge, and solid at room temperature. It should be fine for baking, or, at least, I've used it in pie crust. Never as "butter" though (you do realize it has a completely different consistence and taste?).

I've also gotten Planzenfett for baking pastry crusts at Norma. Not always stocked, always next to the unrefrigerated margarine like dessa says.

I would like to buy a coffee press / french press / cafetier / Pressstempelkanne / Kaffeepresse in Berlin but I don't know where. Nobody recommend IKEA please. I want to get one that is somewhat good.

If by "somewhat good", you mean "inexplicably more expensive than cheaper ones that do the same thing", visit Karstadt or Galeria Kaufhof. They're with the other overpriced kitchen crap and are often referred to as "Bodum" (a brand name).

[rant]Honestly, though, they'll all break at some point. You can get them anywhere where kitchen crap is sold, from your Turkish dime store to your home furnishings centers (such as Poco Domaene). I recently picked up one from TK Maxx with a Lucite canister for ten yoyos because I was tired of shelling out however many dozens of euro for supposedly gourmet apparatuses that use the exact same technology but for the sake of elegance are made with extremely breakable, paper-thin glass. They will all go shitty at some point, whether from incorrectly ground coffee stressing out the press til it snaps, or you break the canister while cleaning it.[/babble]

Anyway, never mind me and my babble-rant. Karstadt and Galeria are where you want to go.

Anyone know where you can buy pre-made pastry for pies. Like the stuff that comes in a block and you just roll out? preferably of the savoury variety.

Larger supermarkets have it in the refrigerated section. It's rolled up, not in a block - I've seen regular pastry (Mürbeteig), puff pastry and strudel pastry. Tante Fanny is a brand that I've seen, but there must be others as well.

Kombucha Scoby: Does any one know where I can get one for a reasonable price? I've seen someone online advertising scobies for 15 Euros a pop! I'm sorry, no one ever charges more than a dollar back home - if they charge at all * so I don't think Germans are more greedy than Americans - I'm just not seeing the reasonably priced ones. Thanks for any advice:)