I just can't seem to find... buying hard-to-track-down items

685 posts in this topic

The internet must have reduced their trade.  And in HD they used to have English videos which had no competition at the time, and brought people into the shop who would then impulse-buy pork pies and the like.   Times have changed.   Things I really miss like watercress and smoked white fish were never here anyway.   

They could be a bit salty but were personalities. Prices were such that I shopped usually only just before Christmas. Don't even need to do that now, can get it all from Amazon uk. 

41 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Things I really miss like watercress and smoked white fish were never here anyway.   

Watercress is available often in FrischeParadies (Berlin and Frankfurt at least), especially at Xmas. I have also grown it successfully in a tub on the terrace. 

The lack of smoked white fish is an ongoing personal disappointment. I will sometimes add a little smoked Saibling to a mixed fish pie. It is not so strongly smoked and is not bright orange. 

38 minutes ago, black1 said:

They could be a bit salty but were personalities. Prices were such that I shopped usually only just before Christmas. Don't even need to do that now, can get it all from Amazon uk. 

Yes. The day is not so far away when all the small shops will be gone and Amazon will be the only retailer. Watch out then all you bargain hunters!!

20 hours ago, Acton said:

Yes. The day is not so far away when all the small shops will be gone and Amazon will be the only retailer. Watch out then all you bargain hunters!!

Meh, supermarkets killed the little guy.  Amazon kills the supermarkets. Someone will kill amazon.

5 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

Someone will kill amazon.

Star Trek replicators.

7 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

Meh, supermarkets killed the little guy.  Amazon kills the supermarkets. Someone will kill amazon.

Not just the supermarkets.

I know that Ikea are scared of Amazon and Alibaba, and see them as their biggest rivals!

Broken English new store has the same people working with a new person. Seemed like slightly different range of stock, more customers. 

On 27.10.2019, 15:46:53, black1 said:

Broken English new store has the same people working with a new person. Seemed like slightly different range of stock, more customers. 

Not Dale and Robin surely!!

On 29/10/2019, 12:33:17, Acton said:

Not Dale and Robin surely!!

Popped into the new place today to pick up a Christmas pudding and inevitably ended up also buying kippers, a Fray Bentos steak & kidney pie and a couple of packets of chocolate digestives. That's Xmas sorted!

Not the cheapest but quite busy and a friendly atmosphere.

On 16/11/2019, 19:53:52, john_b said:

Popped into the new place today to pick up a Christmas pudding and inevitably ended up also buying kippers, a Fray Bentos steak & kidney pie and a couple of packets of chocolate digestives. That's Xmas sorted!

Not the cheapest but quite busy and a friendly atmosphere.

Can confirm the above assessment - pricey but friendly. And they have twiglets, which is a bonus.

@john_B did you by any chance see if they have thick cut bacon, I forgot to look (was so shocked at the price I had to shell out for Christmas crackers, next year I'll be smuggling them over!!)

11 hours ago, the returnant said:

by any chance see if they have thick cut bacon,

Dont pay their ludicrous prices for crap danish bacon that has travelled half way around the world then back again to land frozen and tastless in Berlin, get down to the sausage man.  He is expensive but the bacon is very good both in terms of taste and if you care for such things animal husbandry.

On a related topic haha how do I start a separate thread/discussion on here??

On 06/12/2019, 23:18:47, Tmacc said:

On a related topic haha how do I start a separate thread/discussion on here??

If you want to start a new post on this thread "I just can't seem to find... buying hard-to-track-down items" just post it here, the discussion on "Broken English" is not the main issue.

So I googled sausage man https://www.thesausagemanneversleeps.com/

and found that there's a shop near me that sells his stuff. Got myself some back bacon, €6 for 5 rashers, proper stuff, thick cut and all, but the taste - it's good, but not to die for. Bit sweet. If (and that's a big if) the bacon in Broken English is cheaper, then I'll stick with that.

Might try the sausages though...

He (or one of his team) is at markthalle 9 most satudays.  Theother places like Goldhahn and Samsun typically have bacon but dont always carry the full range.  I think its cheaper at Markhalle 9 too.  Oh and of course whilst its all freezable its normally sold fresh rather than frozen.

He is also the only place I know that does black pudding (yes I know about the various Blutwurst, they are completely different).  His sausages are good, but in my humble opinion the chipolata makes more sense that the Wurst der Woche which have more fun flavours (chilli and cheese etc).

I am on the search for good quality mens socks (short ones, just over the ankle length) in a certain shade of blue for a dear friend who cant go out an shop - any tips on places to look? I tried Galeria yesterday without success. Appreciate any additional places to go searching :)

Slightly strange question, but does anyone happen to have a trustworthy dictionary in which they would look up 'Ethical' for us, and give us the page number, name of the dictionary, meaning etc. - we need to include it in a paper which apparently can't include any .com type online sources.

The 'I just can't seem to find' part of this is that I can't find our compact OED to do it myself. Even though it is a massive sodding thing in a box with a microscope to read it with. So annoying.

Apologies for the pathetic request. Hoping someone can help soon, as the thing is due in ASAP.