I just can't seem to find... buying hard-to-track-down items

633 posts in this topic

Saturn offers the same as DM or Rossmann: machines where you can print out your photos. No need to buy one.

On 26/12/2018, 19:05:12, Ala me said:

Topics merged by admin
Do you know please where I can buy tarteletter (tartlets) from Berlin (check attachement below). I Denmark you can  pretty much find it in any supermarket. 

But I sent to Lidl, Netto, Edika but without luck. If there is online shopping option I'm open for that too. 

Most German supermarkets (larger better ones at least?) carry Königspasteten. Different shape, but similar idea. You usually fill them with ragout, cans of which are conveniently placed beside the shells. I've never bought either item because it seems horrid to me, but to each his own right? 

Sweet jammy tarts I can get behind though! I make butter tarts (a Canadian thing) at least once a year, and pasteis de nata are ambrosia IMO.

In bakery sections, they sometimes have empty little tart shells on offer, which I can only confirm because I bought some once years ago (in Niedersachsen, not in Berlin). But that's probably very hit and miss. If you see (store made) tarts for sale, you might ask the baker if you can buy some off him/her, if they have any... Fat chance really, but you never know. 

Grocery stores near the Danish border or online are probably your only venue for the genuine article you seek.

Ok, I figured I'd give this a shot here. Does anyone have an Atera Roofrack / Dachbox with a code 2 key? If so, would anybody be willing to lend me the key so I can mount my Dachbox in time for a trip on Wednesday? I thought about this too late, and I am unable to order it from anywhere to get it shipped in time. I've called around to several shops in Berlin, and checked on various sites, but no one can guarantee a delivery within 2 days! Thanks!

This is it: https://www.dachboxprofis.de/ersatzteil-atera-vielzahnschluessel-code-2-092102/a-1500050600/

On 25.3.2019, 11:34:46, alderhill said:

I make butter tarts (a Canadian thing) at least once a year,

I don't suppose you have a recipe you'd be willing to share using German ingredients? I miss butter tarts.

Love butter tarts- they were a sweet introduction when we lived in Canada. I like them with juicy golden sultanas added.

Here I cheat/adapt- buy ready pastry, golden syrup, if Citti run out of maple . 

Of course, they then become a bit more like English treacle tarts!

Berlin folks, yeah, I know the hype will eventually die down, but where the heck can I get my hands on this damn vegan burger thang🤪?! Seems to be permanently sold out at Lidl & Netto...

Screenshot 2019-06-21 at 09.37.49.jpg

My goodness, there's a barely suppressed sense of excitement at TT on this important subject!

The word is that they'll be available again from 4.7 at Netto, otherwise folks with a Metro wholesale card can  get them as well as some online stores. 

Guten Appetit!

5 minutes ago, john_b said:

Craving ...or crawling?

I guess they wiggle more that crawl.  The adult beetle would be more crawly, but poor babies are not allowed to grow to adulthood before being slaughtered.

buffalo worms.JPG

buffalo beetle.JPG

looking at those, all I can think of is mealworms we used to feed to our classroom lizard in gradeschool.

those things smell SO BAD - the idea of eating them, even diguised as a burger, gives me the heebie jeebies.  

crickets?  I'd eat crickets or ants or other crunchy bugs.  Provided they weren't still alive.  glazed and toasted in a pan, or even just toasted and salted, like popcorn?