I just can't seem to find... buying hard-to-track-down items

633 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, 

I've searched a bit through this thread (don't know if there's a specific search function) but haven't found what I'm looking for - does anyone know where to buy the Private Eye Magazine in Berlin? Would love to have the latest edition, I'm only over here for a few weeks, so subscription is not an option.

Been to Relay in the main station, will look at a couple of other shops, but any further hints and tips very welcome!

Thanks!

Hey everyone! I'm looking to buy shipping / packing tape for wrapping up packages to mail. In the US I'd either go to the post office or an office supply store to pick up a roll, but DHL locations don't seem to sell them and there don't seem to really be stores here like Staples or Office Depot. 

Any tips?

An Obi or similar shop would probably have the largest selection. Most supermarkets would probably have something suitable though. 

Look in the hardware store section that has the moving boxes ... they have several kinds of tape including the reddish (?) stuff that says Fragile on it.  The duct tape and other kinds are usually near plumbing or right in front of the cash register (based only on Obi, Toom and Bauhaus) .  McPaper would probably be closest to a Staples in the US but I don't remember them having decent packing tape.

Possibly many ubiquitous cheap shops in east Berlin which often sell (or practically give away might be more accurate) an absolutely phenomenal range of basic stuff and, of course, a place with huge numbers of people packing stuff to transport.  Absolute goldmines for those of us needing practical household stuff.   Even chains like Woolworths often have what you need, Tedi as well.

None of the grocery stores or One Euro-store like places in the neighborhood of my apartment had it, hence my confusion. Thanks for trying to make me feel like an idiot, though :)

Trying a Baumarkt, thanks.

1 hour ago, derwanderer said:

Trying a Baumarkt, thanks.

If you can't find it in the Baumarkt, ask for Paketband  or starkes Klebeband. The latter because just saying Klebeband might have them leading you to the dinky Scotch tape. :D

Topics merged by admin

Do you know please where I can buy tarteletter (tartlets) from Berlin (check attachement below). I Denmark you can  pretty much find it in any supermarket. 

But I sent to Lidl, Netto, Edika but without luck. If there is online shopping option I'm open for that too. 

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1695/8565/products/GESTUS_LUKSUS_TARTELETTER_grande.png?v=1513088784

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0025/1179/8390/products/image_572996a5-6898-4d38-b50f-3bb89504eab3_300x300.jpg?v=1537183906

https://mambeno.dk/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Tarteletter-med-skinke-og-aerter.jpg

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/tartlets-isolated-white-large-92137408.jpg

Does anyone know where can one find vacuum-packed (smoked) tuna slices? Since half a year, all the stores have only salmon, but I cannot find tuna at all.
Information on what is going on would also work as I am really curious.

I need to print some old fashioned photos to put into a photo album (I have the album) for a special occasion - but I have no idea where to print photos in this digital age! I am in Prenzlauerberg so some place nearby would be excellent. Any tips welcomed, thank you! :)

1 minute ago, kirakay said:

I need to print some old fashioned photos to put into a photo album (I have the album) for a special occasion - but I have no idea where to print photos in this digital age! I am in Prenzlauerberg so some place nearby would be excellent. Any tips welcomed, thank you! :)

Any Rossmann or DM will have a photo printing station at the back, for starters.

7 minutes ago, kirakay said:

thanks  @El Jeffo - do I just take a USB stick with the photos? and how long do they normally take to come back?

Yup, USB stick, memory card, or even smartphone. You can print them on the spot in a variety of sizes (I think it's up to 23x28cm, but I'm not sure).

If you need something larger, like poster-sized, it can take 1-2 weeks IIRC.

You can also use the online service from DM (I assume Rossman also have one).   This is better if you have more time and don't want to go to a store.  It will take a few days, but then you can collect them in the store your nominated.