I just can't seem to find... buying hard-to-track-down items

670 posts in this topic

@cb6dba yes they can be a bit stinky to season in the oven :(  But:  lodge pans come pre-seasoned these days, which is not the best surface, but it's an acceptable start.  I've found that simply cooking with these pre-seasoned pans for a spell gets them in pretty good shape.  

of course you'd have to stick to things like bacon in the beginning...or other greasy stuff, cooking over medium temps to prevent any sticking, and for the love of god, avoiding anything saucy or acidic til the seasoning is set.

I've heard of a lower temp seasoning technique that you do in the oven, too - akin to the instructions fraufruit linked - supposed to be less smoky/stinky.  I have not tried that yet but I do have a new comal that I might run through that process since it has no edges to speak of and I therefore cant cook anything greasy in it.  

the only other really heavy cookware I can think of is enameled cast iron (like le creuset) but I'm not sure the enamel can handle a bbq or open fire - you'd probably want to pre-heat it to avoid shocking/cracking the enamel?  Never tried it.  If you do want to try that, there are some very reasonably priced pans of this kind on amazon.  I bought a lovely pot made by Molten...I think it was about 35 euros which is *insanely* cheap.  It's a great pot and has held up very, very well in the last 5 years.

good luck!

I think that many people just oil a cast iron skillet to season it and then it is smokey. The thing is to oil it and wipe with paper towels and let it stand for a while. Then, as the website says, never scrub it vigorously with soap, etc. It will remain seasoned that way.

I am looking for high quality, high thread count cotton sheets/duvee/pillow set. I am not an expert in such items and am buying a special friend a surprise birthday gift so I cannot actually ask them some details such as what is the best quality thread count cotton sheets as they will be understandably suspicious knowing I would only be asking for one reason and that would not be on my own account :D  so, some hints on a) best quality what to ask/look for and b ) where in Berlin can I find such quality?  thank you for tips!!

Anyone got any idea where to get hold of Veri Peri sauce around here? I thought I picked up enough the last time I was in South Africa but my addiction is getting worse and I'm almost out again...

Not only Kaufland. I've seen it at Rewe, albeit for an arm and a leg.

On 1/24/2018, 7:30:36, fraufruit said:

I think that many people just oil a cast iron skillet to season it and then it is smokey. The thing is to oil it and wipe with paper towels and let it stand for a while. Then, as the website says, never scrub it vigorously with soap, etc. It will remain seasoned that way.

Actually, heat is necessary to create the partially carbonized (aka burned ;) ) slick non stick surface. A lot of the seasoning recipes are way too radical, ovens set too hot -> smoke in the house.

I have a bunch of cast iron myself. You can wipe with oil and put *upside down* (to prevent sticky oil pools) in a 140 C oven for say, 30 minutes. If it gets very smokey, you are burning off the oil, it's too hot / too long! Do in lower shorter gentler steps, repeat a few times.

You can also season on the stove top on the very lowest setting. Carefully watch for smoke, take the pan off. Oil again, repeat.

Wiping down with oil after washing without reheating only preserves (and it's necessary!), but does not really season.

18 hours ago, Akorang said:

@theGman check at  Kaufland i once saw Nandos Peri Peri sauce on their shelves but not sure if it is that hot though. Your best bet will Amazon.

I've got some Peri Peri sauce, which is OK, but not the same. Thanks anyway. I've checked on amazon (via Veri Peri FB page) but it just says unavailable. I think this one might be a bit too obscure but I thought I would throw it out there anyhow.

1 hour ago, theGman said:

I've got some Peri Peri sauce, which is OK, but not the same. Thanks anyway. I've checked on amazon (via Veri Peri FB page) but it just says unavailable. I think this one might be a bit too obscure but I thought I would throw it out there anyhow.

The question is how much is it worth to you?

9 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

The question is how much is it worth to you?

Oh, very soon I will be willing to pay up a pretty penny. But unfortunately that is still Peri peri sauce...I am looking for Veri peri sauce...this guy...

MIN_275606001_SWA.jpg.05edd6bcb9a5283c7b

On 12/02/2018, 13:15:36, theGman said:

Anyone got any idea where to get hold of Veri Peri sauce around here?

Just as a matter of interest: your profile says you're based in Munich but you're looking for this sauce in Berlin, right?

1 minute ago, john_b said:

Just as a matter of interest: your profile says you're based in Munich but you're looking for this sauce in Berlin, right?

Well bugger me, I never even noticed this thread was in the Berlin forum. Sorry, nope, I've never even been to Berlin. I'm looking in Munich or better yet, online.

2 hours ago, theGman said:

Well bugger me, I never even noticed this thread was in the Berlin forum. Sorry, nope, I've never even been to Berlin. I'm looking in Munich or better yet, online.

In that case, maybe you should repost in the Munich forum. Good luck.

a lot of us just use the "recent post" thing and don't even realise what subsection it is in, but that's a good point.

1 hour ago, john_b said:

In that case, maybe you should repost in the Munich forum. Good luck.

Nah, Munich people are all lazy fuckers, and they only eat food extra mild*. I reckon you sprightly Berliners are still my best bet.

* True story, there was one German in our group that, when asked how spicy he would like his curry, said "so wenig wie möglich".

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

Maybe try some of these shops.

Thanks FF, good shout, I'll check out the locations.

Hi everyone! Does anyone know of a shop here in Berlin that stock the brand Dr. Organic? Holla at your girl, I'd be most grateful!

On the very small chance anyone is looking for Alkoholfreie weiße.. 

Maisel's is about the best one I have found so far.. 

Doesn't Taste so much of hopps.. ?