I just can't seem to find... buying hard-to-track-down items

633 posts in this topic

look for schwarzer Tee or Klassik Tee or Traditional Tee.

Germans don't normally add milk so images are not what you'd expect.

post-207241-13572123700594.jpg

Black tea can be found in every supermarket inc Lidi who stock three kinds of black tea (above). Weather it's worth drinking is another question.

Everyone I know, including me, brings all our tea from the UK. Bags full.

Green tea is in the Asian supermarkets. But I bring this from China Town London, as I'm often there.

There's quite a few really good tea shops around, and I agree that you can't find nice stuff in supermarkets. There's one at Gräfestr.74 in Kreuzberg, another at Goethestr.17 in Charlottenburg, and another at Burgherrenstr.11 near Tempelhof. Plus there's the Teegeschwender chain. There the ones I've been in and have huge selections of loose tea of all kinds of good quality.

Can you recommend any good place to buy tea in Berlin?

What I usually come across in supermarkets are lots of herbal teas (especially fennel and peppermint - something to do with German food perhaps? ), but it's really difficult to find a shop with a good selection of black and green tea, different kinds, different flavours etc.

It's even difficult to find something like Lipton, Dilmah or Irving flavoured black tea here, generally everything except herbs, Rooibos and fruit tea (which is just fruit, without any black or green tea in them) is hard to find.

I went to a few tea shops but they were selling the same things I saw in supermarkets, just more of them.

If I don't go to a normal tea shop (tee laden), I find that it is good to go to Turkish stores for black tea and as the other poster suggested Asian stores for green tea. I am not too familiar with the tea shops in Berlin, but there are 4 TeeGschwendner in Berlin. They have 100s of kinds of tea. If you look at the shop if you don't want just pure tea (i.e. with a flavour, like Earl Grey) then you have to look under the "Aroma-Edition" in the online shop to see what they have.

I just got back from a small Edeka supermarket and counted 11 types of black tea over five brands, and 2 pure green teas.

If there is a specific tea you are after, try amazon de, example: Yorkshire Tea. You can also get it shipped from amazon uk.. Cheaper than the so called British shops around Berlin.

I just got back from a small Edeka supermarket and counted 11 types of black tea over five brands, and 2 pure green teas.

I've tried many of the brands sold in supermarkets and the only one that I sort of like is Meßmer Darjeeling.

Black tea can be found in every supermarket ... Weather it's worth drinking is another question. Everyone I know, including me, brings all our tea from the UK. Bags full.

I've tried many of the brands sold in supermarkets and the only one that I sort of like is Meßmer Darjeeling.

I also bring Yorkshire tea from the UK or order it online. You can get Lipton and some other acceptable black teas (in addition to the green teas) at the Asian and Indian supermarkets. Don't waste your time with any black tea they sell at the regular supermarkets--even the "fancy" stuff is pretty tasteless. I've been disappointed so many times.

Bohea Teehandlung in the Niederbarnimstraße rocks my socks. My current favorites from them are black Orange, walnut (green), Wild Flowers (green) Gen Mai Cha and of course Dragon Pearls. The walnut has walnuts in it (I eat them). The Wild Flowers has flowers in it (amazing colors and the smell is divine). They are dirt cheap and know their ish. Go.

Does anyone know where I can find disposable latex gloves, or vinyl gloves? I went to an apotheke and they had no idea what I was talking about

Our local Edeka and Netto have boxes of them so I assume yours would too. Look for Einweghandschuhe/Einmalhandschuhe in boxes of 100 either in the cleaning product section or where the freezer and garbage bags are - can't remember exactly, it's been a while since I bought any.

I see that Rossmann also has them online so they would carry them in their stores as well.

Do you know where I could find a shop specialized in handicraft materials (and thinking more specifically of embroidery/cross-stitching)?

I've been looking on Google, but most of the things I found seemed to be specialized in sewing materials or in painting craft. I found a seemingly more generalized shop next to Alexa as well, but haven't been there yet so I'm not sure of it. Maybe you do have some addresses in mind? :)

EDIT: Nevermind, I might have found something while looking for something else!

Anybody been there? http://www.naehmaschine-berlin.de/geschaeft.html >> seems like a more generalized shop as well, I will have a look.

This was always a favourite shop of mine but haven't been there in a longtime located under the Joachim-Tiburtius-Brücke in Schloßstraße Steglitz and they have a sewing/embroidery section from memory.

Werken Spielen Schenken

Yes, Werken Spielen Schenken has an embroidery section - I was there just last Saturday. It also has a wider range of colors than many of the other places.

Karstadt also has a section with embroidery floss, next to the section with wool and cloth (at least in the three I've visited). Kaufhof also has it, or at least it did a couple of years ago, when I was there last.

Idee next to Kadewe used to have a wide range of embroidery floss. The availability has since dwindled dramatically, to only Rico brand. But I think they still carry Aida cloth, if you find that useful.

If you go through a lot of embroidery floss, buying it online makes the most sense. A skein of floss from America costs between a quarter to a third of the cost here (about a quarter of the cost if you buy DMC, about a third of the cost if buying Anchor, which is all that is easily available here in Berlin anyway.) Even taking shipping costs into account, the price difference is still significant (not to mention ridiculous when you consider that DMC and Anchor are both produced in Europe in the first place!)

Does anyone know where I can find disposable latex gloves, or vinyl gloves? I went to an apotheke and they had no idea what I was talking about

because medical uses gloves are made from nitrile

It depends what you need the gloves for - the suggestion of cleaning gloves isn't good for medical uses, but fine most other uses I can imagine.

The gloves from Rossmann are made of nitril but I believe the ones I got at Netto are latex. Don't have the package any more. I use them for food preparation.

I bought a box of 10 handschuhe latex powdered gloves, but can't remember where... Hit, DM, Kaufland probably.

Universal size made by Leifheit. . I would look around the cleaning supplies area. They are in a small bluish box that hangs on a pole.

Good luck.

:

My husband just came home with a box of 100 gloves from Aldi, apparently they're on special this week.

They're made of nitril and it says they're good for medical and cosmetic use and for handling food.

Thanks for all your answers, I'll try to find some of the tea shops you mentioned. So far I've only come across shops that were selling one hundred kinds of Rooibos and Fenchel ;)

Edeka has some black tea, but I don't mean pure black tea - as far as black tea is concerned, I usually drink EarlGrey (this one's easy to find though) and flavoured black teas, such as Lipton Forest Fruit or Dilmah lychee black tea etc.

For green tea I go to Asian supermarkets, at least they never fail me ;) And I stock up on tea whenever I visit home or travel anywhere outside Germany.