I just can't seem to find... buying hard-to-track-down items

683 posts in this topic

ok I just discovered my Aussie house guest (who has now departed onwards to other adventures!) used up my precious stash of Vegemite !! :wacko: Most Aussies will know this is a serious matter, not to be made jokes about :P Vegemite is true comfort food, especially if lathered thickly upon fresh buttered bread or toast!!   so... I wondered if any fellow Aussies (or random others who like vegemite?! a rare breed as I dont know many non Aussies who do!) can direct me where to find some hopefully in Prenzlauerberg as I would rather not have to travel too far in this grey winter time!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No need to travel anywhere. You can buy Vegemite on ebay.de and pay for that with PayPal. Consider the delivery to your doorstep a reason to open that jar and to celebrate!

 

Today's ebay.de search for Vegemite came up with a variety of prices and postage costs but I would think any jar shipped from within Germany would come to you within a few days:

https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XVegemite.TRS0&_nkw=Vegemite&_sacat=0

Some Vegemite listed here comes from the UK, no problem. I buy stuff from the UK and never had any problems. But you can limit your search to just within Germany on the left, click the button 'Deutschland.' That gives you just 8 jars to choose from. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, kirakay said:

ok I just discovered my Aussie house guest (who has now departed onwards to other adventures!) used up my precious stash of Vegemite !! :wacko: Most Aussies will know this is a serious matter, not to be made jokes about :P Vegemite is true comfort food, especially if lathered thickly upon fresh buttered bread or toast!!   so... I wondered if any fellow Aussies (or random others who like vegemite?! a rare breed as I dont know many non Aussies who do!) can direct me where to find some hopefully in Prenzlauerberg as I would rather not have to travel too far in this grey winter time!

 

Or Amazon:

https://www.amazon.de/s/s/ref=sr_nr_p_76_0?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Avegemite%2Cp_76%3A419122031&keywords=vegemite&ie=UTF8&qid=1516549628&rnid=419121031

 

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ooch Amazon is really expensive, I think I will go the eBay way ... thanks for the tips I did not think it would be available online?! Must be enough Aussie expats about that warrants such industry!!  well I benefit I guess :P There used to be an Aussie shop nearby the Aussie embassy that moved or closed - anyone know about that by chance?

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, kirakay said:

ooch Amazon is really expensive, I think I will go the eBay way ... thanks for the tips I did not think it would be available online?! Must be enough Aussie expats about that warrants such industry!!  well I benefit I guess :P There used to be an Aussie shop nearby the Aussie embassy that moved or closed - anyone know about that by chance?

 

Here's what you need! : http://www.australiashop.com/ location:

Neue Grünstrasse 9 in Berlin-Mitte. Phone: 030-9700 5251 Fax even: 030-9700 5232 Open: Monday to Friday 11-19 Saturday 11-15. 

Here's a Google Map to orient you, even via bus and train: https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Neue+Gr%C3%BCnstra%C3%9Fe+9,+10179+Berlin/Prenzlauer+Berg,+Berlin/@52.5250849,13.4035944,14z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x47a84e28f5397519:0x1d4d9c4263e6123c!2m2!1d13.4049317!2d52.5090628!1m5!1m1!1s0x47a84e082e42658b:0x52120465b5fabf0!2m2!1d13.44009!2d52.54114!5i1?hl=de

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kirakay said:

@cybil awesome!!  are you just an IT legend or a fellow vegemite comfort lover?!  thanks heaps for your help!  :D

 

Glad to help! Though not an IT legend, I'm a librarian (my career in America) but you wouldn't know it if you saw me on the job here in Germany (fast food, entry level, messing up your order, for years and years now). Sounds like the stuff for a new Marvel comic character: Info Woman.  'So you think I'm a real dummy? I know better!' POW!

 

I haven't had a bite of Vegemite since the 1970s. It's time to try it again!

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@cybil I would guess if you haven't been drawn to eat vegemite since the 70s it is unlikely you will have fallen in love with it in the meantime!  If you buy some and decide er ah yuk! I can always take it over :P   I do however love your new Marvel comic character idea - yay go InfoWoman - the new power in the universe bringing clarity and ease to all SuperHumans who have forgotten where or cant find .... (just fill in the blank!) :D

 

@RedMidge I have as a (POOR!!!) substitute at present a jar of marmite as I find that at my local Asia store but everytime I have it I long for the comfort of tangy vegemite!!

 

I actually take from here in Germany something that I personally consider disgustingly horrible called Vitam-R that I pack and take with me to Australia for my German friend there, who hates vegemite (&marmite) - unfortunately she does not return the visit to me here and although I usually bring a good stash back from Oz with me each trip I have had too many fellow Aussies visiting and discovering my stash :huh: so time to find and use (thank you guys!) the local resources to top up my stash until my next visit down under :D

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@kirakay  When I lived in Australia, I tried Vegemite-  not  my thing! And could not find Marmite easily. Interesting to read the history of both, and how  Oz, UK and South Africa are the last bastions of this nutritious, tasty treat. ( The  original yeast spread was originally  invented/produced in Germany!)

Happy toasting!!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, RedMidge said:

@kirakay  When I lived in Australia, I tried Vegemite-  not  my thing! And could not find Marmite easily. Interesting to read the history of both, and how  Oz, UK and South Africa are the last bastions of this nutritious, tasty treat. ( The  original yeast spread was originally  invented/produced in Germany!)

Happy toasting!!

 

18 hours ago, RedMidge said:

 Don't forget New Zealand. I remember when the marmite factory in Christchurch had to close due to the earthquake! It was considered to be a national crisis. Personally I am a Vegemite fan!

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want a heavy based steel pan I can sue on the hob and outside on the grill/fire pit.

 

All I seem to be able to find is cast iron, even if the name includes 'steel', the description says 'case iron'...

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@cb6bda I think you mean 'cast iron.'

 

This is a very heavy, black iron pan. Really common to find in a camping store in America. What about looking at some online camping stores, or, well, back to Ebay.de and Amazon.de? The words you need for your search are 'Eisenfanne' or you can also use 'Gusseisenpfanne.' Need a lid? That's a 'Deckel.' Good luck!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cb6dba said:

All I seem to be able to find is cast iron

 

So are you looking for stainless steel then? That will be Edelstahl.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cb6dba said:

I want a heavy based steel pan I can sue on the hob and outside on the grill/fire pit.

 

Like this ones (in various sizes)?

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a carbon steel pan and finally gave up on seasoning it.

 

cast iron is no problem to season, but this carbon steel stuff was hell.  Just a mess so I tossed it.

 

And yes, most stainless steel pans worth their salt could handle the grill as well but they are likely to look awful after a couple rounds of that, and what's the point?  

 

I'd go cast iron.  Lodge all the way.

 

ETA:  I also found my standard weight carbon steel pan a bit thin.  I'd be concerned they'd heat way too quickly, and just get way too hot in grilling/open fire situation but no experience with that directly.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is why I like TT..We are  friendly helpful bunch.

 

 

15 hours ago, fraufruit said:

 

So are you looking for stainless steel then? That will be Edelstahl.

Also tried looking for that... :-(

15 hours ago, someonesdaughter said:

 

Like this ones (in various sizes)?

 

 

That is the same make as one I found on amazon, as I say, the description said  cast iron (in German). 

15 hours ago, snowingagain said:

You can get carbon steel pans here too.  Not the same as cast iron.  Kohlenstoffstahl pfanne.

 

Pros and cons of different pans:

 

https://pfannenhelden.de/pfannen-material/

Cheers, I'll check that site out.

15 hours ago, lisa13 said:

I had a carbon steel pan and finally gave up on seasoning it.

 

cast iron is no problem to season, but this carbon steel stuff was hell.  Just a mess so I tossed it.

 

And yes, most stainless steel pans worth their salt could handle the grill as well but they are likely to look awful after a couple rounds of that, and what's the point?  

 

I'd go cast iron.  Lodge all the way.

 

ETA:  I also found my standard weight carbon steel pan a bit thin.  I'd be concerned they'd heat way too quickly, and just get way too hot in grilling/open fire situation but no experience with that directly.

The problem with cast iron (for me at least)  is that seasoning it causes a lot of smoke. This stinks the kitchen out and as my daughter has some kind of 'do not close any doors ever' setting, it would just stink the flat out.

The only time I can season it is when we are doing the fire thing in the garden, if I am cooking with it, that means I have to clean up and season it  again after we finish eating. This is usually when it is going dark.

I am working off the assumption that seasoning is rubbing some kind of cooking/veg oil and the heating the pan up until the thing smokes.

I am open to advice on other ways to manage this :-)

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now