I just can't seem to find... buying hard-to-track-down items

683 posts in this topic

Searching for mini taco bowls or mini tortilla bowls - just the shells. 

They should be about the size of a small cupcake. 

Thanks in advance.  

I am looking for an iron skillet to buy - for cooking chapati & naan breads - I have looked in a couple of places but can seem to find any. There is all the the special coated this and thats - but that is not what I want, they don't really cook as well the Indian breads :huh:  Good old cast iron flat skillet seems a rare item - or - it could be that I am blind and looking in the wrong places!!  any tips welcomed!  thanks in advance :D

640x960.jpg

For a rather lightweight version of this kind of pan, I usually check out outdoor stores.  For example, this one at Camp4 near Alex might be what you're looking for.  Pan

2 minutes ago, chooyo said:

For a rather lightweight version of this kind of pan

Durchmesser: 30 cm

Gewicht: 3.7 kg

Lightweight !

Hello all!

I've been in Berlin since October but am still very much learning my way around. Part of the hangup is that I still don't speak the language well at all. My wife is German and she helps me out a lot but she hates research - which leads me to my question. We (I am) are researching getting guinea pigs (a pair) and doing a DIY C&C cage for our (very) small apartment. We pretty much have to do a DIY cage because the space requirements for 2 pigs is a lot larger than you would think and so it has to be fully customizable in order to fit in the space. To build this cage I need to get a rather large sheet of coroplast, correx, corrugated plastic - different names for the same thing. I have found the equivalent word in German but I am basically stuck at a dead end with that because searching at places like BauHaus and OBI brings up nothing or nothing like what I need. I can also find it on eBay but my goodness the shipping is crazy expensive since it all comes from the states. Also found some UK sites that are a little more promising but... I would much rather buy local. Any suggestions? Experience? Well wishes? Get a lifes? Ideas? Driving me mad even though we aren't looking to adopt for at least another month or so. But I am all about the research and knowledge beforehand so I would appreciate any help at all.

Thanks so much everyone!

Kristin. 

Note: I know that sign shops could possibly sell the sizes I need, and I am willing to check them out as well, but since I am still mostly English speaking only at this point and my wife is relatively busy, it would be really difficult to track down a place that would be willing to sell to us. I don't mind calling around, and neither does she, but if anyone has had any luck with a  specific shop that would be super helpful. The German language legwork is the problem. The rest of it I am more than willing to work on. Also, in case anyone is wondering what this looks like and the appx size I would need, see attached picture. Danke! ~K

candc cavy cage.jpg

plastic sheet.jpg

Edit: I am in the Wimersdorf/Charlottenburg area

Great to hear that you are getting more than one GP.  So many are solo and live in terribly small enclosures. 

I don't know which German word you've found for searches though how about Hohlkammerplatten...roughly translates as hollow cell sheets. Amazon.de is usually my favorite to try to find the right search criteria as you can usually enter the English word and the appropriate item will come up. Their searches are also good as they recommend other items that are similar.  I guess you don't  need greenhouse roof type thickness as it wouldn't be very flexible....how about this search, https://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?__mk_de_DE=Ã%C2%83Â%C2%85MÃ%C2%83Â%C2%85Ã%C2%85Â%C2%BDÃ%C2%83Â%C2%95Ã%C2%83Â%C2%91&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Hohlkammerplatten&language=de_DE. I'd guess that 4-6mm thickness might be suitable?

You must also be able to find this on eBay. 

You can also change to English under the search function. I always check to make sure the seller is in Germany. We've not had very good experiences from Far East sellers. 

Good luck.  I'd love to see the finished cage. 

3 hours ago, Geminigyrl said:

To build this cage I need to get a rather large sheet of coroplast, correx, corrugated plastic - different names for the same thing.

Architects sometimes have to  build models of houses (to convince clients). So, a shop for "Architekturzubehör / Modellbau" might be the right place for your demand.

One example (incl. Store in Berlin) is this: https://www.modulor.de/

This would be one of the products they (cut to your demand and) sell: https://www.modulor.de/polypropylen-stegplatte-transluzent.html

@franklan I did check that website, but I couldn't find anything at the time. I never thought of the use for it in architecture models so never thought to search that. Excellent. That second link is exactly what I needed! Thank you so much and my future guinea pigs thank you as well! You rock.

Kristin.

The supermarket cartels thread revoked my memories of once asking about increasing prices of chocolate with nuts, which was obviously caused by decreasing world's nut supply, and it occurred to me I've never noticed hazelnuts being sold here without the mix of other nuts. Been to Netto, Lidl, Edeka, Rewe. Do other supermarkets currently carry them? (Whole, preferably peeled and roasted).

@HerrRing as mentioned by easytodraw look for Seeburger as they do exist. You won't find them normally with Crisps and salted nuts but they should be in the baking isle or near to the fruit and veg with the dried food stuff.

Anyone know where to get a German language Tea Towel calendar that isn't old fashioned looking? Etsy has some updated, more contemporary ones but they all seem to be in English. Thank you!

36 minutes ago, Trulata said:

Anyone know where to get a German language Tea Towel calendar that isn't old fashioned looking? Etsy has some updated, more contemporary ones but they all seem to be in English. Thank you!

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/stoffkalender-textilkalender-2018-45x65cm-neu/742621538-87-3470

However, "Tea Towel calendar" and "isn't old fashioned looking" goes together like horse and courage, I'm afraid... 

Even though they're in season, couldn't find brussels sprouts (Rosenkohl) at the Maybachufer market or in Neukauf today - any sightings in Neukölln?

It is Xmas, after all!

john! Fly over to Crete, take a taxi for c. 120 euros to  Lidl at Agios Nikolaus and then -disappointed - walk to the British Shop about 100 yards down the road..and then find out I took the last pack today but talk to the lady in the shop - she´s helpful...;)

(not sure about the flight costs back to Berlin, though...the problem is the stop over at Athens Airport..no Brussel sprouts there, either, last time I looked..unhelpful buggers...)

Well having spent a glorious two and a half weeks on Crete last summer, I'm sorely tempted...but I just heard that they are available in Lidl, albeit of questionable quality...

Xmas is saved!