I just can't seem to find... buying hard-to-track-down items

649 posts in this topic

Thanks Westvan! Will have a look now.

Do you know if German vanilla pudding powder has the same crazy yellow colour?

I think the German stuff is paler but you could always add a bit of yellow food colouring to make it scarier.

cooking stuff

Just came across this shop the other day. They have a lot of KitchenAid-stuff.

The crazy yellow colour is probably Betacarotin.

I just happen to have a sample of pudding powders right here (laptop in the kitchen). :D

Bird's uses annatto as a colouring agent. Dr. Oetker uses beta carotene and the Netto house brand uses norbixin (which seems to be an annatto extract) and riboflavin.

...Still need someone to teach me how to make a decent pumpkin pie - some weeks ago I've tried to make some from scratch and it was such an epic fail...

Hey @._., you might try this recipe. It is quite good, and with the exception of having to substitute the 1 cup of light brown sugar with 1 cup of regular sugar and one tablespoon of molasses, all of the ingredients are readily available in Germany. Molasses is available at any Reformhaus (look for Melasse). I would offer you my ready-made recipe with weight conversions, but it has been packed and is on its way back to the U.S. The pie is delicious and spicy. Obviously, you can replace the gingersnap crust with a regular pie crust, but I prefer it with the gingersnaps.

hey

Thanks for the colour tips! I'm using it to make burger buns more golden, rather than making custard powder (strange I know!)

Will look at some packets in Kaisers and see if I can find one with annatto

Second question -

Anyone know a German equivalent to Frenchies mustard? Also needed for it's vibrant colour but this time as mustard and not as a strange ingredient ;-)

Bautz'ner Senf is probably your closest bet. Most grocery stores have it in three degrees of spiciness, with the blue-lidded one being "middle" mild. The "spicier" one with the red-orange lid is what we usually because it tastes awesome; it also has that oranger-than-orange color you might be looking for. If you're making deviled eggs I'd go with that one unless your guests really can't take even the tiniest bit of spice.

post-40039-13552557554395.jpg

Hey folks

I need some birds custard powder (I know the stuff is awful and fake)

Does anyone know where I can buy it? Preferably in bulk?

Cheers

Real,- also sells Birds (at least they do in the English section at their Neukölln store).

Bautz'ner Senf is probably your closest bet. jpg]

This one does taste good indeed but in terms of spiciness it doesn't even come close to a French Dijon mustard. A German Dijon-style mustard is Löwensenf. You can find it in tubes at Rewe stores. They also sell imported French mustard (I think the brand is called "Maille").

Thanks for your answer, but, of course, I was hoping that someone may have seen collards. I have bought kale. I can't remember if I've seen it fresh, but I have bought it in glass jars, although I'd still like collards. If they are not to be found, then it's not the end of the world.

Saw big bags of fresh kale at Kaiser's today (in this case the one on Bergmannstrasse). :)

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

I would like to buy some nice photos of Berlin - preferably taken from the air, of the entire city's skyline. I'd like to give the photo to my grandparents (who live in the USA) because I want to give them something that will remind them of me. Does anyone know of good, moderately priced shops that sell this kind of photo? Or, if not a shop then an outdoor market where I can find something?

Thanks.

I wouldn't really say Berlin has an "entire" skyline to speak of, really. If your grandparents are into maps (I know, it's a long shot, but I adore maps myself) you could get them a nice map or perhaps even one that tells a bit about the city's history. The Schropp store is also just a cool place to have a bit of a gander and has a bigger selection of unique items that aren't listed in the online shop.

Other than that, unless you want the gift to start in the hundreds of Euro, I'd start pounding the pavement by trawling through some of the gift shops on Friedrichstraße, particularly around Checkpoint Charlie. Alexanderplatz also has a couple of shops in the Karl-Liebknechtstraße that might have something.

I would like to buy some nice photos of Berlin - preferably taken from the air, of the entire city's skyline. I'd like to give the photo to my grandparents (who live in the USA) because I want to give them something that will remind them of me.

Different items with the Berlin skyline.

Would you mind if it was printed on canvas?

post-24869-13554967087743.jpg

Or if it was a poster?

Available from size 40cm x 20cm.

post-24869-13554970675314.jpg

Does anyone know where to buy live acidophilus other than online here in Berlin? also looking for Milk Thistle and other herbs in capsules or teas. Thank you!

Can you recommend any good place to buy tea in Berlin?

What I usually come across in supermarkets are lots of herbal teas (especially fennel and peppermint - something to do with German food perhaps? :D), but it's really difficult to find a shop with a good selection of black and green tea, different kinds, different flavours etc.

It's even difficult to find something like Lipton, Dilmah or Irving flavoured black tea here, generally everything except herbs, Rooibos and fruit tea (which is just fruit, without any black or green tea in them) is hard to find.

I went to a few tea shops but they were selling the same things I saw in supermarkets, just more of them.