Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Work, study, and getting settled

3 posts in this topic

Hi there, a fine greeting to all of you!

I'm new to both these forums, and to life in Germany, let alone Europe. My wife started a contract here in June, and I came to live with her in September. It took us a while to find an apartment, but we secured one last month. I've since picked up my identification card, and familiarized myself with the area.

I would like to ask for some advice regarding work & study in the area, and figured this would be the right forum to ask as it is held in high regards by many Expats I've spoken to.

Basically, my situation is that I'm looking for work, no career work, but something menial to at least pass 4-5 hours of the day, and earn some money for expenses on the side. I don't speak very much German at all, and that has been a bit of a setback so far.

I'm also curious if there are any Community Colleges in the area with courses taught in English, not university, but something to earn a few credits & maybe a certificate or two. We're leaving before the next school year, so I just want a nice semester for study.

Some conversation is always nice as well, seeing as I have, well... 3 friends in Germany, 2 live in Nürnberg, and one lives in Münich.

If you were to ask me 5 years ago, I would've never guessed I would eventually leave the US, let alone, live in Germany. In any case, I look forward to making some friends here, and hopefully sorting out my abundantly open schedule in the process.

Thanks! :)

Basically, my situation is that I'm looking for work, no career work, but something menial to at least pass 4-5 hours of the day, and earn some money for expenses on the side. I don't speak very much German at all, and that has been a bit of a setback so far.

Do you already have an open work permit (Beschäftigung erlaubt/Erwerbstätigkeit gestattet)? You won't be able to obtain a work permit for an unskilled position.

If you already have an open work permit, 2B_orNot2B recently wrote an excellent post in another thread (just change the city in the search function).

I'm also curious if there are any Community Colleges in the area with courses taught in English, not university, but something to earn a few credits & maybe a certificate or two. We're leaving before the next school year, so I just want a nice semester for study.

Germany's closest equivalent would be Volkshochschulen (VHS), which offer a wide variety of courses, however, you probably won't find anything in English and you can't earn college credits (although some courses lead to certificates).

Hi there, a fine greeting to all of you!

I'm new to both these forums, and to life in Germany, let alone Europe. My wife started a contract here in June, and I came to live with her in September. It took us a while to find an apartment, but we secured one last month. I've since picked up my identification card, and familiarized myself with the area.

I would like to ask for some advice regarding work & study in the area, and figured this would be the right forum to ask as it is held in high regards by many Expats I've spoken to.

Some conversation is always nice as well, seeing as I have, well... 3 friends in Germany, 2 live in Nürnberg, and one lives in Münich.

If you were to ask me 5 years ago, I would've never guessed I would eventually leave the US, let alone, live in Germany. In any case, I look forward to making some friends here, and hopefully sorting out my abundantly open schedule in the process.

Thanks!

Welcome to Germany but especially to Toytown! I can´t help you ( except to recommend you digest Engelchen´s post carefully - always read Engelchen´s posts) But I hope you do well. That was a lovely introduction about yourself - keep reading the threads here and put in your key words about life here top right on the search function - it´s mostly there ( not all..but getting close! )

Best wishes