Power outage in Munich, 15.Nov.2012

76 posts in this topic

According to the radio it was the worst power cut in Munich for 20 years.

It was probably caused by Marders chewing through a cable somewhere.

post-4342-13529904017992.jpg

According to the radio it was the worst power cut in Munich for 20 years.

It was probably caused by Marders chewing through a cable somewhere.

post-4342-13529904017992.jpg

Failing iguanas, which I realise are thin on the ground on these parts, I'll definitely settle for that ;)

I actually think it's probably not a bad thing for a slight power outage to hit every once in a while (5 or 10 years or so) it reminds us all to check for candles and batteries, and gives us things to reminisce about when the power goes off the next time. I saw a lot of "when I was a kid and the power went off" on facebook this morning. :lol:

The only thing that freaked me out about the whole thing was that I watched the first episode of Revolution* last night. :rolleyes:

* an unknown phenomenon disables electricity on the planet and effectively all devices powered by it. Ranging from computers and electronics to car engines, jet engines. People were forced to adapt to a world without functioning technology.

Lets ask New Yorkers what a real power outage is...

Yeah, maybe you should! An hour or two? Or even less? Please! :lol:

I am SOOOO glad I slept through the whole thing this morning because I just got back from visiting my family on Long Island and we were without power for 10 entire days. I still feel somewhat traumatized from the whole thing!

I happened to have had the great idea to fly home and vote in person for once and lo and behold I managed to pick out the hurricane week. The first 3 days were like camping, kind of fun and not too bad. But after that we just wanted it to end. Besides electricity, we had no heat or hot water either and no telephone as well. Of course, internet and TV were out of the question. The cell phone networks weren´t working properly and we had to go to the county offices just to charge our cell phones. We boiled water so we could take sponge baths, since real showers weren´t possible.

We had a battery powered radio but the stations were hardly doing any news coverage. It was hard to get any information at all. It was impossible to buy more candles since they were sold out everywhere and batteries were pretty much gone, too. Generators were sold out as well.

Then the temperatures dropped and we had to boil water constantly on the gas-powered stove just to have some source of heat. Without the water boiling, it was around 50°F in the house. It got so that it was hard to sleep without freezing even with 3 sweaters and 5 blankets.

To make it even better, a gas shortage hit Long Island because so many gas stations were without power. People were waiting on line for 3 - 4 hours or even longer just to get gas at the stations that were working! It was unbelievable. A lot of times the gas stations ran out of fuel before you even got to the pumps. Without gas, we had no way to leave the freezing cold, dark house and just go somewhere warm. It was really horrible. The only thing that made it bearable was that about half a million other people on Long Island were in the same situation = no power.

The night before I was supposed to fly back to Munich, the power finally came back on! It was an exhilarating feeling! But I had trouble sleeping that night because I kept waking up and turning on the lamp to see if the power was still there.

So I am really glad I missed this one in Munich because I´ve had enough of no power to last for quite a while, thank you very much! :P

Do we know why yet?

All I could think of was that this is a taste of what's to come thanks to Germany's new, very short-sighted nuclear energy policy.

Something about a short in a line near Ismaning, leading to a couple of transformer problems in Bogenhausen. Nothing to do with a lack of nuclear power.

What is the fate of passengers on their way to the airport? They would be surely delayed, will the flight operators wait or accommodate the delayed passengers on other flights? Will the airport itself function? Did the outage extend that far out?

Well that was me - I got to Hirschgarten just as the power went. All S-Bahns were stopped. S-Bahn Muenchen were not big on announcements either.

The predicted 18 min delay to the S1 wasn't ticking down, so I ended up getting a taxi. Because I live in Neuhausen, I knew that if I walked back along the bridge towards the sorting office I'd likely get a cab after they did a mail drop and that's what happened, I hailed one in the street.

Once past Schwabing Nord there wasn't any jams, so I made my flight. The Airport Bus was very full when I saw it though.

No issues at the airport either, they also have generators just in case.

a couple of transformer problems in Bogenhausen.

Fittingly enough on the Elektrastraße. :D

The stupid 10 minute outage we had seems to have blown out the over-the-power-line internet thingy we have from the office to the living room HTPC.

No Netflix last night.

The traffic lights on Schleissheimer were out all day, though. I enjoyed watching the jaywalkers as the police couldn't stop directing traffic to catch them.

Idiots. (Jaywalkers that is.)