What's your Thanksgiving menu this year?

98 posts in this topic

- Cranberry sauce (first time so cannot say how it will turn up)

I don't know what the proper cranberry:liquid:sugar ratio is, but my mom makes her with grated orange rind and rosemary in it and its always amazing

(I was going to merge this reply with the previous, but apparently I cannot delete this post... sorry)

Bavarian fast food: Pig knuckle, cole slaw, pretzel, Weißbier

post-4788-13856686644984.jpg

But we had Veuve Cliquot for dessert to celebrate a week of decorating (including the prep days).

post-4788-13856687131876.jpg

expecting 8-10 friends and family on Saturday...

6,6Kg brined bird w/ standard bread stuffing

mashed ´taters

garlic bacon almond green beans

creamed corn

biscuits

corn bread

pumpkin pie

apple pie

pecan pie

lots of beer and wine....

Pig knuckle,

I don't think I've ever had that. It sounds disgusting, and like something I'd like very much.

You two look great, btw!

Well... The turkey ended up cooking way to fast but was still ok. As expected I now have leftovers for an army. On a bright note I tried this extremely easy recipe and it was a big success! Very tasty, ok sweet but very good

I don't think I've ever had that. It sounds disgusting, and like something I'd like very much.

You two look great, btw!

Schweinshax, honey.

Thank you, we did have a shower after painting.

Today's Thanksgiving Countdown is running without a hitch!

carrots - check

green beans - check

cornbread - check

veggie starters - check

stuffing - check

sweet potatoes - check

cranberry sauce - check

mashed potatoes - check

vacuumed the place - check

Bird's in the oven, gonna shut down the PCs soon.

I ran out oven space (the bird has 37 pounds!) for the stuffing, so I wrapped it in aluminum foil and popped it on the gas grill outside set to low. Never had barbecued stuffing before :D.

T -2 hours!

Our menu went really well. The only recipe I hadn't done before was the green bean one, but it was really good too. There were tons of leftovers as usual but that is part of the nice part of Thanksgiving.

There were tons of leftovers as usual but that is part of the nice part of Thanksgiving.

I found the opposite. There was only the four of us this year, so I only made a 2 Kg. bird. It was enough for lunch, open-faced sandwiches for dinner (well for me and my son, wifey refuses to try it, so girlie refuses, too) and for me to eat the last remaining bits the next day, just so it wouldn't go to waste, while the rest of the family had ribs and knödel.

When I left last night, all that was left over was a bit of cranberry sauce, a shitload of mashed potatoes (I had to go overboard somewhere :P ), and a bit of the 3 bean salad.

No eating dried out bird for a friggin' week. :)

I actually didn't do too bad with leftovers. Sadly, my favorites (Stuffing and Sweet potatoes) were finished off and don't have any left. But we still have a ton of rolls and turkey which is nice with homemade Cranberry sauce for lunch for a few days. We had an 8 kilo bird for 13 people, so fortunately they finished off quite a bit!

Working on turkey soup right now, and having a turkey/cheddar cheese grilled sandwich for lunch. Had an extra pan of stuffing so that is getting baked today too. Not too many turkey leftovers really, considering we had 5 people eating a 4.6 kg. turkey.

I went to two dinners and came home with two carcases to use for home-made noodle soup at Christmas time. And half a 9-inch mincemeat pie.

a shitload of mashed potatoes (I had to go overboard somewhere )

The next day, mix them with 1 egg per cup of potatoes, season a bit and pipe the mixture over stew, bake in the oven, bliss.

Today, turkey burritos!

And the pressure cooker is simmering away, making the world's best turkey broth.

My meal: chicken, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes (country of origin was actually the US!), apple/celery stuffing, pumpkin pie (made with a Muskatkürbis)

Since it was only two of us, we decided against getting a big turkey. ;)

post-158991-1386233605767.jpg

post-158991-13862336392561.jpg

so I only made a 2 Kg. bird.

You can't do that - last time we asked at our local farmer's market for a turkey under 4 kgs the guy said "Der ist noch Schulpflichtig!"

Anyone doing Thanksgiving today? post pics please. I am working in Detmold... might find a turkey breast some where....maybe...

Oh dude.

We have great friends in Detmold but not Thanksgiving ones. Down in Paderborn are some Americans who do the full thing but I read your post too late. Bummer. Hope you are having a good time - it's a lovely wee place.