Grammar police

187 posts in this topic

Perhaps I'm exposing my ignorance, but I always thought "whence" contained within itself the concept of from, so that it's redundant to say "From whence you came". Whatever the answer, it's probably moot - who uses whence much these days now that the UK no longer has a death penalty.

You are correct, katheliz, "whence" does indeed contain the concept of from, but Merriam-Webster and Oxford Dictionaries both list "from whence" as acceptable. Like you, I think it's wrong, but apparently not.

Usage and abusage of the English language are very similar things nowadays.

An ad on U.S. TV just sent me in search of grrammar, I was so annoyed.

"Your home is you. It is whom you are."

Saw on a thread that on return of a long missing forum member, somebody had posted "glad to see your back". He didn't get it when I replied "Why are you looking at his back? What are you doing round there?".

When people write "ex-pat" when they mean "expat", I like to enquire as to why they changed their name from Pat, thus making them now an ex-pat. They never get it. I should stop that, it's not funny.

I manage to hold back on being a GN, but it's hard. I also mostly manage to avoid saying "that's what she said" but I did think it just there.

Saw on a thread that on return of a long missing forum member, somebody had posted "glad to see your back". He didn't get it when I replied "Why are you looking at his back? What are you doing round there?".

When people write "ex-pat" when they mean "expat", I like to enquire as to why they changed their name from Pat, thus making them now an ex-pat. They never get it. I should stop that, it's not funny.

I manage to hold back on being a GN, but it's hard. I also mostly manage to avoid saying "that's what she said" but I did think it just there.

it's hard

You mean difficult? :)

I find incorrectly written grammar and slightly wrong spelling acceptable to a certain degree. However I find atrocious grammar and spelling infuriating. The obvious candidates which make the hair on my back stand on end are :

• "are" instead of "our" (almost exclusively by people from England)
  • random use of "there", "their" and "they're"
  • "then" instead of "than"
  • "than" instead of "then"
  • 5 or 6 sentences rolled into one huge sentence without a hint of a comma or full stop
  • beginning sentences with a lowercase letter
  • random capitalisation in the middle of sentences (usually when the person is trying to emphasise a word)
  • multiple question marks or exclamation marks at the end of a sentence???!!!????!!!??

Anybody can misspell a word or forget a comma. It is the blatant ignorance of basic things like the above which I find unacceptable, especially from people in high-ranking positions within their company.

One more thing that gets on my wick is when ignorant people try to defend their corner by calling the people who correct them Grammar Nazis.

You're English is so fucked up, Nobody knows what the hell your talking about. Send an Email to whoever you want, nobody gives a fuck..

post-9625-14042545884593.gif

I think the Welsh in general have something against vowels. Otherwise it would be too easy to pronounce the language. Has a lovely sound though.

Their coming home, their coming home, Footballs coming home...;-)

Oh dear weren't you ever taught the difference between their (i.e. belonging to them) and they're (the abbreviation of they are?)