Grammar police

187 posts in this topic

I reckon this would be equally funny if properly written as "New seatbelt design: 45% fewer accidents"

post-42031-13428068823997.jpg

Now, although I have absolutely no sympathy for the DJs, I just hope this doesn't go too far (as it is, it's gone far enough), they made a stupid mistake, didn't consider the consequences, all for the sake of a bit of publicity, BUT two wrongs don't make a right and they are being bullied on an international scale, one person has already taken their life over this, let's hope this doesn't get any worse than it already is so that it costs more lives.

Have some full-stops, they're free! Just copy and paste them one at a time.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ...

Have some full-stops, they're free! Just copy and paste them one at a time.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ....

But then all my commas would feel hard done by ;)

That was fun. And a reminder yet again that even if I know a subject matter, the way questions are formulated for tests is a whole other skillset that I've forgotten. Not to mention wishing we'd ever actually done any grammar in school. I did get 13 out of 14 right, though. Should I be proud that I could pass a test designed for ten-year-olds? -_- :)

I scored 12; fell right into the "pride" trap - grrrroar.

But as a German know-it-all I simply have to correct the Guardian:

"5. Which of the following sentences uses a subordinate clause at the beginning?

Correct answer: In order to stay alive, male penguins keep warm by huddling together" This is a bloody infinitive, not a subordinate clause.

Can someone please pat my head and tell me that I'm right?

I scored 12; fell right into the "pride" trap - grrrroar.

But as a German know-it-all I simply have to correct the Guardian:

"5. Which of the following sentences uses a subordinate clause at the beginning?

Correct answer: In order to stay alive, male penguins keep warm by huddling together" This is a bloody infinitive, not a subordinate clause.

Can someone please pat my head and tell me that I'm right?

" in order to... " is an infinitive CLAUSE stating purpose/reason! ( ie: the answer to " why? " ).

I like penguins...their grammar status is important to me!

14/14. Feck though! Those poor 10 and 11-year-old kids having to take that! Now I see why the leading educationalists in the UK are in uproar about this SPAG (spelling and grammar) test.

I got a 10. Wow, I am somewhat surprised. As if many of you couldn't tell, I suck at grammar. Heh who would of thunk it.

I got 13... forgot that 'pride' can also be a group of lions. :rolleyes:

@john g. + kay: Thanks, I see. The definition of clause you and the Guardian use is different than the one I know: clause = subject + predicate.