Grammar police

187 posts in this topic

This is a wee .... *cough cough* However, it shows just how important it is to get it right.

The importance of capitalization is the difference between

"I helped my Uncle Jack off a horse."

and

"I helped my uncle jack off a horse."

As you can see, I am busy "working".

post-33471-13309808002473.jpg

(I am not going to use this in class, although my students might appreciate it. I do not want to have to explain it :blink: )

... I have been on the Internet for quite a long time and I can navigate it very well. The difference between you and I however is that I use it for more educational purposes.

Don't give up, it may rub off one of these days.

...Now after such a wonderful explanation everyone should test the knowledge.

Is there anyone English Genius, I scored just advanced

A a non-native speaker I feel rather smug getting an advanced score. But saying that, I am a bit 'anal' when it comes to spelling & grammar and even my boss always asks me to edit her papers. Just ask the foreigners :)

"Your result for The Commonly Confused Words Test ...

Advanced

You scored 86% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 67% Expert!

You have an extremely good understanding of beginner, intermediate, and advanced level commonly confused English words, getting at least 75% of each of these three levels' questions correct. This is an exceptional score. Remember, these are commonly confused English words, which means most people don't use them properly. You got an extremely respectable score. "

You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 80% Expert!

Apparently the best way to learn english is to never set foot in an anglophone country :P .

Your result for The Commonly Confused Words Test ...

You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 87% Expert!

You did so extremely well, even I can't find a word to describe your excellence! You have the uncommon intelligence necessary to understand things that most people don't. You have an extensive vocabulary, and you're not afraid to use it properly! Way to go!

Hmmm, I guess being trilingual really does pay off :P

You scored 10% Beginner, 3% Intermediate, 0% Advanced, and 0% Expert!

You did so extremely poorly... Oh forget it, you wouldn't understand what I'm saying anyway, so I'll just put it in words that you've probably heard several (that means more than just three or four times) before: You failed!

A lot less than I did. My actual scores were 100%,100%, 93% and 73%.

I'm thinking the one I got wrong advanced was paid and payed. I thought about that one for a bit. Obviously I got a lot more than that wrong on the expert questions. No idea which ones, though.

Thanks STB (too bad you didn't call yourself Small Town Dude... :P )

it seems the paid/payed was in the intermediate section, not the advanced one, so I got that one right after all. Mine was the spelling

necessary / stationery

You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 87% Advanced, and 80% Expert!

You did so extremely well, even I can't find a word to describe your excellence! You have the uncommon intelligence necessary to understand things that most people don't. You have an extensive vocabulary, and you're not afraid to use it properly! Way to go!

the test is too easy, I'm not even a native speaker!

English Genius

You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 87% Expert!

B)

OT: It's interesting that native and non-native speakers make completely different kinds of mistakes. As a non-native speaker, I have learnt English primarily from books. Consequently, my spelling is usually okay, I don't mix up "their", "there", "they're", and, coming from German, have no problems with subject and object pronouns. The mistakes I often make are <cough> far more severe, e.g. I say or write things that are unidiomatic or that would be considered ungrammatical even in colloquial speech. These mistakes are much more serious when it comes to effective communication and they're also more difficult to get rid of because it's not just about learning a list of words or rules by heart.

It's the same thing with German. Many non-native speakers know the Konjunktiv or prepositions with Genitiv much better than I do, because in colloquial German, these forms are often not used 'grammatically' in the prescriptive sense of the word.

This came across my email today:

Yesterday was Spread the Word to End the Word Day. This is a campaign to encourage people to stop using the word "retarded".

The organization behind the movement to remove the word "retarded".

Article: Should This Word Be Removed from the Language?

Today is Spread The Word To End The Word Day -- and the word on the chopping block is "retarded."

"I pledge and support the elimination of the derogatory use of the r-word from everyday speech and promote the acceptance and inclusion of people with intellectual disabilities," reads the petition that was created (as was the day) by The Special Olympics. Hundreds of thousands of signatures have been collected so far.

... inclusion of people with intellectual disabilities.

Another silly notion on the way to(mental) dictatorship.That would also include all citizens of TT! I have been called retarded often enough by people who had a different point of view,so what? I have(had) the memory of an elephant and the reply reflected it at the most opportune time. :)

This is a campaign to encourage people to stop using the word "retarded".

Maybe you could organise a retard walk like the sluts did.

Where do fucktards stand in all this?