Cyber Monday in Germany

50 posts in this topic

Could be a lot of shopping in general in Germany before the end of the year due to the lower VAT. From January a lot of stuff will become more expensive. :angry: 

On 11/20/2020, 6:40:20, fraufruit said:

What is it you need, dom? 

xmas pressies for the teenage kids!

But I'm interested to know whether there are any actual bargains to be had...

My view on the VAT reduction in DE is that it helps businesses but not the end consumer.

Next year, when VAT goes back up, demand will be less and the price will drop accordingly.

There are usually a lot of good offer on electronics this time of year. Also, clothes and such.

Be careful when buying low cost smart TV's, though. They are usually missing a couple of features that you will wish you had later. 

On 20/11/2020, 19:55:11, lunaCH said:

Could be a lot of shopping in general in Germany before the end of the year due to the lower VAT. From January a lot of stuff will become more expensive. :angry: 

Does it even matter that much for consumer electronics? If I made up my mind to spend 1000 euros, on a TV, will I refuse to buy it if the cost were 1030?. Will 30 euro be deal breaker?? 

2 hours ago, vivanco said:

Does it even matter that much for consumer electronics? If I made up my mind to spend 1000 euros, on a TV, will I refuse to buy it if the cost were 1030?. Will 30 euro be deal breaker?? 

I know I'd rather pay less whatever it is. 

Even buying property is cheaper until the end of the year, because the VAT is lower on some fees. Couple that with corona complications and less prospective buyers viewing and managing to get finance etc. - it was a good time to buy. ;) 

4 hours ago, dom said:

My view on the VAT reduction in DE is that it helps businesses but not the end consumer.

Next year, when VAT goes back up, demand will be less and the price will drop accordingly.

At the time of the VAT going down I had more than 50 items on a 'watch list' or in the shopping basket on Amazon DE - when I logged in on the morning of the first day of lower VAT I was bombarded by messages because 40 items had gone down in price. Quite a saving if you then buy everything. 

Aside from that Amazon have dynamic pricing and their stuff changes price constantly anyway. 

A heck of a lot of items in supermarkets don't have a price that ends in .99 or .95 at the moment because they reduced the price. Others are deducting it as a percentage at the checkout instead. 

So many retailers are passing on the full difference. You'll always have exceptions of course. 

My guess is people will stock up to a certain extent before the end of the year. 

On 23/11/2020, 11:24:30, dom said:

xmas pressies for the teenage kids!

But I'm interested to know whether there are any actual bargains to be had...

There are some really good deals on smart phones with and without contracts. A friend works in the field and was very surprised at some of the offers. 

14 hours ago, engelchen said:

There are some really good deals on smart phones with and without contracts. A friend works in the field and was very surprised at some of the offers. 

It would be interesting to know if this is an effort to liquidate models which are not 5g compatible.  

56 minutes ago, balticus said:

It would be interesting to know if this is an effort to liquidate models which are not 5g compatible.  

Indeed. At the same time, some people are being forced to buy new phones in any case as the 2G networks are gradually being switched off and the older phones no longer work. 

T-Mobile Netherlands has switched off 2G already. 

Swisscom switches 2G off in the new year. Apparently this means tens of thousands of people have to buy new phones in the coming months. :rolleyes: 

Not sure where Germany is on the 2G shutdown. :unsure: 

On 27.11.2020, 16:55:14, engelchen said:

I have to say that the Black Friday/Cyber Monday offers on Amazon aren't really great.

I actually got better prices for the exact same items in the Metro (a printer) or from the manufacturer (rice cooker with therír 20% coupon and free shipping).

Printer toner prices are pretty good on Amazon, though.

Amazon Germany lightning deals are mostly overpriced crap.