Thinking of buying an iPad

35 posts in this topic

Thought this might be easy....Having discovered that it's not possible to buy the most basic model and then upgrade in future, I wanted to find the best option.

Looking on the apple website, they offer Ipad Mini, Ipad 2 and Ipad with retina display. Amazon refers to Ipad 3 and Ipad 4. Which is the very latest version?

Many thanks

4 (with retina display).

The 3 is no longer sold directly from Apple, they only now sell 4, 2 & Mini.

Unless there is a huge discount, get the 4 over the 3. Is quicker, basically.

Students, lecturers, teachers and the like may get a discount. Some others via their employer. Worth a look.

Also may be worth asking at the German Apple Store if there will also be Black Friday discounts - the UK branches do as the US ones and offer a discount the Friday after Thanksgiving if you can wait a bit?

Many thanks Katrina - shame we can't qualify for a discount! I'll ask my husband to phone regarding black Friday discount.

Thanks again

Is it possible to connect an external hard drive to the Ipad 4?

Do I understand this right...the Ipad 4 (with retina display) with only wifi is available now thought the one with cellular is only available end of November though both are still Ipad 4s?

Yes. However, have you got an iPhone or other smartphone?

Because you could use that as a "hot spot" for web access instead of buying the cellular version. Is cheaper and not hard to set up.

You can't connect an external drive by cable (I think), you can connect to one via a network I believe.

Am sure someone will confirm or deny that!

Thanks again Katrina. Think we'll hang on for the November release - perhaps even be able to get a store discount if they have the special day here. I notice that Media Markt and Saturn only now sell up to the version 3 - not sure when they will get them instore.

All the best

Is it possible to connect an external hard drive to the Ipad 4?

Absolutely, but you do it wirelessly. The future is without wires.

In your home, either wirelessly connect to your NAS, PC/Laptop or the cloud where data usage is not an issue.

On the road, you may want to take something like this Seagate Satellite with you: http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/wireless/seagate-satellite/

In either case, the iPad as with all tablets, is simply designed as a device to carry around on it's own, rather than also lug around physically connected hard drives. Some people may bemoan the fact you can't start whacking cables into it and connecting all sorts of other devices, but it's simply not meant to do that.

I would seriously suggest you get yourself along with it, either an ATV or some other device like the Raspberry Pi to Airplay to your TV and Stereo. Combined with this, the iPad/iPhone becomes an amazing device for streaming media, both audio & video)

Or you can't just opt for an Android tables with a Micro SD memory card slot and drop in a 64gb card for aroung 50 Eur.

No need to haul around a bulky Ext. Harddrive, adapters, Power cords, etc. Oh wait, I forgot. iDiots that buy apple gear

love to carry around a bag a adapters/cables with them.. Never mind..

Thank you for your advice ovbg. It's not so easy to work everything out. We are still at the stage of figuring out an iPad versus a laptop. Though like you say, the future is wireless and no doubt portability and connectivity. My husband won an iPhone last year, gave it to me as he had a business one. At that point I felt I had no use for it at all though a year later, I wouldn't be without it. I guess an iPad instead if a laptop feels similarly unfamiliar. Might be a case of trying to compare apples with eggs though!! Still pondering.

Thanks again

I have found that dropbox is a great way of carrying my files around, I keep all my presentations and key documents on it and I can access it on my iPAD or PC, I find powerpoint works great with slideshark (free app). However I still have a PC though for "proper" work as I personally can't do a lot of typing on my iPAD. However for presentations, reading mails/documents and playing the iPAD is nice and light to travel with, I find the screen really sharp and I like the layout .

Just so you know, I am in a job that requires me to present a lot of scientific data and present info - often on the fly! I spend a lot of time traveling and in my situation a tablet is very helpful, I chose an iPAD because it is used by most of my colleagues so I knew a lot of company stuff would be already compatable.

I know bugger all about computers and am I sure there are a zillion arguments for and against, I paid my money and I took my chance and so far I am very happy.

http://www.seagate.c...gate-satellite/

I have one of those. Was a gift. It's pretty pants frankly. You have to make the ipad connect each time over wireless and it has limited battery life. Basically I just never use it.

Sunday Times did a feature on tablets - they mentioned of course that PC sales are actually now going DOWN and that Apple sell more iPads than any single brand sells PC's these days.

I think an iPad with clamcase bluetooth keyboard is a kinda nifty option...just a shame you cannot have a mouse and full browser capability.

http://clamcase.com/...se-trooper.html

post-544-1352116300029.jpg

Yes the above is actually just a case with a bluetooth keyboard. $149 addition to your iPad. Also works as a stand etc etc.

If you do decide to get an ipad I would recommend that you order one in advance, though if they do have any kind of sale that may not be possible, but you would probably need to queue up at the store a few days in advance ;)

Katrina

Thanks for the Black Friday tip....got a good saving today on the Apple website :D

For the new apple stuff people do not talk about the price in terms or money, but in body parts :o

That's a very good price - but are you sure they won't be shipped directly from Hong Kong? If it is, you'll have to pay the import VAT.

I suspect these might be refurbished models, too, although there's no indication on the website (which is semi-legal, if not illegal). Idealo.de says the going price for a 128GB WiFi (no 4G) model is about €450, so remember that is something seems to good to be true, it usually is.

If you're worried about the price, think about whether you really need 128GB. I bought a 64GB model a year-and-a-half ago and it's plenty.